ToH RC2 DVD wont boot?!?

xDmx

25 posts in this topic

Helllo everyone that will help me out with this.

I have installed tiger in the past but now with leopard dvd i am having trouble. I start up the ToH DVD and it freeze somwhere in the boot after it shows system start items or something like that i am going to figure out when later today. my third DVD i think it might be my download.... My first dvd never booted my 2nd did twice and my 3 not at all

please help.

I have the same problem. While it was booting, it got an error saying something like:

Error Counting Item in /System/StartupItems: No Such Directory.

That was with ISO downloaded from Pirates and burned with Nero.

I tried again by burning the ISO using Disk Utility, but it doesn't boot at all with that.

Need help!

How did you get past that part? Just wait it out?

I am afraid to try again. It messed up my Tiger partition some how, even though it didn't even successfully boot into the Leopard DVD. Very confusing how it could have affected the Tiger partition, but Tiger would freeze at the Mac OS X Starting Up window (blue bar would progress about 1/4 way and freeze).

same here.. The DVD just stops loading after a while.. I know its not the disk cause I've used multiple disks to no success and I know its not the iso file cause I have downloaded it i think twice..

I got the ToH dvd as well, hoping to solve the problem of a brazilmac DVD with SSE2 kernel not booting.

however the ToH hangs at the same place, right after BSD Root: /Ap.....[My DVD Drive location].

I thought it was because my Celeron M didn't cut it for leopard, but I tried booting the DVD on my 2 Pentium Dual-Core systems (Mobile Core Duo and Desktop Core 2 Duo) without success either. both dual-core systems boot the brazilmac dvd with SSE3 only just fine.

Here's a fix that worked for me.

A. Clean install of JaS 10.4.8. (10.4.6 worked for me as well on a second machine.)

B. Enter an administrative name and password when prompted toward the end of the install.

C. Go right to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options - Open the lock with your system Admin name and password - Disable "Login Automatically" - Check "List of Users" radio button - Check "Show the restart, sleep , and shutdown buttons - make sure all other buttons are unchecked.

D. Insert Leopard install disk, open, and double click install icon - When prompted click "Install" - you must then enter your admin name and password. After that the system will reboot.

E. When the system reboots, the Install OSX prompt will appear. Hit the enter button right away, and the UPGRADE install process will begin.

F. Follow the install prompts after the blue screen appears. After disk integrity check, Leopard will begin to install to the hard disk. IMPORTANT: Stay at your machine while the blue status bar moves forward, and move your mouse around a bit every couple of minutes. If you don't do this the system may try to go to sleep, your installation will freeze and may fail.

G. When the system has installed, allow your machine to reboot. You will get a plain grey screen for a (long) while, and after some time, BINGO!!! Leopards cosmic background will appear with a login window.

G1. If you followed the instructions in section "C.", after you log in, Leopard will unfold on your screen. If you did not follow the instructions in "C." , you may still get a login window, BUT the system won't know who you are, and will refuse to let you in. If this happens, erase your disk, start at "A." - and follow ALL the instructions this time!

After a successful install Leopard should boot sweetly every time without any hacks or other nonsense.

As I said, this has worked very well for me. I hope it works for you too!

Sorry - Forgot to add system information,

HP Pavillion ZX 5000 Notebook

3.2GHZ Prescott mobile processor, SSE3 HTT

1 GB DDR 2700 Ram

ATI 9200 Mobility 64MB @ 1200 x800X32 with Callisto b003_Fixed (Followed Omni's instructions)

NEC DVD/CD 8X +/- R RW DL - Working with patch recommended HCL 10.4.6

Hitachi 160 GB HD 5400 rpm

USB 2.0 working "out of box"

Firewire working "out of box"

Ethernet working "out of box"

Wireless G working "out of box"

Sound - not yet working.

About this Mac:

"Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 512 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 200 MHz"

DVD issues: I patched DVD in 10.4.6, started the install from the native drive, as soon as I got a "waiting for root" message, I popped the DVD out of the native drive, put it in an external USD drive, made sure the drive was powered up, and plugged the USB cable into an open USB port on the computer. The system recognized it immediately and continued with the install.

I have read of others doing the entire install from an external DVD drive.

post-118584-1195756763_thumb.jpg

Be sure to start installation FROM your Tiger desktop first. The machine will reboot and you will immediately get the OSX install prompt, hit a key right away to continue the Leopard install. If you don't you will just boot back up into tiger.

If you are not getting the install prompt when your machine reboots, be sure to check your boot order preferences in your system bios. Your bios should be set to boot the optical drive first, and the hard drive second.

Wish I could be there to walk you through it. If Leopard can't see your native optical drive, try an external USB or Firewire DVD drive.

I didn't get any prompt to install leopard. It just went straight into loading Darwin and through that, Tiger as normal. The Leopard DVD should work since I can boot from it, but I get an error that way as described before... What is the optical drive? The CD/DVD Drive? If that was first, wouldn't it just boot to the DVD and start trying to install it and lead to the error I'd get before?

Well, I already restored by computer back to how it was before. Would it work if I tried it from this 10.4.10 install (upgraded from 10.4.8 JaS) without having to wipe it out with a clean install again?

I don't know about 10.4.10. It may work, and may not. What I do know is, that unless your dvd is the primary boot device, your system won't even look at it if your primary hard drive boots first. What you are describing sounds like that may indeed be the issue.

