install on x40 stuck

troeper

6 posts in this topic

I burned a new Jas dvd last night that wont boot up with an external DVD drive. The file's name is "10.4.6.install.dvd.iso"

It's about 4.6 gb in size, but when win rar looks at it unpacked there's only 128 mb (yes mb) of files, most of which start with BOOT, or have boot in the name.

it was downloaded as a torrent.

Do i have a bad file? Or am i a dork newbie and need help from the gods at this forum.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Read 128MB in Windows is correct, because the rest files are in different format and can't be read in Windows.

Bruce

You see there I thought normally you get this small value in windows. Can't remember exactly what but <1MB comes to mind. So when he said 128MB I didn't know what that was and so said nothing about it.

If it's an iso file then you need to burn it to DVD. Then because your using an external DVD drive you need to make sure your bios is reading external usb devices.

Thanks for your reply, Mebster.

I've got it burned, and i've got the x40 set to burn from external DVD. However, it wont boot. Somewhere i read that there are special settings in burning a DVD that will be a boot dvd, and i can't at present find exactly if this is true and if so, what the settings are.

Using Nero SE.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply, Mebster.

I've got it burned, and i've got the x40 set to burn from external DVD. However, it wont boot. Somewhere i read that there are special settings in burning a DVD that will be a boot dvd, and i can't at present find exactly if this is true and if so, what the settings are.

Using Nero SE.

Thanks for your reply.

When my Dell starts up on the first Dell screen on the top right it tells me F12 (i think that's what it is) will take me to boot options. Once I go into that I am able to select external usb DVD-drives and this will boot the OS X DVD.

Now you either need to do something similar and look for your boot options. Or you need to go into your BIOS and make your DVD drive the first boot drive in the order. That way it will look into your DVD when the pc starts and read from there first. If it has a DVD in it it'll load it. If there's nothing there it'll just load from the HDD.

I would also suggest maybe using a different burning program and possibly even different DVDs.