Best MOBO For A Quad System?

6 posts in this topic

Whats the best mobo for a quad system???

I was intrested in the Badaxe2 or Gigabyte GA P35-DS4 what do u recommend?

Are these a bit old now?

Thxs

The Bad Axe 2 is getting old! Go for the GA-P35-DS4, or the GA-P35-DS3P! the P35 chipset is very nice, supports upcomming Penryn processors, and are better for overclocking!

I really won't take the Bad Axe 2 now, since it's a lil bit out of date...unless u really don't want to upgrade you system the following years...

But still, i would take one with a P35 chipset.

It depends on what you want your system to do. The latest greatest isn't always the best choice when building a system for a hacked OS. New boards will often involve newer chipsets and an underlayer that might not be the most compatible. It also depends on whether your system is mostly OSX or mostly PC. There are only a handful of truly OSX compatible motherboards out there and those you've mentioned are among them.

Personally, I'd still put my BA2 system up there with the best of them, but also, it's not the cheapest board out there. Actually, when it comes to running parallels, it's quite a bit more responsive than my Mac Pro. I have 3 BA2 systems and will probably add one more to the suite.

The Gigabyte boards mentioned here are a good choice from what I've read though, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

dont people know how to search?

anyway, I went BA2. yeah its not as forward compatable, but seriously. If i am going to UPGRADE its not going to be for something as incrimental as the next refresh, i would at least look 2-3 refreshes out where who knows if the p35 chipset is going to ready for that. I am going for proven stability in the here and now.