My quest for native 10.4.3. (it's not working)

Zach Thomas

12 posts in this topic

I've been trying to install this on my laptop for the last couple weeks now (hp pavilion zx5000, 3.2ghz hyperthreading, 1GB, 80GB HDD, SSE, SSE2 ect ect...)

I first installed this in VMWare and it installed, booted, and runs just perfectly. Coudln't be happier... or could I :) . After a few other problems (I'll get to them in a minute) I changed the number of processors from 1 to 2. This resulted in the Virtual machine not booting.

After I installed 10.4.3. the jas2 patch dvd on my vmware I attempted a native install. I burnt a dvd with nero and it loaded to the gray circle with a slash through it. DOH. So I read and figured out that -v would show me what was going on. So I punched in -v on my next boot and it said "still waiting for root device". More reading lead me to try rd=disk0s1. This got me past the "still waiting for root device" error.

The error I'm currently stuck on is when it says "panic cpu" or something like that, next time I reboot I'll take a picture of it. I think the problem might be the hyperthreading. I'd like to disable it to find out but my bios doesn't have the ability to turn it off.

Can anyone help this poor soul?

Edited by Zach Thomas

Did you try installing in vmware and then booting it native? For this to work you have to use the "use physical disk" option for your vmware harddrive, so that you are installing to an actual partition. I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked for me once when the install wouldn't work native.

I downloaded the dvd again and got 16139AE55AC283C114A5231F85C3F54C as the check, what is it suppost to be?

Edit: Also, how do you make a "physical disk image" use IDE? Mine wants to use SCSI and I'm assuming that's why my VM won't boot.

Edited by Zach Thomas