What is Apple's deal?

31 posts in this topic

but what about the OSX selling income

Apple can make money with selling Hard- and Software to 5.000.000 customers

or they maybe can make money with selling Software (OSX, Aperture, iLife, Logic, ...) to 50.000.000 customers

And in the future it will be more important which OS is running on your devices (computer, phone, mobile player, refridgerator ...)

arghh... They tried it in the early 90s, remember, nearly sunk the company. And, there's no proof that there's a horde of switchers out there... People get os X because of the computers not vice-versa.

People get os X because of the computers not vice-versa.

i'm buying Macs because of the OS

i would buy a cheaper PC, if i could run legally OS X on it

and many interessted people say that Macs are to expensive

you get a PC + printer + screen for 599 Euros - an iMac costs twice

arghh... They tried it in the early 90s, remember, nearly sunk the company.
You are probably talking to people who would not have been using Apple products in the early 90s, and so they are not going to remember how it nearly killed off the company.

They do not understand the cause and effect between the two.

but what about the OSX selling income

or they maybe can make money with selling Software (OSX, Aperture, iLife, Logic, ...) to 50.000.000 customers

And in the future it will be more important which OS is running on your devices (computer, phone, mobile player, refridgerator ...)

Supply and demand. Marketing OS X would force them to raise the price (which in turn reduces demand, forcing more price hikes) in order to stay profitable. This, as noted, reduces demand and reduced demand means less people are buying, turning into a vicious cycle of price hikes to stay profitable.

So unless you want OS X to head to the $5 bin, you'll stop asking for this.

Ahh the grand illusion that Mac users would pay for all their software.

I'd be willing to bet that the large percentage of the population that is illegally copying Windows and MS Office now would do the same thing switching to OS X and its apps.

As a company CEO would you want take that chance from leaving a profitable system to one hoping you make enough software sales to cover increased support costs, lost hardware sales, and pirating?