bought the "Perfect Motherboard" but still no sound?

andytof47

12 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I finally have leopard working on my shiny new system but as the thread name sugests there is no sound on my system---which is kind of weird I guess because I've been reading a few threads that say "it just works"

while everything else is working and i'm ecstatic it is......I have no sound and I have tried installing an azalia.kext and an alc 883 package and an alc 888 package I still have no sound...

any help please....

I've had mixed success/failure with this problem on the ALC888. Sometimes I get it to work with Azalia, other times nothing works. I never had the 888 kexts work for me though it supposedly works for some ppl. Maybe the next round of kexts will do it, or the leopard installs for EFI will work, who knows?

My work around is to get a little C-media usb sound dongle for $20 - small as a USB stick, and use that. I've found I never needed to install any kexts or drivers and it works with sound in and out, fully accessible through audio midi setup. I plug it in the back USB and aside from sticking out a bit, it's every bit as functional (more so really) than the onboard sound, and saves you the hassle of kext-somnia...

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/usb_audio

I'm not plugging a particular brand, just that this one has always worked for me. I'm sure there are others...

Being a purist, this does bother me a little, but I would rather spend more time USING my computer than tinkering.. a bit of a contradiction using OSX86, I know, but there has to be a balance somewhere...

Being a purist, this does bother me a little, but I would rather spend more time USING my computer than tinkering.. a bit of a contradiction using OSX86, I know, but there has to be a balance somewhere...

Yeah, I know we need to give and take a little but I thought these work straight off the bat?? Is it because I'm using the Leopard install??? Does anyone have any other solutions?