Dell E520 Leopard Install Guide -- ICH8R Working!

wmarsh

189 posts in this topic

Hey

Just wondering, what are you and wmarsh using for partitioning? I really don't want to pay $50 for iPartiton, and disk utility, gparted livecd & the diskutil resizeVolume command either format the whole drive first or don't support HFS+. Do you know of an app or a way that wil let me repartition without erasing the HDD?

Thanks Guys

Vista disk management will repartition your drive nicely.

I also use Partition Magic.

Parted works, so does Parted Magic, but I have not used them.

I don't worry about HFS+ support. Just repartition the disk.

Once partition is made, I use PTEDIT32.EXE (an undocumented utility bundled with Partition Magic) to manually change the partition I made to type AF. There are other tools other people use to do this as well.

Last, I use disk utility to "erase" this partion -- what it really does is format it as HFS+

Then you can install to your partition.

ok wmarsh & hotmonkeayc:

I have partitoned up and restored as described. I edited the plists and kexts you said to. I am using the same method as hotmonkeyac (internal, 3 partitions and patching for ICH8R before install). When I boot into the Leo install, I am able to see all three partitons in Disk Utility, but only the INSTALL partiton shows up in the "choose destination volume" screen, options is greyed out. Where is test!!?! I tried to reformat TEST in disk utility via Leo installer, I tried with RAID Auto and RAID On settings in BIOS, no dice. Now I have my Tiger system (Journaled HFS+) on partiton 1, TEST (Journaled HFS+) which I re-restored after the Leo format and the INSTALL partition (HFS+). Basically I'm at the point in the guide where I attempt the install. What do you guys think I need to do to get the TEST volume to show up in destinations??

Thanks alot and great work.

ok wmarsh & hotmonkeayc:

I have partitoned up and restored as described. I edited the plists and kexts you said to. I am using the same method as hotmonkeyac (internal, 3 partitions and patching for ICH8R before install). When I boot into the Leo install, I am able to see all three partitons in Disk Utility, but only the INSTALL partiton shows up in the "choose destination volume" screen, options is greyed out. Where is test!!?! I tried to reformat TEST in disk utility via Leo installer, I tried with RAID Auto and RAID On settings in BIOS, no dice. Now I have my Tiger system (Journaled HFS+) on partiton 1, TEST (Journaled HFS+) which I re-restored after the Leo format and the INSTALL partition (HFS+). Basically I'm at the point in the guide where I attempt the install. What do you guys think I need to do to get the TEST volume to show up in destinations??

Thanks alot and great work.

Is TEST set as type AF in partition table?

Then you should restore your Tiger to that partition with disk utility.

I have a Dell XPS 410 which uses a similar motherboard - namely the ICH8R controller. Using the BrazilMac method with the patch files using my own retail Leopard DVD I was able to boot from a patched DVD and install Leopard on this machine.

When I first tried it I had to hook up an IDE DVD drive to a USB converter in order to boot the DVD. But when I got to the point where I could install it didn't see the hard drive at all.

I then modified the info.plist file under AppleAHCIPort.kext in the original BrazilMac patch files. I applied the instuctions in your post #2 instructions 14d to add the key ICH8RAHCI. Then I reapplied the patch to my ripped retail Leopard DVD and burned a new DVD. Now I was able to boot from my on-board DVD drive (a SATA DVD drive) and see the hard drive (I couldn't before) and install. I ran the post install patch which also used the modified ICH8RAHCI information.

Unfortunately I'm still not able to boot the installed Leopard, not even using the boot DVD as a boot loader. I've run through the process of using fdisk and the startuptool and bless commands documented elsewhere. The most telling error I get is the "Still waiting for root device". That's the same error I got before I modified the plist file.

What's interesting is that I can't really control the boot process. If I boot from the DVD and press F8 too early it skips my choices and it begins booting from the hard drive with the white screen and the Apple logo. After a few moments I get the graphical kernel panic screen telling me to power off or reset my computer. I can't get it to give me the option to put in the -v argument.

The boot options only shows the DVD "partition" of "hd(2,1) osxdvd". I've tried all combinations of "rd=disk1s1", etc. with the -v -x switches. They all seem to still boot from the DVD. It's only when I press F8 too early that it goes to the hard drive.

