8600 GT Timescale

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Recently signed up and I've been reading around a lot on the boards, have now managed to get 10.4.10 successfully installed and triple-booting with XP and Vista on my HP Pavilion 6150.

OK, I know the 8600 GT isn't supported (I have the 512mb version). My question is, though, is it actually ever likely to be? I've got everything else sussed, and I'd really like to start using OS X properly, but the graphics are holding me back.

So I'm thinking of buying a replacement graphics card, but the wife will devour my soul if she finds out. If there's a strong possibility that the 8600 GT will work in the near-ish future, I'll hold off and hang on. If it's a total unknown and may never come to light though, then I'll take my chances :)

Please note this is in no way intended to sound like a "hurry up guys!" to those who may be working on the issue, that's not what I mean at all, but someone must know whether there's any likelihood of it happening (say) this year. If so, great - if doubtful, I'll just get a new card and some fresh underwear. I just haven't been able to find much at all here about this particular card, everything seems to be focussed on the 8800GTX, which costs half as much as my whole PC!!

Thanks...

Sorry man but it seems highly unlikely at this point. It seems as though Apple may have had plans to support the 8800 series but no plans to support any other 8600 than the mobile with EFI.

8800GTS, 8800GTX are the only two 8xxxs working right now but both 640 and 320 GTS versions work... the 320 isn't really all that expensive...

Hmm, for me it's a choice between PLN 1125.- (320 GTS), 1325.- (640 GTS), or 1725 (768 GTX).

Reckon if I'm spending that much on a graphics card anyway, it's worth the 600 extra for the best one possible.

Just got to find some way of justifying it to (or hiding it from) the missus now... !!

• 2 weeks later...
I just haven't been able to find much at all here about this particular card, everything seems to be focussed on the 8800GTX, which costs half as much as my whole PC!!

In my case, it's about the same price as my whole PC! (And this PC ain't slow, either.) The 8600 GT, along with the 2600 XT/Pro, has been the choice for affordable cards for developing countries (like where I am now). Too bad, I'm stuck with this 8600 GT - 7600 GT and 2600 XT are already "out-of-stock" here. Anything beyond them is considered as "expensive" (for most of us here, at least). Talkin' about darn luck. :censored2:

But hey, maybe there will be something that'll shed some light to this issue. All we (the non-devs) have to do is wait. :D

Suppport for 8600 is likely to become available some time, but the only problem is that we'll need 64 bit efi driver loaders, and until now, we don't have such program. But there are already some advances, since netkas already succeeds in booting his pc with a vanilla (read: standard apple) kernel. So there is hope to get the G84's (8600 series) to work. And for 8800, be sure not to buy an 8800GT, because this card is not supported, and never will be, until apple releases drivers for that card, which is unlikely to happen soon..

• 2 weeks later...