Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Mirror works. Finaly. I not need it, but I'm happy.

QE/CI - work

Black-Blue-Grey-White screen startap - no

Mirror - Work

Extended desktop - work

I will write some tutorial. It is possible on every laptop od desktop computer. Only problem is my english. They don't work like my Toshiba U300.

EDIT: So, solution for mirror is not complicated. You must have SL 10.6.2 and x64 mode. And it works.

• 2 weeks later...

There is copy PM I set today to some guy.

Hi.

Only think you need is retail x3100 kext from retail SL DVD. If they works you have 0x2a02 graphics card like me. You don't need anything else. That is very important because nobody (in some distribution), don't use retail .kexts. You have vanila platform. So no need for iDeneb or iPC. You need just retail DVD and some boot loader. I use some from www.3rr0rist.com SL DVD is not good from that site.

You need all *x3100.kext. Only think you can remove are 950.kext and AppleFrameBuffer.kext (just below x3100).

If you have messed screen you can try to change resolution without VNC. There is posibility to do that with keyboard.

Press Shift+Alt (or windows key, I'm not shure)+A, type SYS, Pres Alt+O, type displays, press Enter, press TAB. Now you are in change resolution tab. With Up or DownArrow you change resolution. One time you have scrren, that is default resolution for that monitor with that EDID.

There is problem with EDID. Mac OS not read EDID every time. In that case you need to read EDID from windows or Linux and put them in display overide. Finaly, you need SwitchResX (trial is good) to manage default resolution on monitor. SwitcResX will write them in display overide.

You can reed this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208410

But steel need SwitchResX for default resolution. If you don't have overide for your monitor, you can make it, and make exactly copy for 756e6b6e-717.I hope there is some help for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

legacy_kernel-10.3.0.pkg.zip pack helped me to get 10.3.0 kernel - thanks for the creator of this pack.

10.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0: Fri Apr 2 13:26:19 EDT 2010; annappirtrvh v3 :xnu-1504.3.12/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

The first problem I found is that I cannot boot into Leo disk0s2.

Regards,

bozon42

PS: rewritten /Volumes/SnowLeo/legacy_kernel -->mach_kernel

in :

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration//com.apple.Boot.plist

rewritten:

legacy_kernel -->mach_kernel

and OK!!!

p2: Leo -v -f arch=i386 cpus=1

p3: SnowLeo -v -f

Regards,

bozon42

Hey guys, I hope to help me in the acceleration of the graphics card and Quartz Extreme. I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my dell 1525 laptop, and graphics acceleration is very slow despite having 2 GB of RAM, an example is that I can not use iWork and the menubar is not translucent. I would like to fix this problem since i only have this and the ethernet. Thanks in advance.

ntel GMA X3100: Chipset Model: GMA X3100 Type: Screen Bus: Integrated VRAM (total): 144 MB Manufacturer: Intel (0x8086) Device ID: 0x2a02 Revision ID: 0x000c Screens: Display: Resolution: 1280 x 800 Depth: 32-bit Color Integrated: Yes Core Image: Software Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Quartz Extreme: Incompatible Display Connector: Status: No display connected

this config after path in Post #184 but the video card works with problems. For example the top panel is displayed in black, Systems Perfemantses not drawn. When playing a video stream is displayed.

Sony vaio 180e

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

SwitchResX4 - Unknown Monitor:

Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 58 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

ps

please update link for http://www.media-blues.com/AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Please excuse me if this has already been discussed and resolved.

I am able to boot into the system and use over VNC, however the LCD screen is black.

I have a Thinkpad T61 with GMA X3100 and Native LCD @ 1680x1050. DevID: 0x2a02, RevID: 0x000c.

My current issue is with Snow Leopard as I've no problem getting my laptop to work on Leopard.

Currently I'm using 10.6.3, but this problem existed on all previous SL versions as well.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

My computer is a lenovo x61 tablet (C2Duo, X3100). I got everything working now.

