[HOWTO] Leopard flat image, upgraded to 10.5.1 using pc_efi: my experience.

GinKage

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

First, my situation: I have set up Leopard via flat image, fixed TimeMachine, installed a bunch of programs, got perfect environment around me... And then, all these 10.5.1 upgrades and PC_EFI pop out, with all those HOWTO's none of them actually applicable for me. Here's why.

I have a Core 2 Duo on Asus P5B (good), Leopard installed on third (sic!) hard drive, connected via IDE (bad).

None of Mac OS X install DVD's sees any of my two IDE hard drives, only the SATA one. I've tried uphuck's Tiger, ToH's Leopard, and original Leopard, without any luck. So, no chance to use Terminal or Disk Utility from DVD. Bummer.

Still, I've managed to install 10.5.1 and Vanilla kernel. What I needed:

Netkas's pc_efi v5.2 (naturally);

ToH's mach_kerel (and, of course, IONetworkingFamily.kext).

I had Ubuntu Linux installed on second drive, with GRUB. It helped a lot, but it's not required. The point is, while Leopard hard disk had original bootloader, I could still boot with or without pc_efi at any time. Actually, I'm sure it is not required.

What should be done:

Of course, install flat image (see other guides for it).

First, we're going to follow pc_efi readme file and create /iamefi folder with the pc_efi package contents in it.

Next, we need to have ToH's kernel put in / , rename it to mach_kernel.toh .

Now, reboot. At Darwin boot, press F8, type in -s, Enter.

We're going to change a few things at once.

Step 0. Get ready.

/sbin/mount -uw / (we'll need to modify some files)

Step 1. Get set.

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (remove extensions cache)

Step 2. Backup.

mv AppleSMBIOS.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext.brazil (backup)

mv AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.brazil (ToH's kernel crashed on it, anyway Netkas suggests not using it as it makes CPU hotter)

mv AppleEFIRuntime.kext AppleEFIRuntime.kext.brazil (all kernels had a crash on it when using pc_efi)

Step 3. Let's fix some.

cp -R /iamefi/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions (I want to avoid any crashes, and I like when Profiler tells truth)

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext (repair permissions)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext (repair owner)

If we're speaking about new and clean flat image install, you'll want to fix Time Machine as well:

mv IONetworkingFamily.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext.brazil

cp -R ~/IONetworkingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions (assuming the correct kext is in our home folder)

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

Step 4. Kernel shuffle.

Either:

chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel.toh

chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel.toh

OR (seee below)

mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.orig

mv /mach_kernel.toh /mach_kernel

chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel

chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel

Step 5. New boots.

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5 (we have removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext, so this is our only chance to boot now, either that or via GRUB)

Step 6. Go!

reboot

On reboot, you may need to press F8 and enter mach_kernel.toh or do nothing: it only depends on what you chose above in step 4. I actually did some extra moving, and in the end I had all of them: mach_kernel.vanilla, mach_kernel.brazil, mach_kernel.toh... But, in any case, we will boot using ToH kernel, as it disables workarounds if it finds EFI!

After reboot, you should see a perfectly working 10.5.0, with System Profiler saying we've got a Mac Pro.

I had a glitch at this point: my CPU was shown to be Core 2 Solo, not Duo. I ignored this.

Run System Update, and install 10.5.1. Reboot.

The glitch with Solo/Duo had gone after the update, thanks to the new Vanilla kernel.

It seems that this is the only way to get the thing done in one pass. I've done it in many, occasionaly trashing my installation and recovering again by some miracle... I had crashes on AppleEFIRuntime, on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, I booted in every single conceivable way, and got it wrong too many times. Now, it's working. Me happy. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, my Leopard is installed on IDE drive, and update haven't trashed my installation, because all the needed extensions like ACPI platform etc. were already in the system (thanks to flat image), and the new kernel also works fine with them.

raven2586, maybe you should use /rdisk1s1 instead of /disk1s1... Or you are not in "safe mode"?

BTW, sometimes it took me several times to write pc_efi properly: I installed it, tried to boot, failed, then installed again, and then it worked. That's one of the reasons to keep old kernel and use ToH's instead of Vanilla one: we can still boot safe mode without EFI at all.

So, try rebooting in safe mode again and use /dev/rdisk...

raven2586, maybe you should use /rdisk1s1 instead of /disk1s1... Or you are not in "safe mode"?

BTW, sometimes it took me several times to write pc_efi properly: I installed it, tried to boot, failed, then installed again, and then it worked. That's one of the reasons to keep old kernel and use ToH's instead of Vanilla one: we can still boot safe mode without EFI at all.

So, try rebooting in safe mode again and use /dev/rdisk...

i have a pentium 4 with HT , no core 2 duo.. so i guess the vanilla kernel and efi wont work for me or is there some scope if my bios has the XD or something something setting... its sse3 and all.. ne ideas ne1 ?

besides i did not boot into safe mode i just booted into single user mode so that might have been a problem... but i guess i will try that only if my pc will support that i have an intel 915 gav mother board and nvidia 7600 gt because after i did all those patches my comp wont boot.. wud just hang at the greay apple logo screen.. soi guess unless it'll work i wont try it.. will just wait till an upgrade to core2duo :blink: and then try it :(

Well, by safe mode I really did mean single-user mode (I forgot the name). And, yes, you'll need a Conroe for this to work.

i read somewhre that its really a setting called XD or something that makes the difference because as i understand my processor has all the instruction sets SSE3 and all.. and my motherboard has that setting.. so that means i can get pc_efi and vanilla kernels to work? any thoughts? ideas?

Hard to say, really. As far as I understand, pc_efi writes a specific block to RAM, which is used by OS to identify the computer as a Mac Pro, i.e. Core2-based Intel Mac system (and, also, another block to identify your graphics card). It probably needs another block for another processor, or something...

Anyway, you may want to try fresh-released uphuck's leopard 10.5.1 installation dvd. Maybe it'll work for you.

Hard to say, really. As far as I understand, pc_efi writes a specific block to RAM, which is used by OS to identify the computer as a Mac Pro, i.e. Core2-based Intel Mac system (and, also, another block to identify your graphics card). It probably needs another block for another processor, or something...

Anyway, you may want to try fresh-released uphuck's leopard 10.5.1 installation dvd. Maybe it'll work for you.

thanks a ton man.. ur the sweetest guy i've ever met :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Followed the guide perfectly and got a blue screen with cursor, any ideas?

PS:I used V8 instead of V5 but I don't think that should be the problem.

Did you ever get it sorted out?

I'm thinking about using this method but am afraid to lose my perfectly working 10.5.0 install.