Dell E520 Leopard Install Guide -- ICH8R Working!

wmarsh

189 posts in this topic

No. Dunno if you read or not, but as wmarsh said a few posts back, there's not currently a known fix for the resultant 'Still waiting for boot device' caused by updating to 10.5.6.

Ummm, thanks for the sarcasm but if you notice I've been an active participant of this thread since page 1. I hadn't heard back from wmarsh so I thought I'd double check.

Ummm, thanks for the sarcasm but if you notice I've been an active participant of this thread since page 1. I hadn't heard back from wmarsh so I thought I'd double check.

No sarcasm intended, though reading it back, it does sound like it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yeah, I realised after I posted that it was you who was asking him about it a few posts back but couldn't be bothered to edit my posts.

As far as I know he hasn't got a fix yet; he said he's not had the time and is a bit busy with work.

I'm considering backing up this current working setup I have now and then applying it to a new partition, giving me two fully working 10.5.5 installs, so I can {censored} about with upgrading to 10.5.6, but I'm not sure what I could do to find out how to update other than try the methods used by wmarsh for the other updates.

• 2 weeks later...

tl;dr: Networking kext doesn't want to work for me (because of 10.5.5?)

long version: I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the ({censored} — definitely not recommended to Windows or Mac users alike) My Book World Edition from Western Digital which my mum bought a fair few months ago.

It's 1TB and we've used about 100GB so far, so I thought it would be a good idea to backup to that as well.

It took a while to set up and still doesn't work 100% of the time as it should, but more often that not, I can access it from my hackintosh through the wireless network workgroup at smb:\\mybookworld\public.

Only problem is that the wireless connection never holds (same on Windows) so I'm pretty sure any attempt to backup over the network would result in a lot of headaches.

So I decided to try connect it directly to my PC.

I used the kext which I posted above on my backup version of Kalyway, and — of course — it didn't want to work this time. It boots fine, goes past the iTunesPhoneDriver message, but it won't recognise the NIC.

Only thing I can think is different from the previous attempts is I'm on 10.5.5 now, as opposed to 10.5.2.

EDIT: Opened up the kext, changed the following values in the info.plist:

com.apple.kpi.bsd - 9.5.0
com.apple.kpi.iokit - 9.5.0
com.apple.kpi.libkern - 9.5.0
com.apple.kpi.mach - 9.5.0

Before, they were all 9.2.2 iirc.

Still not working though. Anyone who knows a bit more about kexts than me care to help?

*Tumbleweed blows by*

Assuming people are still checking by for updates every now and then.

Just adding a few devices from my E520 — 7300LE, 9227 Sigmatel — would add the mobo if I actually knew what it was. :D

I encourage you all to add and edit them according to your findings.

No progress on the 10.5.5 + NIC yet. I'll ask in the 82566 thread.

Ah right, cool.

By the way, what's all the fuss about updating to the latest version? I really don't get it.

I haven't noticed any difference from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 (except my networking kext won't work and iDisk is now MobileMe (which I can't use anyway)).

I understand the want to fix bugs, but that's all I can see (and no bugs affected me in 10.5.2).

Unless it's for software, like iLife, which you can trick into thinking you're running 10.5.6. anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried to apply the latest security update (2009-001) to a 10.5.5 Hackintosh (on Dell E520)?

2009-001 needs 10.5.6

I ran 2008-007 fine, however.

I'm attempting to update to 10.5.6 again on one of my backups.

Wish me luck.

EDIT:

20090222-c65ghsbufhng3mptagd4fjemgh.jpg

Uhh. That was almost too easy.

- Used PCWiz's Disabler.kext and DSDT patch (though I think the DSDT may be unnecessary, I did it just to be safe)

- Use previous method of install (Delta)

- Copy kexts from 10.5.5 install to 10.5.6. Repair permissions.

- Reboot.

By the way, full video (7300 LE), full audio (SigmaTel 9227), full ethernet (82562v), full HD access (two SATA HDs (five partitions), one SATA DVD drive).

Only issue I had was a slightly slower startup (expected) and both displays' colour profiles had reset to default but was easily remedied by opening the Sys Pref > Displays > Colour panel and it reapplied my calibrated settings itself.