My problem:

There is no rotation possible on internal LCD-Display. The same thing on Apple laptops using the Intel X3100. Otherwise, connecting an external display (vga-port), rotation is working und usable.

Is there a way (maybe DSDT hack?) making this feature available at internal displays?

Rotation is not supported on internal displays as far as I am aware. Maybe someone can modify the drivers to support it but there is no quick fix (DSDT, Natit, etc.) that can enable that.

Does someone help me with my card, I need a Natit.kext or efi string for make working my videocard:

Type: Pantalla

Bus: Integrado

VRAM (total): 144 MB

Fabricante: Intel (0x8086)

ID del dispositivo: 0x2a02

ID de la revisión: 0x0003

are there someone having this videocard working properly?

This goes to all Compaq 610 who have iATKOS v7 installed. I got it working using this kext.

All I did was to remove all GMAX3100 kext and replace it with the one i download. Install with Kexthelper. After that run disk repair and reboot.

Frontrow works nice, sound clear, web cam out of the box, video players nice.

Download x3100 2a12 vga

Specs From system Profiler:

Intel GMA X3100:

Device ID: 0x2a12

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768 @ 96 Hz

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Now left with my LAN and wifi and got my full working hackintosh.

Guys, i have a vanilla SL installation on my Toshiba laptop with x3100. Everything works correctly, system is working, but!

Every other boot a have a black screen. After the reset screen works, than another startup - black screen, than again ok, and so on. I mean they are normal startups, no KPs, nothing!

I can live with it, but maybe any fix out there?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

You can try kexts from McGyver ( find on kexts.com) + Natit + EDID ovverride method

or if have DSDT only try kexts.

For me on HP Compaq 610 worked all methods.

Good Luck.

Hi, I have a x3100 id: 2a02 rev:03 with iATKOS v7, and works fine with the drivers that come in iatkos, except the brightness control, the brightness control works fine if I delete the kext of the drivers, someone can help me to get working the brightness control? or does someone have the same card working with control brightness?

Please help me!.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys

I have Hp 6720s with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 but the GMA X3100 (0x2a12) doesn't work

What can I do ?

Hola buoo:

He realizado lo siguiente: he extraido del comboupdate 10.6.3 los kext de la tarjeta X3100 así como los bundle; los he instalado en SL/Libreria/Extensiones y posteriormente he instalado el programa 2a12 Patcher (lo encontré en ésta muy buena web que es insanelymac, no sé decirte dónde pues no lo apunté, perdón al que lo subió por no aportar su nombre (creo que fue BlackCH( pero a pesar de todo muchas gracias) para parchear los kext a la ID de nuestras tarjetas. Después he utilizado kextutility para recomponer la carpeta Extensiones. Una vez hecho ésto he reiniciado el sistema y obtengo el escritorio con 1280x800 (sin QE/CI) pero ahora logro arrancar programas como Aperture, Camtasia, ... que antes no dejaba porque decía que la tarjeta no era compatible con QE/CI. Lo cierto es que si voy a perfil de sistema... pantallas no aparece QE/CI activado. Espero haber aportado algo a tu problema. Salu2

Archivo a instalar: 2a12Patcher

2a12Patcher.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I think by now I have tried everything possible and impossible to get my 3100 working with internal LCD. Nothing helps. If I connect external monitor it works great, with QE, hi res, etc. The system believes that internal LCD is active as well, but it just stays black. If I force displays to sleep - the backlight on internal LCD switches off, when I move the mouse - it comes on again, but there is no picture there. Again, at the same time external monitor works perfectly (obviously initially I had to "fish" for settings window to bring it from non-working LCD to external monitor, then change the external one to be primary, etc.).

I really tried all the tricks I could find. If I delete "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" I get internal LCD working, but just in VESA mode.