You're probably wondering how I got to the "Still waiting for root device". I'm pretty sure that's when I was using a boot partition to install / boot from.

It feels like I'm so close. Is there some kext to delete or change. It seems like it's something simple (I hope). Any ideas?

Good job, you are almost there.

But you need to apply the same patch to your installed system. It installs unpatched files.

I wish I could tell you how to modify your DVD you made to include the patches in installs, but I don't. But others do and I suspect someone is busy making a hacked version to distribute.

The modified AppleAHCIPort.kext is on the hard drive of the install. An unmodified one was installed, but there is a post-install patch routine that updates some files. I made sure that the AppleAHCIPort.kext is still supporting the ICH8R. Are there other files that need to be modified? If so, what are they? Would the modified kernel affect this? Maybe using PC EFI with the stock kernel would help.

Maybe this will help Kalyway has a DVD: Kalyway_OSX86_Leopard_9a527, if you boot from it (with your RAID ON) then continue through the installation, unmark the MAIN INSTALL and only add the SATA,PATA under DRIVERS, you will be able to boot, and not get ANY "waiting for ............." {censored}

feel free to PM me as i have a Dell Dimension 9200(xps410) and with the help of a very clever forum buddy has gotten EVERYTHING to work barr the NIC as there are currently no drivers for it!!!

Blackie

I have a Dell XPS 410 which uses a similar motherboard - namely the ICH8R controller. Using the BrazilMac method with the patch files using my own retail Leopard DVD I was able to boot from a patched DVD and install Leopard on this machine.

When I first tried it I had to hook up an IDE DVD drive to a USB converter in order to boot the DVD. But when I got to the point where I could install it didn't see the hard drive at all.

I then modified the info.plist file under AppleAHCIPort.kext in the original BrazilMac patch files. I applied the instuctions in your post #2 instructions 14d to add the key ICH8RAHCI. Then I reapplied the patch to my ripped retail Leopard DVD and burned a new DVD. Now I was able to boot from my on-board DVD drive (a SATA DVD drive) and see the hard drive (I couldn't before) and install. I ran the post install patch which also used the modified ICH8RAHCI information.

Unfortunately I'm still not able to boot the installed Leopard, not even using the boot DVD as a boot loader. I've run through the process of using fdisk and the startuptool and bless commands documented elsewhere. The most telling error I get is the "Still waiting for root device". That's the same error I got before I modified the plist file.

What's interesting is that I can't really control the boot process. If I boot from the DVD and press F8 too early it skips my choices and it begins booting from the hard drive with the white screen and the Apple logo. After a few moments I get the graphical kernel panic screen telling me to power off or reset my computer. I can't get it to give me the option to put in the -v argument.

The boot options only shows the DVD "partition" of "hd(2,1) osxdvd". I've tried all combinations of "rd=disk1s1", etc. with the -v -x switches. They all seem to still boot from the DVD. It's only when I press F8 too early that it goes to the hard drive.

You're probably wondering how I got to the "Still waiting for root device". I'm pretty sure that's when I was using a boot partition to install / boot from.

It feels like I'm so close. Is there some kext to delete or change. It seems like it's something simple (I hope). Any ideas?

The modified AppleAHCIPort.kext is on the hard drive of the install. An unmodified one was installed, but there is a post-install patch routine that updates some files. I made sure that the AppleAHCIPort.kext is still supporting the ICH8R. Are there other files that need to be modified? If so, what are they? Would the modified kernel affect this? Maybe using PC EFI with the stock kernel would help.

I believe all you need to modify is info.plist within AppleAHCIPort.kext

I believe all you need to modify is info.plist within AppleAHCIPort.kext
Yes, that is what I did. I wonder if it's some kind of permissions or ownership problem. There's some extra stuff in the AppleAHCIPort.kext and it has an extra "@" symbol that the standard ones don't. Is there some kind of chown command I should use?

