ATI HD2600 Mobility Support

newkind

37 posts in this topic

Well, I'm also using ATI HD2600 mobility. I tried to search driver for this card but there are only driver for ATI HD2600 pro. In this forum I found 1 topic that has natit.kext for HD 2600 series. I tried it and nothing work. Have any one found driver for this card?

• 4 weeks later...

Im also still on the lookout for a fix for the mobility HD2600.

I can boot OSX without extra commands at boot, did remove all ATI stuff out off the folder.

Love to get a bit higher resolutions working, and of course the acceleration stuff after that.

Im working on a Toshiba A200-237

• 2 weeks later...

All I can do for the moment is :

-Driver for your ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

-Resolution 1152x864

*Look here : http://netkas.org/?cat=7 in particular this topic http://netkas.org/?p=56

Boot into safe mode, put Natit.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ and remove all ATI***.kext files !!

To install it, activate the root account, it's very important. Go to your HD and then Applications/Utilities. Open Directory Utility. Click the unlock in the Directory Utility window.

Enter an administrator account name and password, then click OK. Choose Enable Root User from the Edit menu and enter the root password you wish to use in both the Password and Verify fields, then click OK.

Now open Terminal and type :

su (press enter and type your root password and repress enter)

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext (press enter)

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext (press enter)

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext (press enter)

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/ (press enter)

sudo diskutil repairPermissions / (press enter)

Reboot.

*If you don't have any password for your account, create one (it's not hard I won't explain). You will be able to change or remove it after.

Now open Terminal and type :

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist (press enter)

It will ask a password for sudo, it's your password account. If you don't have any

password and try to do it, it won't work.

Now your com.apple.Boot.plist file is opened and you can modify it as you want.

You can see a lot of :

<key>xxx</key>
<string>xxx</string>

Copy one of them (with the spaces to respect the alignment) and paste it after the last one replacing :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

Other tip : to speed up Darwin's timeout count-down

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>25</string>

(replace the 25 by the number of seconds you want)

Now save your file (It's "Write out" Ctrl + O) It will ask a name, don't worry if you see "$t" only in the name, don't touch and press enter.

Reboot and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

i could'nt activate the root account when i open directory utility and open the lock i click the + icon then i am haveing troubble with the domain! i have to fill something in it and it alwasy checks and i am not on any network so ....

wat do i do now?

• 9 months later...

I have installed Leopard on my Toshiba Satellite P200 laptop, also with an HD2600 Mobility. I used the iPC OSx86 Final PPF5 iso and the vanilla installation went well with no problems.

However, on my first boot after the install I had the same issue that newkind did. I tried running in safemode with the -v -x -f boot commands, and it booted fine, however when I proceeded to delete the driver ID from the atiradeonx2000.kext and re-booted the OS just hung on the loading screen.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Should I use a different ISO? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any updates on the ATI HD2600 MOBILITY? So many people are waiting for full support of this card.

Yeah I second that. I have a Toshiba Satellite P200 Pro with the ATI (never again) Mobility HD 2600 Pro 512 card in it. Noone can seem to get it to work. No supposed mac gurus, no linux experts, no Unix code masters, noone. I didn't think it was impossible but I am starting to think it is.

I'm also laughing after pouring over forums for ages with this issue, and hearing stuff from die hard mac fans like, Macs just work, or (my fav) WORLDS MOST ADVANCED OPERATING SYSTEM) HAH!

if it's this difficult to get a video card to work no wonder apple limit the amount of hardware they make, and only support certain types, I reckon they simply can't write the correct kexts or make unix talk to things properly. It seems that Unix is so picky with every little turn, one wrong injector, one wrong string, one this one that. (Kernel panics happen a lot more than bSod when you are playing with stuff in system library extension.) Advanced my butthole. At least windows will boot up with every single card from every single manufacturer first time, every time, and 8-9 times out of ten esp with new versions with it already installed. I know we are essentially running a half-crack version, but to be honest it doesn't surprise me that noone makes hardware for macs, because look how difficult and how long it takes to get right.

I am going to buy a new laptop with an Nvidia card and never ever purchase another Ati product again, EVer. I know it's not all the fault of guys probably working tirelessly for us Mac user wannabees, cus I heard that ATi need a driver for every card, but for a lifetime windows user who was interested in Mac simply for work purposes, a lot of my clients use macs in the Copier business, and personal interest, not wanting to write off macs without using them, I can tell you I'm not forking out $3500 on a macbook pro, when I'm not using mac all the time.

I hope some smart, unix genius who knows exactly how to make this work steps up and proves me wrong, and just writes it. But I doubt that'll happen. I think it simply can't be done. And you know why. Apple haven't used a mobility radeon hd2600 in any of their laptops that I know of. That could be our answer right there.