Vmware + OSX on Linux Install Woes

kmand

8 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the best place to post since I'm running Vmware Workstation 6.2 on Linux not Windows. Let me know if there is a better place.

I'm trying to bring up the

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

I'm doing it from a physical dvd. I get as far as the "Preparing Installation" gui with several minutes of the barber poll, and then one of two things happens

If I configure the machine with 1024K of memory, I get a "Because of a Problem, Installing Mac OS X could not be completed", and it offers me a log. The log has a variety of crashes for unknown threads.

If I configure the machine with 512K of memory, I get further. I get a "Welcome to the Jas OS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 Installer" before the "Problem" screen. Once I even got as far as choose the hard disk (though the list was empry), before the crash.

Any ideas?

PCWIZ, thanks for your help. I have gotten further with your other suggestion of using

JaS 10.4.7 Repack ISO

that made a difference that got me further before I get stuck. Switching to VMware Workstation 6.0 build 4573 from 6.01 didn't actually make any difference.

So now all goes well in the install until it needs to do a reboot. At the reboot I see the Darwin loading message, followed by the Apple grey screen with logo , and then a vmware popup saying that the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.

Now I'm stuck again. Remember this is on Linux.

Also my CPU is a

Intel® Pentium® M processor 2.00GHz

with

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up est tm2

I've seen some references to the current problem being related to not have having SSE2, but this cpu does have it (but not SSE3).

I finally got this going. The last problem was the SSE2 patch. Although my Fujitusu laptop uses a Pentium M (2.0 GHZ) with SSE2, I could not get it to work with that patch. If I just select the Intel combo patch, it does work.

The performance, however, is really bad. It's too slow to really use.

It seems like any action forces Linux up to near 100% cpu, which top shows as almost all SYS time.

On the mac side it looks all like USER time, so it not the AppleTPMACPI.kext issue.

I didn't see anything else in the speedups that was relevant.

Am I missing something, or is this really not useable on 2GHZ Pentium M?

I did also load it on a core 2 duo system and it does work a lot better.

VMware on Linux is a nightmare, when I finally isntalled it could not take my Mac partition, a message display taht I have no permissions, and if I run VMware as root cmoes with another error :angry: :angry: :angry: