Leo 10.5.1 with EFI... kind of

phobox

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

I spent all of monday trying to install pc efi and update my Leo to 10.5.1, I have finally managed to do it but during the process I think some things went wrong.. allow me to explain.

Basically I have Tiger installed on partition 1 and I installed Leo ToH RC2 to partition 2 and applied the necessary patches to it for my hardware etc... everything was working perfectly. I then installed pc efi 5.2 on the Leo partition and I also replaced AppleSMBIOS with the updated one that Netkas provides. Restarted and Leo wouldnt boot, it would get stuck on a blue screen and wouldnt proceed any further. I then installed AppleACPIPlatform vanilla and the kernel would then get stuck before it even got to the blue screen. So I replaced both AppleSMBIOS and AppleACPIPlatform with the originals that came on the ToH install disk... system booted up fine. I updated manually to 10.5.1 using Pacifist and downloaded the ToH 9.1.0 kernel... system boots fine and works perfectly. BUT my question is, did the efi install work at all? I cant tell, especially seeing as the AppleSMBIOS (netkas) and AppleACPIPlatform (vanilla) dont seem to work at all.

Also as a side effect, since installing efi I cant boot my old Tiger partition, the kernel just gets stuck (doesnt panic, just gets stuck during boot)... while thats not a huge issue, I'd be interested as to why its happened.

Can anyone shed any light on why netkas's AppleSMBIOS and the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform kexts dont work on this system? My specs are in my sig btw.

Thanks for all your input,

Phobox

Yeah I know I cant use a vanilla kernel on my hardware.. and I never tried. Im using the ToH kernel (9.1.0) which reportedly works fine with EFI, so that isnt the issue. Its just AppleSMBIOS (netkas's version supplied with pc efi) and the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform that seem to cause me boot problems. That leads me to believe that the efi installation somehow went wrong.