create an image harddrive with osx86

Ruud

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I finally got osx86 working with my x700 mobility card etc, and now i want to backup my hard drive to an external hdd.

Then when something goes wrong i want to restore it with an bootable restore dvd.

For all this I used norton ghost on windows, but I don't know any programs like this for the osx86 mac, so can someone help me with this?

Thanks.

Ruud

SuperDuper will allow you to make images that can be restored via the disk utility on the install disk. I prefer using CopyCatX. It is the fastest thing I've found for making full (not incremental) images. It requires being installed on another OSX86 drive because it unmounts the drive that's being copied. I have it installed on a usb external drive. I'm lucky enough to have a dozen or so extra drives so that's not a problem for me.

SuperDuper may take a while to do the first total backup, but after that you can just do incremental backups (saving only the changes made since the last full backup) and that is very quick. Hope this helps.

acronis true image worked just fine for me.

and it got some cool features.

for example you can boot from the cd and then make a backup of your hd to another computer via network.

so I had no problem backing up my hackintosh to my fileserver.

and it can handle hfs+ without a problem. I once allready put the backup back and it worked just fine.