New Intel X38 Anyone get a hack running?

GTR-33

4 posts in this topic

Well I'm looking to build a good hack and I can't decide on what logic board to use. It would seem the that the D975XBX2 is the most compatible board period, but the chip set is a year old and it's replacement is available from a few sources. The DX38BT with DDR3 and a few other things that trump the previous extreme board. Now I understand that new usually means less than full compatibility in this world of hacks, but has ANYONE built anything with the X38 chip set? I might go with the BX2 simply because of the price drop. Tiger Direct has them for 180 now. That's a nice little 50 dollar drop, that I'm sure will drop a little more once the BT becomes more widely available.

Ouch. DDR3.

You may as well just burn the money!

I can't see any reason for OS X not to run perfectly on that board though. ICH9-R is well known to work well in terms of its AHCI ports and HDA controller, although the particular HD codec may be an issue.

Out of interest, if you're not planning on running Crossfire, what's the point in choosing X38 over P35 for you? It doesn't overclock any better, and the memory controller doesn't appear to be faster in the real world, clock for clock. Mostly, it's hotter, and more expensive.

Well I'm looking to build a good hack and I can't decide on what logic board to use. It would seem the that the D975XBX2 is the most compatible board period, but the chip set is a year old and it's replacement is available from a few sources. The DX38BT with DDR3 and a few other things that trump the previous extreme board. Now I understand that new usually means less than full compatibility in this world of hacks, but has ANYONE built anything with the X38 chip set? I might go with the BX2 simply because of the price drop. Tiger Direct has them for 180 now. That's a nice little 50 dollar drop, that I'm sure will drop a little more once the BT becomes more widely available.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, comparing the P35 chipset to the X38, and it seems the X38 doesn't offer a lot extra other than PCI Express 2.0 which probably won't be necessary for a year or two (the new Nvidia 8800GT uses PCI-E 2.0 but it's not a requirement, besides the 8800GT won't work well in a Hackintosh anyway).

Read this excellent article about the X38 chipset: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/26/intel_x38_chipset

• 2 months later...

Anyone build a DX38BT system yet?

I sold my D945GNTLKR system to a friend.

Now time to build another one

Update - I read the article on X38.

Seems that there is no reason to go to X38 when P35 is in the same performance neighborhood.