I have a feeling that the problem is with the resolution/refresh rate for the internal LCD, I'm trying to use SwitchResX to create custom resolution, but there are myriads of settings and without knowing what would work it's impossible to do anything.

Playing with different versions of "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" doesn't help. DSDT fixes don't work either.

Here is what I'm using:

Dell Latitude D830

x3100 Intel graphics

SnowLeo 10.6.2

Chameleon Version 2.0.0 RC4

I have pretty much everything working great, just cannot get internal LCD to show anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

This goes to all Compaq 610 who have iATKOS v7 installed. I got it working using this kext.

All I did was to remove all GMAX3100 kext and replace it with the one i download. Install with Kexthelper. After that run disk repair and reboot.

Frontrow works nice, sound clear, web cam out of the box, video players nice.

Download x3100 2a12 vga

Specs From system Profiler:

Intel GMA X3100:

Device ID: 0x2a12

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768 @ 96 Hz

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Now left with my LAN and wifi and got my full working hackintosh.

Joe,

Could you please upload the archive on another site than rapidshare (ie mediafire) ? There are hundreds of guys sharing my IP so i cannot download from rapidshare.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I think by now I have tried everything possible and impossible to get my 3100 working with internal LCD. Nothing helps. If I connect external monitor it works great, with QE, hi res, etc. The system believes that internal LCD is active as well, but it just stays black. If I force displays to sleep - the backlight on internal LCD switches off, when I move the mouse - it comes on again, but there is no picture there. Again, at the same time external monitor works perfectly (obviously initially I had to "fish" for settings window to bring it from non-working LCD to external monitor, then change the external one to be primary, etc.).

I really tried all the tricks I could find. If I delete "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" I get internal LCD working, but just in VESA mode.

I have a feeling that the problem is with the resolution/refresh rate for the internal LCD, I'm trying to use SwitchResX to create custom resolution, but there are myriads of settings and without knowing what would work it's impossible to do anything.

Playing with different versions of "AppleIntelGMAX3100*" doesn't help. DSDT fixes don't work either.

Here is what I'm using:

Dell Latitude D830

x3100 Intel graphics

SnowLeo 10.6.2

I have pretty much everything working great, just cannot get internal LCD to show anything.

Thanks!!

try using chameleon 2 RC3 instead....that worked for me. RC4 didn't....

Hi there,

Here is what I'm using:

Dell Latitude D830

x3100 Intel graphics

SnowLeo 10.6.2

Thanks!!

All right, I got it finally working!!! The missing fix was "Dual link fix". Here is the quote from CharredPC:

While working this evening with flames, we had a DUH! moment. After needing to mod my lcd cable to accommodate a higher resolution screen, I of all people should have known why his fix works. Here's the simple truth of it.

If you have an X3100 videocard (or perhaps others) in your laptop, and have an LCD that displays higher resolutions than 1280x800, you'll likely need the Dual link fix. All you need is this:

CODE

Name (_ADR, 0x00020000) // <--find in DSDT and add the following after: //

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package ()

{

"AAPL01,DualLink",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

The reason why this works is easy. Higher-resolution LCD's require two data lines to handle the increased information. With my original 1280x800 LCD, OSX worked perfectly. Once I upgraded it to a 1440x900, OSX showed a black screen. Just like in a DVI connector, to get better resolutions you need... you got it- Dual Link capability. Windows and some older OSX drivers + Natit automatically enable Dual link, but the latest Leopard stock kexts do not. Without this flag telling OSX to use Dual Link, your backlight comes on, but the video data isn't getting through. Once this fix is added, OSX knows to send a dual stream of data, and the image comes through.

