Problems installing to VMWare on Dell D620: Black Screen on Reboot

8 posts in this topic

I'm new (and pretty disoriented at this point). FYI, I'm posting here, because I'm not sure if I should be using Tiger or Leopard, given my system.

I downloaded and burned 10.4.10 to DVD (on the recommendation of someone who knows more than me).

I followed the guide this guide for installing osx86 to a VM under Vmware Server. I was able to complete the installation according to these instructions. (Through step 8, and to the end of the installer, and then the VM rebooted.) When I try to boot into the VM, I get through the bios screen, but then I get a black screen with a cursor near the top left corner, and it just hangs there.

I don't know what to do next. Please let me know what's the next step, or if I've gone down the wrong path.

System Details:

Host OS: Ubuntu 7.10

Vmware Server Console 1.0.4 build-56528

VM Disk files live on a USB drive, which *is* mounted.

Dell Latitude D620

Core 2 Duo Processor

Broadcom 4311 Wireless (Dell 1390)

Intel Graphics (945G?)

First of all 10.4.10 doesn't work with VMware so get an image that works like JaS 10.4.8. If it still doesn't work for you, try using my VMware Install Guide:

Okay, I'm using an image called Mac OSX 10.4.8 JaS AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 with PPF1 PPF2. I got to the point where I'm supposed to partition the Vmware drive, but I'm only seeing the DVDROM drive, and not the Vmware drive. Do you know what's wrong?

Did you follow my guide EXACTLY? And check that in VMware your virtual hard drive is IDE, not SCSI. Change it if needed.

Yup, you're right. That was it. I'm all the way to registration now. I'm unsure what to do at this step, but I'll look around for the answer.

Thanks for the pointers.