10.5.1 - removable media getting intermittent..

Findibulator

4 posts in this topic

This is an odd one...

My hack has been working fine until recently.

It started with my iPod occasionally not mounting / showing up in iTunes until I rebooted.

I blamed it on the iPod, but now I find USB and firewire driver are exhibiting the same behavior.

System profiler will show them listed under USB and/or firewire devices and recognizes them for what they are, but the don't mount or show up in disk utility.

My USB keyboard, etc. seem to be fine.

I did notice one time in the past I had to hot plug my webcam (x-box USB cam) in order for the system to see it, but believe that was only once.

Before it was only happening occasionally, but as of last night, this is consistently happening.

Is there a particular kext the handles external storage devices that may be causing the issue?

I on ToH Leo install, updated to 10.5.1 - not using EFi at this time. Bad Axe 2 board.

Any ideas?

This is an odd one...

It started with my iPod occasionally not mounting / showing up in iTunes until I rebooted.

I blamed it on the iPod, but now I find USB and firewire driver are exhibiting the same behavior.

System profiler will show them listed under USB and/or firewire devices and recognizes them for what they are, but the don't mount or show up in disk utility.

I did notice one time in the past I had to hot plug my webcam (x-box USB cam) in order for the system to see it, but believe that was only once.

Before it was only happening occasionally, but as of last night, this is consistently happening.

Is there a particular kext the handles external storage devices that may be causing the issue?

I on ToH Leo install, updated to 10.5.1 - not using EFi at this time. Bad Axe 2 board.

Any ideas?

I'm having problems with a Seagate FreeAgent Pro drive. USB works fine, but if I try firewire it shows the firewire device but won't mount the partitions. Well, about 10 percent of the time it will mount. Disk Utility doesn't show the drive either...

Really annoying.

This is an odd one...

Any ideas?

I´m having the exact same issue, I was hoping to find the answer for this too. Please keep us posted if you find out anything.

This is an odd one...

Any ideas?

I think I fixed this problem. For some reason I don´t know (probably because of messing with the extensions all the time), my AplleSMBIOS.kext was an older version 1.0.1 (06/21). I noticed I had another version, actually same version, 1.0.1, but the file is dated 10/03. So I just replaced it, repaired permissions etc, and now my usb works again without having to reboot. If you want the kext PM me.

hope I could help.