Should I?.........

WaxTrax!

5 posts in this topic

OSx86 is great. I've been using Tiger as my only OS on my PC for a long time, and now I've been using Leopard for the past two weeks. Next month, I'm going to buy a 17" laptop. I was looking at a top-end Dell Inspiron 1720, configured similarly to the 17" MBP, but with the 2x320 gb hard drive option.

The biggest problem so far that is keeping me from getting that particular computer is that I have read that the nVidia 8600M video card isn't yet working properly.

How likely is it that a fix for this will be found eventually?

Should I just spend the extra $600 and get the MBP even though it has lesser hardware specs? It's true that the 2x320 would be nice to have, but with a combination of wireless-N networking and my 2-TB NAS, this isn't too much of an issue.

Any thoughts?

OSx86 is great. I've been using Tiger as my only OS on my PC for a long time, and now I've been using Leopard for the past two weeks. Next month, I'm going to buy a 17" laptop. I was looking at a top-end Dell Inspiron 1720, configured similarly to the 17" MBP, but with the 2x320 gb hard drive option.

The biggest problem so far that is keeping me from getting that particular computer is that I have read that the nVidia 8600M video card isn't yet working properly.

How likely is it that a fix for this will be found eventually?

Should I just spend the extra $600 and get the MBP even though it has lesser hardware specs? It's true that the 2x320 would be nice to have, but with a combination of wireless-N networking and my 2-TB NAS, this isn't too much of an issue.

Any thoughts?

Hi WaxTrax:

I think it probably depends on which OS you will be using primary (Mac OS X or Windows). If you go with an OSx86 setup, it may be more difficult to get software updates and getting everything to work properly.

There are many switchers on this website who went to real "Mac" because they were so impressed by the whole setup.

--danyel :blink:

I've been a Mac user for quite awhile. In early 2005 I went all-out and spent over 3 grand on a top of the line dual 2.5 G5 (before the dual 2.7's were introduced). But a few months after that, I got the shock of my life when they announced the Intel transition. I was so pissed off, because they had been telling us for all these years how much better PPC was and all that jazz. So I ended up selling that computer (at almost a $1,000 discount since it was after the Intel announcement -- talk about a sting!), and I built a fairly decent PC. A year later, I sold that computer, and got an original Yonah-based 20" iMac. That was a great computer, but I ended up having to sell it about six months ago to pay some bills. In the mean time, I've been working on a 2.8 GHz Pentium D system that I put together with spare parts.

I've decided I've had enough of "desktop computing", and I want to get a laptop, LOL :-)

So, while I don't have anything against Windows, I love the Mac OS so much more. I love the eye candy, and I love having the power of UNIX underneath it all. I've been doing just fine with OSx86 since I sold my iMac -- and I am of the adventurous sort -- I have no problem reformatting a drive (97 times over) and reinstalling an OS to try new stuff out. I essentially have my "serious, stable" drive, and another drive to experiment with.

My two biggest concerns with the Dell Inspiron 1720 are if the Dell 1505 Wireless-N card will work, and the previously-mentioned nVidia 8600M GT video card. Other than those two items, it looks like it would be a great machine.

Right now I think I am leaning more towards the MacBook Pro, though. I suppose, if nothing else, they do tend to hold their value a lot more than any PC does (just not the G5 that I bought, heh)

You shouldn't always go with top of the line. There's almost no difference in performance between the $2000 15" model and the $3000 17" model. The screen size is barely noticeably larger also.

I, myself, got the base 15" MBP in August, and I absolutely love it. I've had zero problems with it and it all runs smoothly. I would think that the 17" model wouldn't fit a lot of cases, since mine BARELY fits the one I have. Also, it would be heavier to carry around. That's why I went with the lower option. If you want, you can configure a 15" MBP to 17" specs. I just think the 17" might be a little too big.

True 17" is only 1.5" larger than the 15.4, but if I got the 17" I'd definitely get the hi-res display. That's where my catch would be, the difference between 1440x900 and 1920x1200. You've definitely given me something to think about, though. I think I'm going to go to an Apple store and mess around for awhile and see.

Love your nick BTW! LOL

"....my love for you is ticking clock...."