New to OSX...

willowhaven

2 posts in this topic

Okay, things have changed QUITE a bit since OS9, and I am thoroughly confused. Like...how do you rename a file on OSX? I seem to remember just holding and clicking on the filename and it would highlight and you could change it (it has been years, so forgive me if I am wrong on that), but I can't find for the life of me how to rename anything. Also, my power meter is no longer on the finder bar, and I can't figure out how to get it back. It was there until I got my airport working, and it hasn't been there since. Any ideas? And we won't even go into my woes of networking with a PC, but that is a complaint for a different day. But anyway, I guess the two things I need help with the most is the file renaming and the power/battery meter on the finder bar.

Jennifer

Okay, things have changed QUITE a bit since OS9, and I am thoroughly confused. Like...how do you rename a file on OSX? I seem to remember just holding and clicking on the filename and it would highlight and you could change it (it has been years, so forgive me if I am wrong on that), but I can't find for the life of me how to rename anything. Also, my power meter is no longer on the finder bar, and I can't figure out how to get it back. It was there until I got my airport working, and it hasn't been there since. Any ideas? And we won't even go into my woes of networking with a PC, but that is a complaint for a different day. But anyway, I guess the two things I need help with the most is the file renaming and the power/battery meter on the finder bar.

Jennifer

To rename a file, highlight it, and hit Enter. As far as the power meter goes, System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options -> Show battery status in menu bar.

Edit: Don't forget that the Help menu is EXTREMELY helpful now, as you can click Help, and then type your search term. It uses Spotlight to show the related items right in the menu.