Clock not keeping time

kamikaze2112

7 posts in this topic

I'm running the JaS 10.4.9, and I am having problems with my clock not keeping time. I've set it to get the time automatically but that only seems to work whenever I reboot the machine or open the date and time panel in system prefs. Since I leave my machine on for weeks at a time, it ends up losing 20-30 minutes, and it's really annoying. I've tried using different time servers, but I don't really know what else to do other than reboot my computer everyday. Is there a script or something that I can have automator perform every couple of hours to update the time from an NNTP server or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm running the JaS 10.4.9, and I am having problems with my clock not keeping time. I've set it to get the time automatically but that only seems to work whenever I reboot the machine or open the date and time panel in system prefs. Since I leave my machine on for weeks at a time, it ends up losing 20-30 minutes, and it's really annoying. I've tried using different time servers, but I don't really know what else to do other than reboot my computer everyday. Is there a script or something that I can have automator perform every couple of hours to update the time from an NNTP server or am I barking up the wrong tree?
. . this thread might help.

• 7 months later...
Wiki > Tips And Tricks > # 18 Use Localtime instead of Universal for RTC.

I wrote the "Not As Clean, But Does The Job Better (Than Registry Editor Version)" guide which someone else in a thread came up with. It seems to work perfectly.

Hackintosh:~ root# date `date -u +%m%d%H%M%Y`
Wed Jun 25 03:38:00 BST 2008
Hackintosh:~ root# date -u `date +%m%d%H%M%Y`
Wed Jun 25 03:38:00 UTC 2008

So other than BST changing to UTC and back, the clock still runs slow and overnight there is over an hour difference in time.

This has started since upgrading from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what changed. The Mac clock just simply ignores the bios clock completely on 10.5.3, if I reboot into bios, I see the correct time, if I boot into Mac I also see the correct time but after an hour it is already 5 minutes behind or more.

This is not the case if viewing the clock in bios or if booting into windows or linux, in the 3 scenarios the time is kept correctly - it is also kept correctly in Leopard 10.5.2.

EDIT: Found solution! - details here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112531

• 3 months later...

Ok I think I have found the real solution to this problem. At least for me I have found the problem in the speedstep app. When I turn the speed to full on my cpu the clock keeps time perfectly. If I set it to automatic it will lose time always. If anyone else having this problem let me know if this works for you.