Censoring Language in Private Messages - Why?

5 posts in this topic

A "private" message is a conversation between two or more people. Censoring words in that private conversation is inappropriate.

Yes, a case can be made for the situation where one member doesn't know a 2nd member but sends a private message which includes some graphic language.

Suggestion - save the private message in the database without censoring it. Allow each member to set a preference for accepting or not accepting graphic language in PM's. If the member has set the preference to not accept the graphic language, then censor the message appropriately before displaying it to him. Otherwise, deliver the message as written.

Firstly - welcome back Rammjet! It's nice to see you on the forums again (hope you're here to stay).

Secondly - you'll have to wait until Ed (do1) comes around and sees this. To be honest, I don't see why it's a big problem (there are other things we could be spending our time on than sorting out this). However - I'll pass this thread onto Ed and see what he thinks.

- Sabr.

Hey guys

Yes, I think I agree with this too (personally I'm all for colourful language, but of course not everyone's the same!) - help me out here, does anyone know off the top of their heads if there is an option in IPB to enable/disable censorship? As I understand, currently it's just a blanket option for the whole forum? You guys are probably a bit more au fait with IPB than myself, but if you're not sure, leave it with me and I shall find out :)

-Ed