Just bloody nice...

9 posts in this topic

While this thread does not specifically address to the OS X 86 project, it does involve an old iMac.

Yes, I'm still using a 7 year old computer to perform my daily tasks. The iMac revision B is my companion. With a sturdy 233MHz processor, it runs quite fast. I've upgraded the RAM u pto 160MB and added a 7200rpm hard disk drive.

Today, I wanted to upgrade from Panther to Tiger. I simply get a cold error that the hardware is unsupported.

Goodbye my old new oMac.

You could put panther on there with xpostfacto. Tiger even. But yeah that post doesn't really belong here, you ought to check out www.xlr8yourmac.com.

If you've read my post I said that Panther already was there. And it runs fine.

The problem with Tiger is that it forces me not to install. It simply displays a dialog that my mac is unsupported and stops there.

Have you done the firmware upgrade to 4.1.9?

If you put a new harddrive in, then you might have to do things the hard way:

install OS 9.1 or 9.2 and do the software updates,

Install OS 10.3 and do software updates,

Install OS 10.4 and do software updates.

This is what I have had to do with a couple of original imacs, 233 up to 400. Something is a little wonky with some of those motherboards, but going through those steps has worked for me.

One benefit is that 10.4 seems to run pretty fast on these machines. Faster than 10.3 that is.

With only 6mb vram, don't get your hopes too high.

You might want to look around eBay for a motherboard transplant, also take a look at www.lowendmac.com, in the specs and there are links for upgrading and overclocking that trusty iMac.

I had an Indigo iMac Summer 2000 (350MHz, 320MB RAM), and OS X ran like {censored} on it. Utter {censored}. Dunno why, because I have an Indigo iBook (366MHz, 320MB RAM) that runs only a slight bit slower than my iBook G4 did. I think it's the video card -- my understanding is that this machine has an 8MB card, while the iMac had a 6. Not too sure about that. Interesting at any rate that this machine has 33MHz fewer on the bus, but still outperforms the bloody hell out of that iMac...

No your iMac had an 8MB card too. I think eventually those iMac DV form factor iMacs got upgraded to 16 MB but I'm not sure. You can check http://www.everymac.com/ for specs. I had a blueberry iMac 350 from a client once and had them upgrade to 576 megs, and it was pretty snappy, I was surprised. I have a Lime DV 400 with 256, and the 350 with 576 was definitely faster.