[How to] Enable ICH8R in Leopard 10.5.1 and up

wmarsh

21 posts in this topic

This proved to be remarkably easy, However none of the Tiger patches worked.

This was done on Dell E520 with BIOS in RAID0 mode, no hard disks actually raided.

1) Using Finder Go, Folder Open /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

2) Delete if present AppleAHCIPort.kext and AppleViaATA.kext.

They are old versions that don't load anyway.

3) Using Finder Go, Folder Open /System/Library/Extension/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/

4) Edit Info.plist with TextEdit. Just above the OSBundleLibraries line, insert the following:

<key>ICH8RAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH8-R AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x28218086 0x28228086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

5) Use Save As to save to desktop (You don't have permissions to edit directly), then move saved copy to /System/Library/Extensions

6) In Terminal, type following:

sudo bash

<enter password>

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel AppleAHCIPort.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleAHCIPort.kext

kextload AppleAHCIPort.kext

7) It just works. FAT and HFS+ partitions on internal drives automagically appear on your desktop. NTFS too with MacFuse/NTFS-3g (Leopard versions).

Disk utility recognizes your internal drives. You can now migrate external HD install using Disk Utility, restore.

EDIT -- Warning!

This patch does not appear to work for the 10.5.3 AppleAHCIPort.kext

See this post for a fix that works

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry775003

Copying your previously patched 10.5.2 kext back after applying update but before rebooting does work.

By default, ICH8R in AHCI mode will work under OSX, no mods required

in your case, the ICH8R is set to RAID instead of AHCI which might be the problem

just fyi, when in AHCI, ICH8R vendor id=8086 and dev id=2821<-works out of box

and in RAID, vendor id=8086, dev id=2822<-add dev id as in your post.

in old IDE/compatible mode: not sure about dev id, but supposed no working without modification.

I actually have a question about this that I don't quite understand. I also have a Dell E520 and when I install Windows I must set it to "RAID/ATA" in the BIOS or I cannot install it (as I don't have the drivers and/or a floppy drive). NOW HERE'S THE WEIRD PART - when I install Tiger (macdotnub 10.4.10 (with IHC8R)) I must put it on "Raid On" in order to boot from the CD (otherwise I get "Still waiting for root device")...I can install and everything works fine, I can even see my SATA-4 and SATA-5 drives (just NTFS formatted drives)...however I cannot boot into Windows (as "Raid On" is still selected in the BIOS). HERE'S WHERE IT GETS WEIRDER - if I put the Tiger disc back in the drive and want to make a change to the install I can no longer see my SATA-4 and SATA-5 drives and can boot into Windows just fine (of course "RAID/ATA" must be selected in the BIOS).

I was having this same issue in Leopard. If I install a clean version of Tiger I can see my drives fine, however, if I upgrade to Leopard I can no longer see my drives. I believe in order to boot from the Leopard disc I must also put it in "Raid On". Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's a bit complicated, but I'm sure all of the Dell E520s are built the exact same way.

Also, is there a certain file in Tiger that is allowing me to see the SATA-4 and SATA-5 drives when I initally install? If so, can I just copy it over to Leopard when it's installed?

Well, that is odd. My E520 only boots Windows with raid on, the way it was shipped from dell.

macdotnub 10.4.10 installs and runs nicely in the same raid mode.

The problem with Leopard is you can't boot the DVD. But I figured out how to install it. Here is how:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=510839

It runs nicely. Just can't get audio to work yet. (It worked in Tiger)

wmarsh,

I will try your install method and see how it comes out. Did you say you can see your SATA-4/5 devices in Leopard? Oh, BTW, to get sound working in Leopard I made sure I DIDN'T patch Tiger, then applied the patch in Leopard...it worked fine. For some reason if I applied the patch in Tiger and then tried again in Leopard, it wouldn't work. Let me know if this helps.

EDIT: Also, I was looking at your guide and it seems pretty complicated. Is there any way to apply the ICH8R patch after Leopard is installed? And you know, now that I think about it, maybe my Tiger does boot only with Raid on. I'll have to go home and look at it. Either way, Leopard won't boot in the same mode as macdotnub 10.4.10 and the SATA-4/5 devices disappear as soon as Leopard is installed over Tiger. Any suggestions for an already existing Leopard install and/or an upgrade from macdotnub without having external HDDs?

EDIT2 (somewhat off-topic): Were you ever able to get the onboard LAN adapter (intel 82562v I think) on you E520 working (in either Leopard OR Tiger)? I never could get it working so I picked up a Netgear wireless card, which seems to work fine. Please let me know.

Thanks again, you're helping the community a lot!!

The guide hotmonkey refers to, for Dell E520 installation, is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=510839

Did you say you can see your SATA-4/5 devices in Leopard?

