FCPS2 Firewire Woes

ninetto

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I am trying to run FCP6 (studio 2) on my laptop which otherwise runs all other apps quite nicely with uphuck's 10.4.9

Has anyone had the following problem/and hopefully solution?

I cannot capture from my Sony 900e via firewire. The system recognizes the camera, I can even "steer" the tape with the interface (ff/rewind/etc.) BUT whenever I try to capture, the system cues up the tape properly but aborts at the moment the capture should start, reporting "NO VIDEO DATA".

Checking other forums, it seems that even real Macs do have some firewire bugs sometimes... I have already tried the obvious: changing cables/pre-sets...

Anybody with any other ideas?

:)

I fear it might be the chipset of my firewire port: it is a generic OHCI chipset, neither TI nor VIA... has anyone tried using the express-card adapters with firewire ports, for video purposes?

Would be grateful for any tips...

regards,

ninetto

• 4 weeks later...
hello dear

please tell me which company firewire chipset on your laptop (VIA or TEXAS)

if VIA fcp can not support.

if TEXAS its work perfect for me.

buonasera mahesh_gar,

it is listed as a generic OHCI host in Everest... meaning non-branded, so without taking the laptop apart, I cannot tell the chip producer... Or I could make a long-long-distance call to the sweat-shop in Northern China...

But your remark does point in the right direction:

I want to get one of those firewire-port expresscards with TI-chip to test this suspicion out. Problem is, even on Ebay they are still a bit pricey, like 40 euros a pop!

Thanks for your message,

ninetto