As flames has said before, this doesn't fix everything for everyone. It's a specific case for those of us with higher-resolution X3100 laptops. For people with EDID issues as well (like myself), it's half the solution. Display Overrides seem to be a working fix in the meantime. If you have a black screen, try this fix, and the results are strange, scrambled, or stretched, you likely have an EDID issue as well. This means your screen has been found, dual link is enabled, but OSX has no idea what kind of display it is so talks to it with incorrect default values. In this case, the following might help-

Boot to Windows and retrieve your EDID using this. I was able to get mine from within OSX because after multiple reboots, it can occasionally read the EDID and displays fine. You may want to try that if you don't have Windows installed. Now boot into OSX and (using screen sharing, if the screen is unusable) open SwitchResX. Find the fake display and vendor id's it is using (mine is using /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 ). Copy that file to your desktop, and rename it to *.plist. Open it with Plist Editor Pro, and add your EDID. If that file isn't there, or you don't have all the data, you can try simply using / editing mine, which I have attached below. Once done, remove the .plist extension, overwrite the default Override, and reboot. If all goes well, when OSX can't read your EDID, it will use the default Display Override again and this time get the proper data from there. If you have a better way to do this, please share.

I'm still researching a way to directly inject EDID data into the DSDT, and will update here when I have news. I believe I'm fairly close, thanks to flames' help. Until then, I'll try and keep my wild speculations and incoherent uneducated ramblings to a minimum

Hi there,

thanx for your help with all these dsdt hacks.

Unfortunatly I stioll have the same problem. I tried the DualLink patch from above but it still not working. On my internal display which works under Linux and windows with 1440x900, only a half display is shown like my shot shows.

But as you also see, the internal display resolution is correctly recognized, so I don't think that I have a problem with my EDID.

On that external display x203h, everything works fine!

Could you give me an advise what I can try next?

Thanks,

teufel2k

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model:	GMA X3100
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	144 MB
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x2a02
 Revision ID:	0x000c
 Displays:
  Display:
 Resolution:	1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-Bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Built-In:	Yes
  X203H:
 Resolution:	1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
 Depth:	32-Bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported

And here my DDC block report:

DDC block report generated by SwitchResX version 4.0.3 for display
Unknown Monitor

-----------------------------------------------------
------------------- RAW DATA ------------------------
  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  A  B  C  D  E  F
0  | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 06 AF 47 13 00 00 00 00
1  | 01 10 01 03 80 1E 13 78 0A 87 F5 94 57 4F 8C 27
2  | 27 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
3  | 01 01 01 01 01 01 9E 25 A0 40 51 84 0C 30 40 20
4  | 33 00 2F BD 10 00 00 19 5A 1F A0 40 51 84 0C 30
5  | 40 20 33 00 2F BD 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 FE 00 47
6  | 52 35 38 34 00 42 31 34 31 50 57 31 00 00 00 FE
7  | 00 28 38 44 4D 6D 96 B6 FF 02 01 0A 20 20 00 3A

<  00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 06AF4713 00000000 01100103 801E1378 0A87F594 574F8C27 27505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 01019E25 A0405184 0C304020 33002FBD 10000019 5A1FA040 51840C30 40203300 2FBD1000 00000000 00FE0047 52353834 00423134 31505731 000000FE 00283844 4D6D96B6 FF02010A 2020003A	> 

Valid EDID block: checksum passed

------------------- MAIN EDID BLOCK -----------------

EDID Version........1.3
Manufacturer........AUO
Product Code........18195 (4713) (1347) 
Serial Number.......00000000

Manufactured........Week 1 of year 2006
Max H Size..........30 cm
Max V Size..........19 cm
Gamma...............2.20

Display Supported Features:
---------------------------

Display type:
------------- 
RGB 4:4:4 & YCrCb 4:4:4 Color Encoding Formats
Display is non continuous frequency
Default color space is not sRGB standard
Preferred timing mode includes Native Pixel Format

Input signal & sync:
-------------------- 
Digital Input
Color Bit Depth is undefined 
Digital Interface is not defined   

Color info:
----------- 
Red x = 0.580  Green x = 0.310  Blue x = 0.155  White x = 0.313
Red y = 0.340  Green y = 0.550  Blue y = 0.155  White y = 0.329

