Base System install error

BYOB

10 posts in this topic

Noobie here...

I've got a G5 dual 1.8 w/1.25GB and an 80GB maxtor.

After about 5 minutes of "installing" I get a whopping great big exclamation mark and the text "Installation failed, Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer, The installer could not validate the contents of the "base system". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Click restart to restart your computer and try installing again". I have tried this a few times - no good.

Here's the problem I have moved in the past 4 months and don't have a clue as to where the original OS X DVD is. I've got a PC also and i posted a message about trying to reduce the disc size, I dunno if my drive can't handle the 8.4 DVD or what it is....

Any help greatly appreciated.

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! On a brand new 24 inch Al iMac

I even tried a different leopard disk, same problem again.

After about 6 attempts I got it to install by removing one of my ram sticks ( I think I have a bad one beacuse I get the bad ram beep at boot sometime) I also unchecked printer drivers, X11 and all languages (less stuff installed means less chance to go wrong)

ok let me continue to be stupid, where is the option for a custom install? I've already wiped out the drive. The only thing I see is that I get an option to choose what language to use. Like I said I'm a relative mac noob I use it mainly for photos and DVD authoring. so I'm coming from a windows background.OK, nevermind... I finally read and saw the "customize" button... now lets see if it works..........

well that didn't work either. however the install did go farther. before the error was popping up around 3-4 minutes into it. this time it took around 10 minutes. I did not uncheck X11, is that something I need or not?

i'm going to try the ram next. I unchecked the x11 and still nothing. Is there a utility on the dvd or anything to do a hardware check? I've never got any beep errors before, but I'm ready and willing to try anything...

everything tests out fine with the memory and the other hardware. I can re-install OX 10.3 (original shipped with) fine. I'm at that point now, but it will not let me go to 10.5, i am hating to think i've wasted this money...

i'm going to try the ram next. I unchecked the x11 and still nothing. Is there a utility on the dvd or anything to do a hardware check? I've never got any beep errors before, but I'm ready and willing to try anything...

I've found this on Google:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...81&tstart=0

They say they had to take out some RAM to install Leopard...

Maybe we need original Apple-RAMs to install Leopard... :blink:

EDIT: I have the same Problem on my Desktop-PC (listed in signature)...

EDIT2: Leopard installation works now for me. (I've removed some RAM and it worked...)

But now I've another problem: It says that "com.apple.boot.plist" couldn't be found.

Last time this error ocurred when I tried to install Tiger from a not supported IDE-controller

It looks like all necessary patches are applied.

Please help! (The controllers on my Motherboard are the ICH8R and the JMB363)