Leopard on SSE2 Howto here!

vboyz

135 posts in this topic

Congrats! I also have an Inspiron 9300 with Tiger 10.4.8 running on it and I'm looking forward to getting Leo running on it.So how did you get it to use natit? which version? I'm currently using Natit v0.2 with the dual-screen support in Tiger, will this work under Leopard?Do I need to comment out any of the postpatch.sh so that the NV drivers don't get removed?Thanks.
Sup guy...yeah I am using Natit 0.2 with dual monitor support as well and it's working with native resolution of 1900x1200 on my WUXGA screen.I didn't remove anything from the postpatch.sh.Hope this helps!!
Nice work dude... gonna try it soon.Is it possible to install it on a sata hdd?Greetz
Yep, my Dell 9300 has SATA drive in in and at first I installed it to an external 2.5" SATA USB drive for testing. After it is setup correctly, I carbon copied it over to the internal SATA HDD on my laptop. All is working well.

Thank you, this guide worked perfectly. It installed and worked cleanly on my P4 2.53 Northwood SSE2 NOT SSE3 CPU.

Works great, the only odd thing is that my PS/2 mouse wouldn't work, but a USB mouse plugged in and worked fine

My setup

2.53Ghz/1GB/40GB Seagate IDE

Radeon 9000 PRO

Realtek 8139 Ethernet

Again... it installed cleanly (actually, after doing all the image patching, it was easier to INSTALL than Tiger) AND EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT.

I haven't tried time machine yet .... i'll let you all know.

the image I am downloading is already 4.3G. So I suppose it was patched already. So where can I get a copy of mach_kernel ? Is it huge in size?Anyone can help providing it? Thanks!

After it is setup correctly, I carbon copied it over to the internal SATA HDD on my laptop. All is working well.
Hi vboyz, is it true the we cannot natively install on an internal SATA HDD at all? We can only transfer to internal SATA after the installation was down? So what program you used to carbon copied it? Can Norton Ghost do the carbon copied operation???Thanks!! :D

OK, i get to this point in trying to extract the mach_kernel

what next?

bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD
bash-3.2# ls
.DS_Store		Instructions		etc
._Instructions		Library			mach_kernel
._Optional Installs	Optional Installs	private
.fseventsd		System			sbin
.vol			Volumes			tmp
Applications		bin			usr
Install Mac OS X.app	dev			var

vboyz - i have the brazilmac's patched SL dvd - which i think is patched for SSE3 only.

I also have the kernel files for the SSE2 hack.

Can i replace the mach_kernel file of that dvd iso with the new kernel for SSE2 and get this going?

Or is it that i NEED to have the original untouched DMG first before i replace the kernel.

Your answer will save me a lot of days downloading ..

Thank you for your help.

The Orion

the image I am downloading is already 4.3G. So I suppose it was patched already. So where can I get a copy of mach_kernel ? Is it huge in size?Anyone can help providing it? Thanks!Hi vboyz, is it true the we cannot natively install on an internal SATA HDD at all? We can only transfer to internal SATA after the installation was down? So what program you used to carbon copied it? Can Norton Ghost do the carbon copied operation???Thanks!! :(

I actually tried to installed it, but didn't go all the way through, to the internal and seems to be ok. I did install to external USB just because I wanted to test it out first before I delete my Tiger install on my internal HDD.

vboyz - i have the brazilmac's patched SL dvd - which i think is patched for SSE3 only.

I also have the kernel files for the SSE2 hack.

Can i replace the mach_kernel file of that dvd iso with the new kernel for SSE2 and get this going?

Or is it that i NEED to have the original untouched DMG first before i replace the kernel.

Your answer will save me a lot of days downloading ..

Thank you for your help.