Also, I tried booting without reverting all the kexts but I got a Still waiting for root device error. Reverted the kexts, repaired permissions and it works fine.

[summary of edits:]

Kernel panics when:

- opening graphics/display tab of System Profiler. IOGraphicsFamily

- opening Problem Report (forced quit/crashed app reporter)

- opening VMware machine. May not be the update's fault though.

I'll look into these later.

EDIT2: Bugger. Kernel Panic.

http://pastebin.com/m73dd8270

... when trying to open Graphics/Display tab in System Profiler. All other tabs work fine.

EDIT3: No progress. Should point out that this isn't a huge issue at all, just means I can't open Graphics/Displays.

I'll probably try replacing kexts with the 10.5.6 ones a bunch at a time and see if that helps at all.

I'll post up any other problems I come across.

EDIT4: Bugger number two. Kernel panic.

Trying to resume a suspended VM (VMWare Fusion 2.0.1). I think I might know why this happened (and may not be 10.5.6's fault) but maybe not. I'll try loading up a new VM when I have the time.

Hey,

I am running a dell e520 with all the default stuff except a ethernet card that is mac plug-and-play compatible and a extra gig of RAM. I install leopard with iATKOS v4i with the SATA driver and the nVidia Titan driver and everything worked fine except sound which i fixed with a sound patch. This means i am running 10.5.4 - I want to upgrade to 10.5.5 and i have followed the guide exactly on how you upgraded to 10.5.5 however when the system reboots it just reboots after the bootloader. I can't even boot into single user mode - i have tryed -x -f -s ect. and i cannot see anything in verbose mode either as it just has it loading extensions really fast then my computer restarts. Please does anyone no what is going wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Ben.

P.S. Thanks for all of your work it is very useful and keep it up :)

New post to bump this.

Attempting to install 2009-001 security update.

I'll edit in my results.

No progress on the kernel panic issues, by the way, but I haven't really tried anything yet, tbh: they're only minor inconveniences.

EDIT: Oh, Bob posted at the same time as me.

Try removing video kexts and removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext if it's there.

Not too sure why it's happening if you've followed the guide.

Are you sure you downloaded the 10.5.5 COMBO update and not the Delta?

If you don't mind reinstalling then it'll probably end up being easiest to do that (make sure you select only one SSE2 or SSE3 thing in the Customize part of the install)

Ah, take a read of this.

Ok, rebooting for 2009-001 update. Wish me luck.

EDIT2: Everything seems to be fine. Still getting KP when opening Graphics/Displays, however I now found I'm not alone in it.

New post to bump this.

Attempting to install 2009-001 security update.

I'll edit in my results.

No progress on the kernel panic issues, by the way, but I haven't really tried anything yet, tbh: they're only minor inconveniences.

EDIT: Oh, Bob posted at the same time as me.

Try removing video kexts and removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext if it's there.

Not too sure why it's happening if you've followed the guide.

Are you sure you downloaded the 10.5.5 COMBO update and not the Delta?

If you don't mind reinstalling then it'll probably end up being easiest to do that (make sure you select only one SSE2 or SSE3 thing in the Customize part of the install)

Ah, take a read of this.

Ok, rebooting for 2009-001 update. Wish me luck.

EDIT2: Everything seems to be fine. Still getting KP when opening Graphics/Displays, however I now found I'm not alone in it.

Hi, Thanks for the fast reply - i didn't expect it so fast so didnt think to look!

Thanks for the help - I shall try it out as soon as it's re-installed :)

Ben.

Oh you're already reinstalling?

Well then that stuff won't help you at all (unless you find yourself facing the same problem again), but it's still worth checking that page out.

Are you sure you ran the terminal command (rm -rf ... while sleep=1 ... ; done) thing?

EDIT: Your name may be Ben but you are forever Bob to me now. Too late.

EDIT2: 25th Feb, 06:15: Kernel Panic when opening a crash report. IOGraphicsFamily mentioned again.

Oh you're already reinstalling?

