How do I find my MAC address?

scsi050

12 posts in this topic

Alright, I've found my back by rebooting and doing an F12 right away to do a PXE boot, then pausing it while it finds a dhcp server. It gave me my mac addr. at that point.

Now the problem is when I try to input the address (ifconfig en1 ether 00:18:8B:D6:17:DA), I get the message "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is down". When I do an ifconfig en1 up, it acts like it works, but still does not allow me to put in a mac addr. How was everyone else able to get around there 00:00:00:00:00:00 address issue?

nice app, but I doubt it will work since osx doesn't know what the mac is either, otherwise when I do an ifconfig, it would tell me.

well if that app. doesn't do....shutdown, pull the board, the MAC is listed on the NIC card....built-in NIC...not sure about that

also what does ifconfig -a and/or ifconfig -d tell you???

Alright, I've found my back by rebooting and doing an F12 right away to do a PXE boot, then pausing it while it finds a dhcp server. It gave me my mac addr. at that point. Now the problem is when I try to input the address (ifconfig en1 ether 00:18:8B:D6:17:DA), I get the message "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is down". When I do an ifconfig en1 up, it acts like it works, but still does not allow me to put in a mac addr. How was everyone else able to get around there 00:00:00:00:00:00 address issue?

"How was everyone else able to get around there 00:00:00:00:00:00 address issue?

"maybe no one else had the issue...!!!!

I have found my mac addr, now I need to get it into osx. When I run the ifconfig en1 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, I get "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is down" (see this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74707"

I say How was everyone else able to get around there 00:00:00:00:00:00 address issue because I have seen many other threads where they get the nic driver working, but get all zeros for the mac. then they run the ifconfig en1 ether command, put in there MAC addr, and it works. No such luck for me though