Established Timings:
-------------------- 

Manufacturer Reserved Timings:
------------------------------ 

Standard Timing Identification:
------------------------------- 

Monitor Description blocks:
--------------------------- 
Descriptor #0 - Timing definition:
Mode = 1440 x 900 @ 59.996Hz
	Pixel Clock............. 96.30 MHz		Non-Interlaced

Horizontal		Vertical
	Active.................. 1440 pixels		 900 lines
	Front Porch.............   64 pixels		   3 lines
	Sync Width..............   32 pixels		   3 lines
	Back Porch..............  224 pixels		   6 lines
	Blanking................  320 pixels		  12 lines
	Total................... 1760 pixels		 912 lines
	Scan Rate...............  54.716 kHz		 59.996 Hz

Image Size..............  303 mm		 189 mm
	Border..................	0 pixels		   0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
			* Negative vertical polarity
			* Negative horizontal polarity

Descriptor #1 - Timing definition:
Mode = 1440 x 900 @ 50.002Hz
	Pixel Clock............. 80.26 MHz		Non-Interlaced

Horizontal		Vertical
	Active.................. 1440 pixels		 900 lines
	Front Porch.............   64 pixels		   3 lines
	Sync Width..............   32 pixels		   3 lines
	Back Porch..............  224 pixels		   6 lines
	Blanking................  320 pixels		  12 lines
	Total................... 1760 pixels		 912 lines
	Scan Rate...............  45.602 kHz		 50.002 Hz

Image Size..............  303 mm		 189 mm
	Border..................	0 pixels		   0 lines

Sync: Analog composite with Sync on green
{...}

post-415366-1276198912_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello

Im new to these forums, And i have a problem, I was watching a video on youtube about Kalyway 10.5.2 install on a Dell Inspiron 1525.

The only thing he changed was in the customize section and he choose GMAX3100.

Then installed and worked nicely.

When i tried, I finished the install, But i get loads of Horizontal lines going across my screen.

I need help!!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I figured I'd get some input on what might be wrong with my x3100. I recently got a Compaq 610 laptop, 15.6" widescreen display capable of 1366x768x32 resolution with x3100 video. OSx86 Tools reports the following:

Display: Intel GME 965/GLE960 [8086:2a13] (rev 0c)

VGA Compatible Controller: Intel GME 965/GLE960 [8086:2a12] (rev 0c)

I originally tried to install Snow Leopard with three different boot-132 CDs, but the installer would kernal panic shortly after the SL disk was put into the DVD drive. So I went with iDeneb 10.5.7 and installed without a hiccup. I chose the x3100 driver during the install process but boot to a 1024x768 screen and I can't change the resolution.

At this point, everything else critical is working (audio, wifi...).

All I need now is to get better resolution to be happy. QE would be nice, as would external display support, but I can live without that.

Downloaded a set of x3100 drivers I found on the GMA960 thread, but it didn't help.

Suggestions?

[uPDATE]

I found this on the snowleopard thread

for graphics to work open terminal an paste this lines:

sudo -s

perl -pi -e "s|\x86\x80\x02\x2A|\x86\x80\x12\x2A|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

perl -pi -e "s|\x86\x80\x02\x2A|\x86\x80\x12\x2A|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMAX3100

perl -pi -e "s|028086|128086|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/Info.plist

perl -pi -e "s|028086|128086|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/Info.plist

touch /System/Library/Extensions

So I did that, repaired permissions and rebooted. Now, I'm rebooting to a blue screen. I hooked up an external monitor (not a widescreen) and it came to life at 1024x768 with the ability to switch resolutions...however 1280x1024 is the largest video resolution listed, so I'm wondering if the real issue is that this laptop's 15 inch widescreen with a native resolution of 1366x768 is not compatible with the Mac x3100 driver...?

Yes, I'm in over my head, but this is the only thing separating this from being a perfectly working machine.