Yes, I have moved Leopard to SATA-1 and it reads and writes to XP, FAT, and Tiger partitions on SATA-4

Oh, BTW, to get sound working in Leopard I made sure I DIDN'T patch Tiger, then applied the patch in Leopard...it worked fine. For some reason if I applied the patch in Tiger and then tried again in Leopard, it wouldn't work. Let me know if this helps.

I will try your trick -- by disabling SATA-4 then booting Leopard on SATA-1.

I was about to put in my old CMI8738 card and disable onboard audio.

But if you have ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext that work in Leopard, please PM them to me or post them in E520 install guide.

Is there any way to apply the ICH8R patch after Leopard is installed?

I thought that was what I did. I was working on IDE USB disk as install didn't see my SATA drives or boot off my SATA DVD.

Either way, Leopard won't boot in the same mode as macdotnub 10.4.10 and the SATA-4/5 devices disappear as soon as Leopard is installed over Tiger.

I have both macdotnub and Leopard booting off SATA in raid0 mode. And I installed over the macdotnub -- thats what I copied to TEST. You are right SATA disappear -- if TEST had been on SATA it might have done "waiting for root device" -- but I then patched it to make ICH8R work.

Any suggestions for an already existing Leopard install and/or an upgrade from macdotnub without having external HDDs?

I posted suggestions yesterday in the install guide.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=511289

Were you ever able to get the onboard LAN adapter (intel 82562v I think) on you E520 working (in either Leopard OR Tiger)?

No. But I have a Linksys100tx v4.1 for which a darwin tulip driver existed in the 10.4.1 days. I recompiled it for 10.4.3. It still works. The link to my driver is in the ethernet solutions section.

Thanks again, you're helping the community a lot!!

Thanks for the feedback. I was stuck in VMware for a year after I upgraded my Dell. When macdotnub came out, I finally got a working physical install. Its nice to be participating again.

Ok, well now I'm just completely confused. I guess SATA is working in some aspects as I can get Leopard installed, and it will see all of my partitions on SATA-0 and my DVD-ROM drive on SATA-1. However, it still cannot see SATA-4/5 (SATA-2 and 3 don't exist). It's just extremely weird that both macdotnub and Leopard boot without changing anything in the BIOS. Maybe it's my actual hard drives. Maybe they're not compatible. Is that possible?

Ok, well now I'm just completely confused. I guess SATA is working in some aspects as I can get Leopard installed, and it will see all of my partitions on SATA-0 and my DVD-ROM drive on SATA-1. However, it still cannot see SATA-4/5 (SATA-2 and 3 don't exist). It's just extremely weird that both macdotnub and Leopard boot without changing anything in the BIOS. Maybe it's my actual hard drives. Maybe they're not compatible. Is that possible?

Maybe, I have Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 on SATA 5.

All show in device tree in OS X

Maybe a jumper on HDD? I don't remember changing a jumper on the drive though when I put it in.

Do they all show up in Linux/Windows for you?

Yes, they all show up in Linux, Tiger, XP, and Vista... just not Leopard.

What sort of file systems on SATA 5/6? Could this be a MacFuse issue? -- you need to upgrade that for Leopard.

Do they show up in disk utility even if they don't mount?

Well, actually there's no device in SATA5. Here's my config:

SATA0 - 160GB HDD (80gb Windows (NTFS) & 80gb Mac OS (journaled))

SATA1 - DVD Burner

SATA2 - Doesn't exist

SATA3 - Doesn't exist

SATA4 - 500GB HDD Formatted as NTFS

SATA5 - Nothing at the moment

Like I said, when I install macdotnub on the Mac OS partition on SATA0, I can see SATA4 just fine, it's just when I upgrade to Leopard when it disappears. In fact, let's say I have macdotnub installed and I can see SATA4 just fine, if I put in the disc again to make a change (like install a driver), SATA4 disappears. Gone! Can't even see it in Disk Utility.

Here's my config:

SATA0 - 230GB HDD (210gb Vista (NTFS) & 20gb Leopard (journaled))

SATA1 - DVD Burner

SATA2 - Doesn't exist

SATA3 - Doesn't exist

SATA4 - 300GB HDD (240gb XP (NTFS), 20gb Tiger (journaled), 15gb FAT32, 21 gb ext3 (SUSE 10.3), 4gb Linux swap

SATA5 - Nothing at the moment

I do use NTFS-3g in Leopard/Tiger/Linux

All the disks show up in all OSs, all the time.

Maybe something weird happens when the whole disk is NTFS. You can repartition on the fly with Vista disk utility, Partition Magic, or parted from Linux without data loss. Maybe you should make a 20gb partition type AF and see if you can erase it with disk utility.