Have you taken a look at your boot device priority settings in system bios. If you find that your HD is set up to boot first, you'll have to change the settings so that the system will boot from the dvd first, and then from the hard drive.

Please check this, make the boot priority changes if needed, and let me know how it goes.

To answer your question about just inserting the dvd and loading Leopard without starting the installation from the desktop - No - I tried this and it did not work. You must start the installation from the desktop, and continue from the darwin prompt.

I switched the boot sequence from the CD/DVD drive first and followed your steps (without reinstalling a clean 10.4.8, though, but rather straight from 10.4.10). It reseted and went to the DVD, giving me the "Hit a key or hit F8" Darwin prompt, but nothing was different from when I tried simply booting from the DVD before. It started booting, loading all the kexts and everything, but encountered the same error as I described before (see the two attached screenshots above to see the error and where my computer hangs). Are you sure your method is a work-around for my error? I don't think a clean installation of 10.4.8 would make much a difference either, since it boots up to the DVD all the same and probably getting the same error, but I don't know.

may sound crazy, but try to remove network card (wireless and/or wired). If network card is integrated, turn off in BIOS setup (first thing you see when comp boots up...usually you hit F2). This worked for me bc DNS error has to do w/ networking.

maniac20 suggested that, and I tried it, but to no avail. I am not sure if I am turning the right thing off though, in the BIOS (I turned off Network Interface Controller). Here's an image showing the options.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 if anyone knows more about disabling the ethernet on it.

post-130768-1195884187_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the network card. Anything is worth trying at least once though. Looks like setup sees your neworkcard just fine and assigns a mac address with no issues.

For the record, I got the same message you have gotten repeatedly until I broke down, wiped the hard disk clean, formated again with hfs, and did a vanilla install of 10.4.8. (or 10.4.6 on the old HP laptop). Unless your DVD drive isn't working, don't attempt to install any patches before installing Leopard. OSX 10.5 will overwrite any patches you have made, and you will have to install them on the fresh system.

It looks as if you are hitting F8 before install. Don't! As soon as you get a darwin screen with a prompt, hit enter or almost any other ket but F8.

Check your dvd to make sure it won't work better as a coaster.

Again, If you already have an install that refuses to upgrade, you will get no joy unless you start from scratch.

Even then, there is no guarantee that you system will run Leopard. You have a P4 processor. Most P4's have only up to SSE2 capabilities. Leopard requires SSE3. Check your processor specifications. If it doesn't have a processor with SSE3, Leopard wont run on your machine.

I swapped out an older Northridge processor (SSE2), for a Prescott with SSE3 to get Leopard running on my old machine. Before you try anything else I suggest you check to see what model processor your machine uses.

Yeah. I turn off the Network Interface Controller, but it can still read my MAC Address, and I think that is what causes the problem. What is a Vanilla install of 10.4.8? I think my DVD is good. I checked with someone else with the size, and they're exactly the same and it boots and everything. I'm thinking it's my computer. I didn't hit F8 at the prompt—I was just describing the prompt that came up. I hit a key and the screen starts listing all the kexts being loaded from the DVD and eventually gets to the error. I am pretty sure my computer is SSE3. I haven't checked in a long time though, since I don't have Windows to check with CPU-Z. Is there any way checking from a Mac?

I suppose the problem might be that I am not doing it from a fresh install, but I don't think that it would make much of a difference because after starting the installer from OS X, it just restarts and boots from the DVD normally seemingly without difference. It just boots to the DVD and will probably get the same error, as it always does. I don't see what starting it from OS X would make a difference, since you told me to set the BIOS to boot from the DVD first. I'm probably being redundant, but that makes it just boot from the DVD as if I didn't start it from OS X, right?

Thanks for all the help, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Right! You won't see any difference in the install until you reach the end and the install is successful. Here goes again: Double click the leopard icon in your DVD drive FROM your tiger desktop. Follow the prompts, use your admin name and password. When you see the darwin screen hit a button so that you are installing from the dvd. At that point there is no indication that an upgrade is taking place, BUT that is what is happening.Read all of the instructions and follow them. Stop being a bonehead with the shortcuts, and the second guessing. I did everything you are doing. I made the same mistakes - but i kept with it until I figured it out. You can reinvent the wheel if you want to. Just don't ignore the instructions and expect this to work. I have given you all of the advice I can. Now it's up to you. Can you follow instructions or not?BTW, "Vanilla" just means a fresh install on a clean disk. Patch the dvd drive if it doesn't work, but don't bother doing anything else before you install Leopard.

Ok. I gave it another fresh install, started the installer from the DVD, it restarted and booted from it, gave me the prompt to hit a key, I did. Started loading its kexts and everything, and got to the same error just as I thought it would.

Looks like you have done your best. My best guess is that you are hitting a wall with your hardware. If 10.4.10 runs well for you, you may want to consider staying with it until a better 10.5 release becomes available.

For and inexpensive Leopard setup I recommend the following;

915GAVL Motherboard

NVIDIA 7600 GT 256MB Graphics/or just go with the integrated Intel graphics at no extra cost.

Intel Prescott socket 775 processor model 640 - cheap, fast, SSE3

1 -2 Gigs PC3200 DDR Ram

An old Linksys 54G adapter with a Broadcom chipset.

No guesswork. No patching. No fuss.

Good luck!