Help with BadAxe2 loose ends?

dter

4 posts in this topic

Hello all. After lots of lurking & reading, my new hackintosh is finally up & running. Special thanks to netkas, BJMoose, I_am...me, and Onetrack for the great hacking & info.

My system is a badaxe2 with latest BIOS & Q6600 running 10.5.1, installed using the sticky instructions for Kalyway boot CD, Brazilmac, and pc_efi_v52. (Tried to do a GUID install with EFI 7.2 just for the heck of it, but I'm experiencing the same incompatibilities with the badeaxe2 as have already been reported.)

At any rate, the MBR/EFI 5.2 installation seems to be running well, except for a couple of problems. In order of importance:

My network connection doesn't reliably connect after a shutdown or reboot. The only way to restore a network connection is to open Safari & System Preferences, launch the network assistant & have it tell me my network cable is unplugged. Usually within a minute Safari picks up the connection and I have network access. However, even though mail/sync/safari have full access the System Preferences control panel *always* says the ethernet cable is unplugged! Does anyone have any ideas how I might fix this problem? My connection is a hardwired ethernet connection to an airport express. No other devices (MacBook, XB360, other computer) has this problem when connected to the airport.

Also as has been mentioned in the sticky post, my Leopard install partition appears as an external drive in the finder (yellow icon). I'm wondering if this might have to do with the SATA headers in use. I've connected HD to SATA 0 and DVD-ROM to SATA 1. Should I be using other headers on the motherboard?

Anyway, that seems to be it so far. If I could just figure out the network issue, I think I'll be happy until a GUID fix comes along for this board.

Thanks again for all the help!

Try this to correct hard drive icons incorrectly displayed as external drive icons:

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

I'm not sure I understand what is happening with your network. From v10.4.4, the network on the BA2 has been pretty rock solid. I've never encountered a problem with it other than to change some settings to enable FCS2 to run properly.

Thanks again for the help.

The networking problem is definitely peculiar. First of all, the network connection is lost after system sleep, restart, shutdown, and even low power mode (when monitor sleeps, but system isn't completely sleeping).

To restore the network, I have to do this:

1) Open the "Network" System Preference.

2) Select Ethernet Adaptor (en0) for configuration.

3) Select Assist me..., then Assistant...

4) Tell the Assistant that I connect via a LAN, then Continue to connect.

The assistant fails to connect (so it says) but behind the scenes the connection is established. Safari will immediately update the requested page, Mail will refresh, etc. and the network connection is established for all other applications (including VMware with VPN, etc). However, the Network System Preference pane still says that en0 has the cable unplugged.

It's all very strange. I'm thinking maybe I should re-install via Brazilmac... Not sure what I could've done wrong. I didn't do the Brazilmac postpatch script, so kernel & kext should be all vanilla...

• 8 months later...
Thanks again for the help.

The networking problem is definitely peculiar. First of all, the network connection is lost after system sleep, restart, shutdown, and even low power mode (when monitor sleeps, but system isn't completely sleeping).

To restore the network, I have to do this:

1) Open the "Network" System Preference.

2) Select Ethernet Adaptor (en0) for configuration.

3) Select Assist me..., then Assistant...

4) Tell the Assistant that I connect via a LAN, then Continue to connect.

The assistant fails to connect (so it says) but behind the scenes the connection is established. Safari will immediately update the requested page, Mail will refresh, etc. and the network connection is established for all other applications (including VMware with VPN, etc). However, the Network System Preference pane still says that en0 has the cable unplugged.

It's all very strange. I'm thinking maybe I should re-install via Brazilmac... Not sure what I could've done wrong. I didn't do the Brazilmac postpatch script, so kernel & kext should be all vanilla...

i have the same problem whit leo4all, iaktos and kalyway?

any solutions? please help me i try it for a days....