Two noob questions

openxs

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have used Tiger 10.4.8 in the past on my Core2Duo 6300/Asus P5LD2-VM SE, which is still compatible with Leopard (checked in the wiki). Two quick questions:

1. There're a lot of releases floating around, which do I get? Need just the name.

2. Is a hackintosh as (or nearly) efficient and faster as a real mac? I mean, if the the patches slow down my system, I would better stick to Vista.

Thanks.

The patches don't slow you down, except MAYBE during boot, but even then its not much at all.

ToH RC2 worked great for me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ohk, cool.

But there're several releases of 6-7GB, is ToH RC2 a stripped up version with limited functionalities?

Also, I should NEVER download updates from apple after installation, right? I have a previous experience with this on tiger, but just wondering if its different on leopard?

Thanks.

But there're several releases of 6-7GB, is ToH RC2 a stripped up version with limited functionalities?

no, it may work fine, but it does not offer patches, drivers and things like e.g. JaS 10.4.8 had. it´s one of the first releases after leopard was public, so it still has a few bugs and runs a modified kernel.

Also, I should NEVER download updates from apple after installation, right? I have a previous experience with this on tiger, but just wondering if its different on leopard?

the main difference to the really adoreable releases is PC_EFI. PC_EFI is a way to emulate EFI (use wikipedia ;-) in the bootloader, which makes it possible to run the original apple kernel (vanilla kernel) in your hackintosh. this allows you to update via apple´s sofware update. there are several ways to get that working, maybe you should have a look at this one:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72493

if this is too much work for you, you may want to wait for "iATKOS" release, which will work with PC_EFI and offer all the patches around. there´s no release date yet, i guess it will be somewhere between "in a few weeks" and "soon".