You could try putting your 500GB drive on SATA5

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Looking at this thread, you seem to have had same problem in Tiger?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=493350

How did you fix it in Tiger?

I actually never ended up "Fixing" it in Tiger, I just noticed that it was showing up after a fresh install. I soon realized that I can NEVER put in the install disc again or it would disappear.

Here's a question; is there a file in Tiger that is allowing me to see that drive? And is it getting overwritten when Leopard is installed?? If so, is it possible to copy that file before the Leopard install and then overwrite Leopard's version after the install is complete?

• 3 weeks later...
I actually never ended up "Fixing" it in Tiger, I just noticed that it was showing up after a fresh install. I soon realized that I can NEVER put in the install disc again or it would disappear.

Here's a question; is there a file in Tiger that is allowing me to see that drive? And is it getting overwritten when Leopard is installed?? If so, is it possible to copy that file before the Leopard install and then overwrite Leopard's version after the install is complete?

I´m having the same RAID0 boot issue. Installing Tiger = no problem. Only way to get Leo to work is to change BIOS. So I´m pretty sure there must be an easier way to get Leo recognize my sata drives...

The file "AppleAHCIPort.kext" is not present in Tiger (or at least not in my installation)...is this file only for Leo?

Have you been able to install Leo?

I´m having the same RAID0 boot issue. Installing Tiger = no problem. Only way to get Leo to work is to change BIOS. So I´m pretty sure there must be an easier way to get Leo recognize my sata drives...

The file "AppleAHCIPort.kext" is not present in Tiger (or at least not in my installation)...is this file only for Leo?

Have you been able to install Leo?

yes it is in Tiger in IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

And Yes I did install Leopard before making this guide. Hotmonkeay did eventually too.

• 3 months later...

I know this is slightly resurrecting a thread from the dead, but I followed this guide to get my new Leopard install booting when my BIOD was in RAID mode. I am using a DFI Inifinty P965-S, and the posted solution actaully works in getting it to boot.

However, when I set up a new RAID0 volume in the Intel RAID Bios, the results dont translate over to my OSX install.

I RAID0'ed 2 identical HDD's (300GB Seagates) to make one fast 600GB HDD. What I get as a result in OSX is still my 2 300GB HDD's with the data on one completely gone, yet the data on another still intact.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

sdelano

I know this is slightly resurrecting a thread from the dead, but I followed this guide to get my new Leopard install booting when my BIOD was in RAID mode. I am using a DFI Inifinty P965-S, and the posted solution actaully works in getting it to boot.

However, when I set up a new RAID0 volume in the Intel RAID Bios, the results dont translate over to my OSX install.

I RAID0'ed 2 identical HDD's (300GB Seagates) to make one fast 600GB HDD. What I get as a result in OSX is still my 2 300GB HDD's with the data on one completely gone, yet the data on another still intact.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

sdelano

I don't think this allows software raid, merely disk access.

I have 2HDD, both work in Win, OS X and Linux, but I have them set up as separate disks.

The advantage is you don't have to reinstall Windows.

• 1 month later...
I don't think this allows software raid, merely disk access.

I have 2HDD, both work in Win, OS X and Linux, but I have them set up as separate disks.

The advantage is you don't have to reinstall Windows.

so then you are not running raid then, right? just separate disks?

Warning!

This patch does not appear to work for the 10.5.3 AppleAHCIPort.kext

Copying your previously patched 10.5.2 kext back after applying update but before rebooting does work.

If I figure out a fix, I will post it.

[EDIT -- posted in link on top post]

• 1 month later...
Hello, I'm fresh beginner in forum.

I've just got my new Toshiba Satellite A300-15D

I want to set up Raid 0 and install Kalyway Leopard and Windows Xp via bootcamp on it.

And I was unable to find topic about installing leo on raid0

I never set up raid before.

I bearly know OSX, I'm just tired of Windows.

I don't know which leo is best for it(kalyway,leo4all, iATKOS).

Could someone give me an advise, make a simple tutorial or give me at least some links?

I would be absolutely greatfull.

Sorry if my post is in wrong place,correct me please.

You should ask your questions in the installation forum.

But I don't believe bootcamp works except on real macs.

I have not needed any of this distros -- Others have said support is lacking for ICH8R (which I have) and other raid 0.

But if you want to know how I got Leopard on my Dell, I did make a thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry510839

Of course, if you want to get me a laptop like yours, then I could figure out how to install Leopard on it, and write you a tutorial!http://forum.insanelymac.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

sdelano

I have exactly the same problem. Created RAID0 on intel ICH8R but my Leopard sees the two drives as separate. It's a major issue for me. Can we fix it? <_<