Painfully slow disc burning

6 posts in this topic

Is there a secret hidden setting to determine the speed of DVD burning in OS X? Right now, the burning is painfully slow. In fact, I prefer to boot with my Knoppix LiveCD and use K3B when I need to burn a DVD because it's quicker this way. I don't understand why I was always able to burn DVD at 8x when I was on Vista (crappy M$ OS) :thumbsup_anim: and on OS X, it seem to be burning at less than 4x.

I use Macdotnub with OS X 10.4.10 and I have an Asus PL5-VM with a Core2Due E6400. Maybe the problem is caused by the fact I have two disc reader plugged into the same IDE cable? Unfortunately, I have only one IDE connector on my motherboard.

I use Macdotnub with OS X 10.4.10 and I have an Asus PL5-VM with a Core2Due E6400. Maybe the problem is caused by the fact I have two disc reader plugged into the same IDE cable? Unfortunately, I have only one IDE connector on my motherboard.
(my emphasis) . . if one of two devices on the same channel is not working in DMA mode, both devices [ie the IDE channel] will be set to the rate of the lowest-speed device.

Ok, but how do I change this setting in OS X? What's even more strange is that, I tried to burn a DVD in Windows XP inside a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion and the burning speed is normal even if I'm using a virtualized Windows XP as opposed to a real XP.