Well then that stuff won't help you at all (unless you find yourself facing the same problem again), but it's still worth checking that page out.

Are you sure you ran the terminal command (rm -rf ... while sleep=1 ... ; done) thing?

EDIT: Your name may be Ben but you are forever Bob to me now. Too late.

EDIT2: 25th Feb, 06:15: Kernel Panic when opening a crash report. IOGraphicsFamily mentioned again.

Hey again,

Apologese for late reply I really am not expecting such fast responses!

"Are you sure you ran the terminal command (rm -rf ... while sleep=1 ... ; done) thing?"

yh i definately did that - i even copy + pasted it into the terminal to make surei made no mistake.

Im reintalling for another go - i did read that website you gave me - some of the solutions I had already tryed and others i misunderstood and thought i was suposed to do something before trying to upgrade, hence re-installing.

I have now had another go and it is still going wrong :wub:

Actually i'm going to give up for now as there are not many advantages to upgrading for me.

Thanks for the fast replies and excellent help anyway! Keep up the great work!

Ben.

P.S. My full name is Benjamin Oliver Bebb Davis - Hence BOBD... as my username :D

Im reintalling for another go - i did read that website you gave me - some of the solutions I had already tryed and others i misunderstood and thought i was suposed to do something before trying to upgrade, hence re-installing.

I have now had another go and it is still going wrong :wub:

Actually i'm going to give up for now as there are not many advantages to upgrading for me

Oh. Not sure what went wrong, but (no offence to you) but it was probably something you did wrong or didn't do, as this method should work for stock E520s.

Ah well, yeah, there isn't really many advantages to upgrading, if 10.5.4 works for you and you don't need 10.5.5/6 then you may as well stay on .4.

Shame to hear you couldn't get the best but it's good to know you've got a working install at least. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions. : ]

dr. vox, do you have 10.5.6 working? I still can't the ICH8R SATA driver to work with 2nd HDD.

So I'm, agreeing with Bob/Ben and not upgrading from 10.5.5 at this point.

Yeah. 10.5.6. Even got Safari 4 beta installed (which rocks btw).

I did nothing to the SATA driver but have all three SATA devices working

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*149.0 Gi   disk0
  1:													54.9 Mi	disk0s1
  2:			   Windows_NTFS WindowsHD			   87.5 Gi	disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Secondary HD			19.5 Gi	disk0s3
  4:				  Apple_HFS Leopard HD			  41.9 Gi	disk0s4
/dev/disk1
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*149.1 Gi   disk1
  1:				  Apple_HFS Tertiary HD			 100.1 Gi   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Media HD				48.9 Gi	disk1s2

Disk0 is a ST3160812AS

Disk1 is a WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0

3rd SATA Device: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A

Edit: My DCPIManager:

20090226-na3wegfumqaysfn7g6yd47amee.png

Small bump and update on my situation.

10.5.6 is still going fine but was experiencing hanging/freezing and beachballing when I left the computer overnight. I previously thought this was due to CPUs=2 but I've now actually sourced it to Transmission. Firstly, a lot of

Feb 28 02:10:36 localhost kernel[0]: vmnet: bridge-en0: SendToVNet mbuf dup/copy failed: 12.
Feb 28 02:10:43 localhost kernel[0]: vmnet: Failed to deep copy mbuf: 12.

and then an insane number of

Feb 28 02:11:46 localhost kernel[0]: TxContext[8], InUse=1, bWaitingBulkOut=0, IRPPending=1

Information on this here.

I've now disabled speed limits and will see how things go from there.

Now I've found the cause of that, I can now continue trying to run cpus=2 and diagnosing any resultant crashes/problems.

The panic regarding the XP VM in VMWare Fusion is now fine: that was not 10.5.6's fault, more mine, as it was related to the number of CPUs VMWare detected as opposed to the number the VM was last run on (i.e. last run on 1 core, then finds itself given 2 cores and thus crashes).

Not yet tried opening Graphics/Displays tab or Crash Reporter recently.

Back to E520s in general, has anyone else attempted to update to 10.5.6?

Hey,

Im still running 10.5.4 but i did the method where you change one of the system plist files to read 10.5.6 which means my mac thinks it is updated so i could install iWork '09.