Here's the listing from my /System/Library/Extensions folder (I've edited out some of the files from the listing to make it shorter):

-bash-3.2# ls -la AppleA*	   
AppleAC97Audio.kext:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Nov 24 14:47 .
drwxr-xr-x  279 root  wheel  9486 Nov 24 14:47 ..
drwxr-xr-x@   6 root  wheel   204 Nov 24 14:47 Contents

AppleACPIPlatform.kext:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Nov 24 14:47 .
drwxr-xr-x@   7 root  wheel   238 Nov 24 14:47 Contents

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.post:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x	3 root  wheel   102 Oct  9 21:45 .
drwxr-xr-x   10 root  wheel   340 Oct  9 21:45 Contents

AppleADT746x.kext:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x	3 root  wheel   102 Oct  9 21:48 .
drwxr-xr-x	9 root  wheel   306 Oct  9 21:48 Contents

AppleAHCIPort.kext:
total 16
drwxr-xr-x@   4 root  wheel   136 Nov 24 14:47 .
-rwxr-xr-x@   1 root  wheel  6148 Nov 24 14:47 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x@   6 root  wheel   204 Nov 24 14:47 Contents

AppleAHCIPort.kext.post:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x	3 root  wheel   102 Oct  9 21:47 .
drwxr-xr-x	9 root  wheel   306 Oct  9 21:47 Contents

Yes, that is what I did. I wonder if it's some kind of permissions or ownership problem. There's some extra stuff in the AppleAHCIPort.kext and it has an extra "@" symbol that the standard ones don't. Is there some kind of chown command I should use?

The @ is a new permissions problem in Leopard I remember reading about in other threads.

Didn't happen to me though -- but I edited it from Tiger.

std commands for fixing permissions:

sudo bash

(enter password when requested)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

I would search around because I remember reading a fix for this @ problem, just don't remember where. And post your results so others can benefit.

So you're saying that the chown and chmod commands you listed are not enough to fix that particular problem?

edit: I tried those commands and the @ sign is still there. Also, tried searching the Leopard forum for information about the @ sign in permissions. Ever tried using a search engine to search for an @ sign? It ain't pretty :(

New information: when trying to boot I get the flashing underline cursor and it just hangs there. Before I couldn't really get a good handle on the boot issues. Now I've hooked up my Vista drive and installed and configured EasyBCD.

Also, still waiting for the Kaylway DVD to download. Have downloaded a Kalyway boot CD and may try that too.

So you're saying that the chown and chmod commands you listed are not enough to fix that particular problem?

edit: I tried those commands and the @ sign is still there. Also, tried searching the Leopard forum for information about the @ sign in permissions. Ever tried using a search engine to search for an @ sign? It ain't pretty B)

New information: when trying to boot I get the flashing underline cursor and it just hangs there. Before I couldn't really get a good handle on the boot issues. Now I've hooked up my Vista drive and installed and configured EasyBCD.

Also, still waiting for the Kaylway DVD to download. Have downloaded a Kalyway boot CD and may try that too.

If you have flashing cursor, then bootloader isn't working.

Try setting up grub with pc_efi

About permissions, this thread was interesting

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72213

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's more to it than just AppleAHCIPort.kext. User "thestevo" has a patch that is supposed to work but it's only available in PPF format, and for the life of me I can't apply that patch.

I've done a flat image install that will almost boot all the way but gets stuck at a related point. I've modified my AppleAHCIPort.kext similar to what vmarsh has done but it doesn't work either.

According to thestevo these are the files that are needed:

IOPCIFamily.kext

AppleACPIplatform.kext

IOACPIFamily.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

Now, if someone had working versions of these we'd be golden!

I have a dimension e520 with all sata and I have an easier way for this to work. First here are my specs.

Dell Dimension e520

intel 1.8GHz dual core

intel 945 ichdh chip set

ati x1300 PCI-e video card

First leave your raid on in the bios.

Make sure your HDD is on sata 0 and dvd is on sata 1

Once again, this is for the KALYWAY 10.5 leopard beta install.

put the dvd in the drive that is on sata 1 and when the computer starts up hit f12 to select boot device.

select boot from sata cd/dvd drive

follow the instructions for you pc for installation.

after you install and the system starts to reset turn off the computer...wait 20 seconds... now turn on the computer and enter the bios.

turn the raid to autodetect and boot up. your done.

