ToH Leopard RC2 Installer Won't Load

jeremiahzg

7 posts in this topic

I downloaded ToH Leopard RC2 and burned it to a DVD+RW at 1x. Upon rebooting, the DVD loads the proper kexts and then halts shortly after setting the graphics mode. Here is the log. The following boot parameters were tried, with no different outcome:

• -v
  • -v -s
  • -v -x
  • -v -s -x
  • -v platform=X86PC
  • -v -s platform=X86PC
  • -v -x platform=X86PC
  • -v -s -x platform=X86PC

Here are my system specifications:

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 1.30 GHz
  • Memory: 512 MB (4x 128 MB) RDRAM
  • Power: 300W
  • Graphics (from lspci on Linux): nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2); NVidia / SGS Thomson (Joint Venture) Riva128 (rev 10)
  • Hard disks: 120 GB Western Digital (7200 RPM), 1 GB Samsung (? RPM)

Those are all of the specifications that I know...this is a prebuilt Gateway from 1999 with upgraded memory, power, and hard disks.

Currently I have Tiger 10.4.1 (flat install) up and running very nicely, albiet lacking in software. 10.4.1 is incredibly outdated, so if anyone could assist me in installing 10.5.0, that would be great!

- Jeremiah

I don't exactly know...like I said, it's a prebuilt Gateway from 1999. My sister gave it to me before I even knew that other operating systems besides Windows existed. Tomorrow I'll take it apart and see if there's anything printed on the hardware.

Dood, your computer is super duper ancient. If it's really from 1999, you will be NOT running a Pentium 4 but rather Pentium 3, 2, or Pro..

But the fact that you're using RDRAM and a 1.30ghz P4, means you're running generation 1 stuff. Most likely your computer was made around early mid 2001 since the 1.3ghz cpu was released after the 1.4 and 1.5 ghz models. All you have is SSE2. You'll need to follow these directions found in this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68077 (provided you could actually even install and boot)

But since you can't even get that far, Maybe it's time to consider an upgrade or consider a different installation method, ie flat img?

[PS-You might want to consider changing the subject (if you can) to say "Toh Leopard RC2 Installer Won't Load" to clarify your issue to lurkers]

I'm aware that it's SSE2-only, that's why I tried the ToH RC2...it said SSE2/SSE3...

jeremiahzg$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i flags
flags		   : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm up

Upgrading is currently not an option. It's likely to become on in mid-2008, but not right now. I'll try a flat image, which is what I used for Tiger, but the image's file system information has a set size, and I've allocated roughly 40 GB for Leopard and would like to be able to utilize it. Perhaps I'll start a separate thread.