The software update is now treating my mac as if it's already upgraded and is also offering me the security update 2009-001. I would really like to use the new safari 4 beta - would it screw up my system installing the security update? What does the security update do/fix/contain.

Thanks a lot.

Ben.

(stock dell e520 with mac compatible ethernet pci card and 3 Gb RAM)

I wouldn't install the security update if I were you. Try downloading the pkg from the Apple site and open it using Pacifist and take a look at the files inside (and ask me if you're not sure).

I wouldn't install the security update if I were you. Try downloading the pkg from the Apple site and open it using Pacifist and take a look at the files inside (and ask me if you're not sure).

Hey,

Thanks again for your support.

Im going to make a copy of my system actually to try the update out on before i attempt it on my primary hd.

I tryed opening it with pacifist but didnt understand much of it. One thing i did look for was what extensions kexts it had and it has one called smbfs.kext - any idea what that does.

I'll post my results just incase anyone else feels like doing the same thing.

Ben.

Yeah, do a backup if you can, saves a lot of heartache down the road. I always backup to a secondary partition, install on the main partition and then restore the backup to the main part if it went wrong.

SMBFS is to do with SMB mounting, afaik, but I doubt it'll actually change anything to make SMB stop working.

I'm pretty sure — now I've thought it over — that running the security update won't harm your system.

Yeah, do a backup if you can, saves a lot of heartache down the road. I always backup to a secondary partition, install on the main partition and then restore the backup to the main part if it went wrong.

SMBFS is to do with SMB mounting, afaik, but I doubt it'll actually change anything to make SMB stop working.

I'm pretty sure — now I've thought it over — that running the security update won't harm your system.

Thanks for help again dr. vox

things going right for me - for a while

What i did was go to here: /system/library/coreservice/SystemVersion.plist

and change all the 10.5.4's to 10.5.6's

then i installed the security update from apples website - all good - nothing went wrong.

but it was not as good as i thought - no problems as far as i can see but safari 4.0 won't start.

Just says failed would you like to relaunch :P

I guess safari 4 need something that comes with 10.5.5 or 10.5.6.

if anyone else has achieved this i'd love to be able to do this.

Thanks a lot.

Ben

For the last 2 or 3 days I've been trying to get Snow Leopard to work.

After downloading I found I had to install to a GUID disk. Previously, both HDDs were MBR.

After converting to GUID, Snow Leo installed successfully. Booting the first time didn't work due to a kernel issue. Fixed that in 5 mins and found myself faced with an error regarding com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform; not being able to 'alloc class' for AppleACPIPlatformExpert; 20ACPIPlatformDevice not being compatible with the superclass; com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily; and 'unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI"'.

I scratched my head over it for two days and — after replacing the ACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily kexts with various others, including my own from 10.5.6 — had no success. I googled around and found maybe one or two related results in dozens of different searches.

Unrelated, I found a utility which requires being booted from a CD. Instead of wasting a CD I decided to use a spare partition on my second HD. Totally unexpected to me, I received the same KP error.

This made me think maybe it was the disk which I just couldn't boot from. Then I remembered Wmarsh and his issues with booting from the second hard drive.

Is this the same problem you had, wmarsh?

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity, is your 2nd HD GPT or MBR?

Just CCC'ing my known-working 10.5.6 install to the second HD, I'll see if that boots. I doubt it will.

No progress on the KPs from Graphics/Display tab, but again, not tried anything.

Also, upgrading my E520 to its max of 4GB 800Mhz CL4 RAM as opposed to its current 2GB 533MHz CL4.

EDIT2: Solved the graphics/display & crash reporter problems, finally, after socalswimmer gave me the motivation to try using 10.5.6 kexts. After a few reboots and switching of kexts, it works perfectly. It was eventually the 10.5.6 IOGraphicsFamily and IOPCIFamily kexts which solved it, but I think there must be at least one other kext involved because I swear I tried using the 10.5.6 kexts to no avail as soon as I discovered the problem.

Whatever. I now have fully functional 10.5.6. Bar the second HD thing, I guess.