Leopard+Vista+Ubuntu - How to?

GujuLvr

7 posts in this topic

Hi, i am trying to install Leopard+Vista+Ubuntu in same hard drive, before i start i want to find out, what's best way to do it. can someone hlep me out here? Thank you in advance.

1)Partition the hd into 2 MBR partition and empty space for linux.

2')Install Windows into 1 partition, and linux into the empty space.

3)Install OS X into the remaining partition and set it as bootable, use either of the other two oses to do it.

4)Boot into single user mode and install PC_EFI on your os X.

5)Now boot the liveCD from your linux and set the active(boot) partition to the one where Ubuntu installed grub.

6)You will need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

this is my one as an example

timeout 15
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

default	1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title MEPIS
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda3 
boot

title Leo EFI Boot
root (hd0,1)
kernel /pc_efi/boot_81

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

title Cub boot V5
root (hd0,1)
kernel /pc_efi/boot_v5

title MEPIS at sda2, previous kernel (if any)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda2 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda3 
boot

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

the /pc_efi/boot_81 points to the location of the EFI bootloader not the leo partition, it can be any partition that grub can read - I use my Mepis one to keep all the grub stuff in one place. You'd use some other version of boot depending on your hardware (the _81 one will boot the second drive and you are using HD0.) The default switch sets leo as the default boot ('duh).

that's it done...

P.S. the latest PC_EFI let's you use GUID partition tables (same as a real Mac), the steps would be the same, check out http://netkas.org/ for latest updates and how tos. I'm stuck w/ MBR as I don't have a spare drive to backup my OSX partition to.

1)Partition the hd into 2 MBR partition and empty space for linux.

2')Install Windows into 1 partition, and linux into the empty space.

3)Install OS X into the remaining partition and set it as bootable, use either of the other two oses to do it.

4)Boot into single user mode and install PC_EFI on your os X.

5)Now boot the liveCD from your linux and set the active(boot) partition to the one where Ubuntu installed grub.

6)You will need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

this is my one as an example

timeout 15
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

default	1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title MEPIS
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda3 
boot

title Leo EFI Boot
root (hd0,1)
kernel /pc_efi/boot_81

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

title Cub boot V5
root (hd0,1)
kernel /pc_efi/boot_v5

title MEPIS at sda2, previous kernel (if any)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/sda2 nomce quiet splash vga=791 resume=/dev/sda3 
boot

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

the /pc_efi/boot_81 points to the location of the EFI bootloader not the leo partition, it can be any partition that grub can read - I use my Mepis one to keep all the grub stuff in one place. You'd use some other version of boot depending on your hardware (the _81 one will boot the second drive and you are using HD0.) The default switch sets leo as the default boot ('duh).

that's it done...

Its more complicated then i thought lol, still i will give a try. Thankx alot

Its more complicated then i thought lol, still i will give a try. Thankx alot

It's not really, it just looks like it is when you write it out. Aside from the installs, it's a couple of reboots so you can install PC_EFI and edit one text file.

Ubuntu should configure grub for Windows & itself automatically, so you will just need to add something like this into menu.lst

title Leo EFI Boot

root (hd0,1)

kernel /pc_efi/boot_81

First line is just a menu title, second points to the partition for your pc_efi boot files (in my case it's partition 1 of the first drive (hd0)), the last line just selects the boot loader appropriate for your system.

Other then that, it's just the case of using the correct boot loaders. If you want, you can just setup osX first, then you won't have to muck around with fixing up boot partitions as much. I.E.

1)install OS X, pc_efi it

2)install windows

3)install Ubuntu

4)fix up grub's menu.lst

This is probably the easier way -if you don't already have win/*nix on the drive and are doing a clean install. You'll discover that each OS will have a tendency to trash the MBR making the previous one before it unbootable; that's ok, once linux puts grub on we configure it to sort the mess out.

• 1 month later...

And what If i want to boot choosing between OSX and Ubuntu from an external USB drive ?

I'd like to have Vista in internal drive, and when needed boot from USB disk for OSX or Linux.

Thanks.

Max

• 1 year later...

I am having an issue with defining the OSX partition in grub. Some reason my 1Tb drive with all my OS's on it is seen as sd, (assuming second drive as I am new to linux but I learn quick). It is second to an IDE drive. Trying to add my OSX partition is proving to be a pain since I cannot find how to lable the drive, (hdx,y). Is there a command to find out how to lable my OSX in Grub? I am probably not giving enough info so please ask away, and understand that I am new to terminal commands. And I have searched ever known page on the subject.

I am wondering if I can use the information below fo truely find out where OSX is.

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS

# on /dev/sdb2

title Windows Vista (loader)

rootnoverify (hd1,1)

savedefault

makeactive

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

chainloader +1

So... Let's begin, shell we?

I'm not a Linux guru myself. But I use it occasionally and use the GRUB to boot all my OS'es (Linux/Windows/OSX). So have some experience on booting OSX with GRUB.

Basically drives in Linux are named as follows:

hda - the first primary disk. IDE or ATA

sda - the first primary disk. SATA or SCSI

so the second disk would be sdb, the third sdc and so on.

Though the GRUB names the same disks in the other way:

sda in GRUB's terms would be hd0

sdb in GRUB's terms would be hd1

sdc in GRUB's terms would be hd2 and so on.

Now partitions are named as follows:

the first is 0, the second is 1, the third is 2 and so on.

If you have OS X on the same disk (as Linux and GRUB installed) but on a different partition (as it is in your case) add this to GRUB's menu:

title OS X (or any other name you want)
  rootnoverify (hd1,2)
  makeactive
  chainloader (hd1)+1

This assumes you have a Chameleon installed together with OS X. (hd1,2) tell the GRUB to boot the OS which is installed on the second disk's the 3 partition. Change it to (hd1,0) if you have OS X installed on the first partition.

Now if you use an EFI with OS X (not the chameleon) add this:

title OS X
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/boot_v8

Note that this method assumes you have the Linux (together with the GRUB) installed on the second disk's, the first partition. Change (hd1,0) to (hd1,2) if it is installed on the third partition. Also note that this method require the boot_v8 file to be present in /boot folder of the Linux. You can get this file inside the EFI V8 package (or PM me - I'll send you it). Basically (hd1,0) in this case must be the same value as in Debian's portion of the GRUB menu.

The windows portion of the GRUB's menu tells, you have Windows installed on the second disk, to the second partition. So accordingly you have a Linux or OS X installed on the first partition.

There it is my GRUB's menu (in case you are interested):

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
		  title openSUSE 11.1
			  root (hd0,5)
			  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.25-0.1-default root=/dev/sda6 resume=/dev/sdc8 splash=silent showopts
			  initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.25-0.1-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
		  title WindowsXP64
			  rootnoverify (hd0,0)
			  chainloader +1

title OS X
			  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
			  makeactive
			  chainloader (hd1)+1

I have Linux and Windows installed on the first disk (actually two disks in RAID0 mode), and OS X on a second SATA disk.