The Orion

You can replace the mach_kernel you already had with the SSE3 kernel on your SL DVD. As long as it was patched for SSE2 then you'll be ok.

ok so i did as the directions said and it keep saying read-only file system after i try to rename the mach_kernel in the .iso. I'm a little new so bear with me.

copied from terminal

Last login: Tue Oct 30 15:04:31 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

frankieps-computer:~ frankiep$ hdiutil attach -readwrite $path_to_patch_dvd -owners no

hdiutil: attach: unknown "-owners" argument

Usage: hdiutil attach [options] <image>

hdiutil attach -help

frankieps-computer:~ frankiep$ cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ x86/

frankieps-computer:/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc x86 frankiep$ mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.sse3

mv: rename mach_kernel to mach_kernel.sse3: Read-only file system

frankieps-computer:/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc x86 frankiep$

anything wrong?

ok so i did as the directions said and it keep saying read-only file system after i try to rename the mach_kernel in the .iso. I'm a little new so bear with me.

copied from terminal

Last login: Tue Oct 30 15:04:31 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

frankieps-computer:~ frankiep$ hdiutil attach -readwrite $path_to_patch_dvd -owners no

hdiutil attach -help

frankieps-computer:/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc x86 frankiep$ mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.sse3

anything wrong?

The initial command I had was wrong, please read the updated instructions again. I corrected the command.

I think this has already been asked, but I dont think anyone has answered the question.

Where can we find DSMOS.kext? I have a Tiger 10.4.8 Install and I have found AppleSMBIOS.kext, but cant for the life of me find DMOS.kext. Any ideas?

Many Thanks in Advance!

i think i already did it with the updating instructions?

nothing changed

i did it all again and this is it.

Last login: Tue Oct 30 20:06:14 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

hdiutil attach -help

frankieps-computer:/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc x86 frankie$ mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.sse3

i don't get it i keep doing it exacly like you said

or maybe i'm just doing something wrong

can you read it over

i copy and paste it so i don't think it's a typo

I think this has already been asked, but I dont think anyone has answered the question.

Where can we find DSMOS.kext? I have a Tiger 10.4.8 Install and I have found AppleSMBIOS.kext, but cant for the life of me find DMOS.kext. Any ideas?

Many Thanks in Advance!

If you have the Tiger 10.4.8 JaS SSE2/SSE3 DVD, you can mount it and open a terminal and type: "cd /Volumes/path_to_1.4.8_DVD/" and now browse around the System/Library or System/Packages to find it. I can't remember exactly where it is, because I already had Tiger installed so I just grabbed it from my tiger partition.

i think i already did it with the updating instructions?

nothing changed

i did it all again and this is it.

Last login: Tue Oct 30 20:06:14 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

hdiutil attach -help

frankieps-computer:/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc x86 frankie$ mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.sse3

i don't get it i keep doing it exacly like you said

or maybe i'm just doing something wrong

can you read it over

i copy and paste it so i don't think it's a typo

Try -owners on instead of -owners no

I actually tried to installed it, but didn't go all the way through, to the internal and seems to be ok. I did install to external USB just because I wanted to test it out first before I delete my Tiger install on my internal HDD.
Thanks for the tips! :) So how can you carbon copy the whole installed OS to other partition (on other HDD)? Can Norton Ghost do this? (HFS+ supported?) Or I should find another tools? Please teach me. Thanks!

Also! Can anyone kindly give me a copy of "untouched" mach_kernel? My installer is SL patched DVD and I can't find an "AMD patched mach_kernel" else where. Please help~ I can't wait to download another 6.7G image (the SL disc took me 3 days to download already). Thanks!

Thanks for the tips! :P So how can you carbon copy the whole installed OS to other partition (on other HDD)? Can Norton Ghost do this? (HFS+ supported?) Or I should find another tools? Please teach me. Thanks!

Also! Can anyone kindly give me a copy of "untouched" mach_kernel? My installer is SL patched DVD and I can't find an "AMD patched mach_kernel" else where. Please help~ I can't wait to download another 6.7G image (the SL disc took me 3 days to download already). Thanks!

try this one

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rthepz

If you have the Tiger 10.4.8 JaS SSE2/SSE3 DVD, you can mount it and open a terminal and type: "cd /Volumes/path_to_1.4.8_DVD/" and now browse around the System/Library or System/Packages to find it. I can't remember exactly where it is, because I already had Tiger installed so I just grabbed it from my tiger partition.

Thanks for the reply vboyz I still cant find it on either of my OSX86 discs :) If this is not allowed then I apologize but would it be possible for you to send it to me in private or upload it somewhere for download (like rapidshare) ?

Many Thanks