patching a 10.4.6 installation disc to work with VMware

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I know this is going to be a real newbie question, but I've searched and searched around the forum to no avail.

Basically, I need to run Mac OS software at home, but I don't own a Mac. I was able to successfully create disc images of my friend's real Mac OSX discs (Tiger 10.4.6). Is there any way to patch these disc images so that they can be installed to VMware? I know I should go find the JaS or XxX disc images out there, but my internet connection is dead slow and I need Mac OSX to get my work down ASAFP. Besides, Demon has blocked all CDN traffic, so I'm out of luck.

Thanks,

daver

So I posted this same question elsewhere, and it got completely ignored. Maybe because I posted it in the wrong section?

Anyways, I'm a complete noob to the OSx86 scene. I've scoured the whole forum for this, but nothing has really helped me much.

Basically, I need to run Mac OS software at home, but I don't own a Mac. I was able to successfully create disc images of my friend's real Mac OSX discs (Tiger 10.4.6) and burn them to DL DVDs. Is there any way to patch these disc images so that they can be installed to VMware? I know I should go find the JaS or XxX disc images out there, but my internet connection is dead slow and I need Mac OSX to get my work down ASAFP. Besides, Demon has blocked all CDN traffic, so I'm out of luck.

Would it be better to get Leopard instead? I don't really know the difference, but if any of you think it's better than Tiger, I could get the Leopard DVD from my friend as well.

Thanks,

daver

topics merged. certainly 10.4.6 has been run in vmware.. as I recall much the same patches were needed as for booting on AMD. any reason not to use something newer? (also, if its a retail 10.4.6 DVD it's ppc only: try pearpc)

indeed, i've read that 10.4.6 can be run in VMware, but you need the JaS version, or so says the tutorials/guides at the OSx86 Wiki page.

i don't really need anything newer than 4.6 since the software doesn't require it, but i guess it's time to give up on patching the DVD's then eh?

thanks anyways!

Maybe this reply is too late but no, its not easy to patch a normal 10.4.6 to work with x86. If you really want to run it in VMware, get a newer x86 release like JaS 10.4.8 and install and you most likely won't have much problems.

Maybe this reply is too late but no, its not easy to patch a normal 10.4.6 to work with x86. If you really want to run it in VMware, get a newer x86 release like JaS 10.4.8 and install and you most likely won't have much problems.

@pcwiz,

i've been trying to find a JaS release, but it's impossible given the situation with Demonoid and blocking Canadian traffic, etc.

at home i'm a Fedora junkie, at work i'm using WinXP/Vista and OSX. i also tinker around with software much of the time, and i've never managed to crash a system - regardless of the operating system - to date. so i consider myself pretty computer savvy, so i wouldn't mind spending a few hours patching the DVD, if it would actually work.

You can find JaS 10.4.8 on TONS AND TONS of torrent sites other than Demonoid.

yes, there are tons are torrents. but there are no seeders. considering that i really, really, really need something running Mac OSX really soon, I've given up on waiting for a torrent to finish. at the rate i'm looking at, it's giving me the good ol' "infinite" time, since it's been trickling downstream at ~500b/s average. that's pathetic.

i'll just spring for some really old and cheap iBook on Craigslist. at least that way i'm guaranteed a working Mac OS, lol