Now if you have the x1300 card by ati, For some odd reason you have to hook it up vga to dvi on the back of the card. when the os first boots you'll see the apple with the little disc, the screen goes black...don't panic.. simply hit the power button once and then hit it again, you may also have to unplug the usb mouse and keyboard and plug it back in for those to work. I will get to work on a kexkt for the x1300 and mouse, but it may take some time.( I am busy at work.)

If you have any questions please email me.

Thanks,

A Computer Guy

• 2 weeks later...
Hey wmarsh, did you try the x3000 integrated video onboard? There should be drivers in Leo that could be tweaked to make it work as x3000 is the desktop version of the mobile x3100.

Anyone succeded in activating that card?

Thanks

No, I like my Nvidia card.

It has accelerated support in Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris too, so I never considered not using it.

As far as I know, my patch works properly. I only have one E520 to test it on, but it works properly every time. I don't know.

As for the GMA X3000, it should be the mobile version of the GMA X3100 but truly it is in name only. If you look on the wikipedia article for the GMA cards you'll see a few differences. Granted, they are minor and if Apple wanted to create drivers they could work something out in a day. I'm not sure however if/when we will be able to overcome the differences without source code modifications. I hope for it too some day.

Stevo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is how I updated to 10.5.2

1) Download MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.2.dmg, LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.dmg, SecUpd2008-001Univ.dmg from Apple and pc_efi_v80 (Google "pc_efi_v8.0 download"). Backup working AppleHDA.kext.

2) Open Terminal

3) Run the following commands:

sudo bash

Type your password. Hit enter. Then type this and hit enter:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

^ ^ YOU MUST DO THIS STEP ABOVE!!!

You CANNOT just delete it afterward. It WILL BREAK the install, and require a new install or restore from backup.

4) Mount MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.2.dmg and run the installer.

---------------------------------

5) When the installer finishes, DO NOT REBOOT!

6) In the Terminal window, hold the CONTROL key and press C.

7) Type in the following commands:

sudo bash

vi /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

8) Find the line with /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext

9) Replace it with: /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

10) use w! to save read only file. Then close Terminal window.

11) delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext

12) backup (if desired) the "vanilla" AppleHDA.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext

13) copy previously working AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

14) copy AppleSMBIOS.kext from pc_efi_v8 to /System/Library/Extensions

15) repair permissions for AppleSMBIOS.kext, ALCInject.kext, and AppleHDA.kext

16) reboot twice.

17) Mount LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.dmg and run the installer.

18) reboot twice.

19) Mount SecUpd2008-001Univ.dmg and run installer.

20) Reboot final time

10.5.2 works. Including Quartz Extreme, Network, Sound.

I was surprised not to have to edit AppleAHCIPort.kext to enable ICH8R again with the update.

XBench Score 142.04. Pretty good for 1 1/2 yr old relatively cheap box.

• 3 months later...

This is how I updated to 10.5.3

1) Download MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.3.dmg from Apple. Backup working AppleHDA.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext

2) Open Terminal

3) Run the following commands:

sudo bash

Type your password. Hit enter. Then type this and hit enter:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

^ ^ YOU MUST DO THIS STEP ABOVE!!!

You CANNOT just delete it afterward. It WILL BREAK the install, and require a new install or restore from backup.

4) Mount MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.3.dmg and run the installer.

---------------------------------

5) When the installer finishes, DO NOT REBOOT!

6) In the Terminal window, hold the CONTROL key and press C.

7) Type in the following commands:

sudo bash

vi /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

8) Find the line with /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext

9) Replace it with: /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

10) use w! to save read only file. Then close Terminal window.

11) backup (if desired) the "vanilla" AppleHDA.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext

12) copy previously working AppleHDA.kext, and AppleSMBIOS.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

Also download archive.zip from this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry775003

Copy the 4 included modified kexts to /System/Library/Extensions.

13) delete NVinject.kext (doesn't work with 10.5.3)

14) repair permissions for kext copied in step 12

(for the noobs) use Terminal. sudo bash

enter your password

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel ./*.kext

chmod -R 755 ./*.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

15) Now let the Update Installer reboot. It reboots twice.

16) download Natit Installer at http://blog.theblurn.com/NATIT_gfnvidia.zip and run it

17) reboot one last time.

10.5.3 works. Including Quartz Extreme, Network, Sound.