where can i find more info on this PC_EFI thingy ?

hardware

6 posts in this topic

'PC_EFI' is a modified version of the normal Darwin bootloader which sticks some data into an area of RAM which doesn't get overwritten by the kernel on loading. These values would have been put there by a real EFI and allow an unmodified Apple kernel to boot. It's doing exactly the same thing Natit does for the graphics drivers for the kernel, pre-boot.

To make it clear, it's not real EFI, and it's not even an emulation of EFI - it's just doing part of the job EFI would do. There's no replacement of your BIOS, Bootcamp will not work, you will still install your operating systems on MBR-partitioned drives, you computer will not go 'dong'. The the main advantage to this is it allows us to run a nearly unmodified OS X install, with just a few kexts like dsmos.kext and Natit, which means that you will be able to install updates from Software Update without messing up the system.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

We really need a thread stickied that explains this, judging by the number of posts asking these questions I'm seeing.

'PC_EFI' is a modified version of the normal Darwin bootloader which sticks some data into an area of RAM which doesn't get overwritten by the kernel on loading. These values would have been put there by a real EFI and allow an unmodified Apple kernel to boot. It's doing exactly the same thing Natit does for the graphics drivers for the kernel, pre-boot.

To make it clear, it's not real EFI, and it's not even an emulation of EFI - it's just doing part of the job EFI would do. There's no replacement of your BIOS, Bootcamp will not work, you will still install your operating systems on MBR-partitioned drives, you computer will not go 'dong'. The the main advantage to this is it allows us to run a nearly unmodified OS X install, with just a few kexts like dsmos.kext and Natit, which means that you will be able to install updates from Software Update without messing up the system.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

We really need a thread stickied that explains this, judging by the number of posts asking these questions I'm seeing.

Thank you so much for making it clearer for me ...

In the meantime I will sit and wait for the TOH release of osx

Thanks

:(