Time Machine shouldn't back up it's own drive

jabohn

3 posts in this topic

Time Machine shouldn't back up things that are on the same drive as itself. In fact, when you go to options to exclude certain locations from backup, the drive is listed there automatically and can't be removed. In my case, though, it looks like it is backing up other folders on that same hard drive.

I just put in a new inter 250GB hard drive (I called it "File Storage"), I put a few folders on it (iPhoto Library, iTunes, Movies) which take up between 50-60GB. When I look this afternoon I saw that only 60 out of the 250 is now free. I went into the Time Machine backup files and "File Storage" is listed there along with the folders mentioned before. I do not want Time Machine to back them up and it shouldn't be. I can't even add them to the exclusion list because that whole hard drive is excluded.

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior?

I think you probably just copied those folders from your main HDD instead of moving them. Check wherever you copied them from; they're probably still there. That's why they're being backed up.

I think you probably just copied those folders from your main HDD instead of moving them. Check wherever you copied them from; they're probably still there. That's why they're being backed up.

Well slap me on the side of my head, how stupid of me...

I hadn't removed those files from the main hard drive where they originated from.

I've been real brainless this weekend.

I suppose I can just leave the backup there then. Eventually Time Machine will run out of space and delete them when they're old.