Update from ToH 10.5 to 10.5.1 on Dell Inspiron 6400 fails

juan_cl

9 posts in this topic

I just updated my 10.5 ToH working installation to 10.5.1 via Software Update. It asked me to restart, so I did, but OS X does not boot again, it just spins the wheel forever. I started it in verbose, and OS X gets stuck at this:

...a lot of text...
NTFS driver 2.0 (Flags R/O)
NTFS volume name , version 3.1
NTFS volume name , version 3.1

I left it on for hours, yet it won't go past that. I'm on a Dell Inspiron 6400, core duo, GMA 950. Has anyone had this type of problem? Any solutions?

edit:tried to repair permissions using the ToH Leopard DVD, but it keeps getting stuck at the same place.

I think that the new kernel is not working, try to boot with a Install DVD, place your previous working kernel in a USB disk, when you get the installation window goto Utilities Terminal and copy back from the USB to your Leo Volume.

On a second thought it maybe not the kernel, I tested early today moving away dsmos.kext and my Dell never present the Desktop, so I place back the dsmos.kext, the Kernel I have is the vanilla one, but I think some other kexts need dsmos.

• 3 weeks later...

com.apple.boot.plist is just a text file, XML that has some boot option, of course if you had a different kernel like a patched/hacked one you can point to that kernel there.

But just the replacement does nothing.

Here is my experience:

Platform Dell XPS 1210

Patched DVD (Brazilmac) installed perfectly. Applied the post patch. Had to replace the Broadcom 440 kext to get networking.

Installed EFI v5 patch and was able to boot with the vanilla kernel. System working fine so far.

Undertook to install the software update (10.5.1) from Apple site. After this the m/c boots up but gives me a blank screen. I tried to replace the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the patched DVD without any luck. I suspected it was the graphics driver (GMA950).

I have seen the boot process stop at "NTFS ..." as in Juan Luis's post during my attempt to rescue the installation.

I decided to reload in the meantime.

I would like to know what I can update using the update file (dmg) without breaking the installation.