Finding/altering locations where product key info is stored...

3 posts in this topic

Obviously there's a program or two that I wish to hack, but I would like to start delving into how Mac programs are put together. Specifically, I really want to crack Xtorrent open, 'cause it isn't worth whatever is being charged for it.

Other than that, I'd really like to know some more about the files that go in different application folders and PreferencePanes and stuff like that. But for right now, I would love to know how to locate product key info in a program. Any help/ideas?

I was looking at the same thing, except on nball, a shareware program that was much simpler. I know, i shouldnt steal from the little guys, but I am just doing this to figure out how. I went through the application bundle, and here is what I saw:

nball:

___contents:

______info.plist

______MacOS

_________nball (this is the executable, I tried running it from the command line and it worked fully)

______Resources

_________nball.icns (this is just a picture)

info.plist is attached, doesnt appear to hold anything important.

so, my conclusion is that nothing is stored in the folder that contains the application, or in the application itself. so, it must be in either /System/Library, /Library, or ~/Library somewhere.

any ideas?

btw they aren't going to make it easy. the best way would be to run find from terminal on teh hard drive, listing every file on your computer (come back in a few days) and then register, and try it again, and see if there are any new files by outputing each find to a different file, and then comparing the two files. i.e.:

$ find >> before.txt

(now you register)

$ find >> after.txt

$ diff before.txt after.txt

each command would take a ;) of a long time, but it should work ...

if they came back the same, that would tell you that it just modifies a file when you register, as opposed to creating a new one.

any more thoughts?

nball_plist.tiff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bikedude880
Obviously there's a program or two that I wish to hack, but I would like to start delving into how Mac programs are put together. Specifically, I really want to crack Xtorrent open, 'cause it isn't worth whatever is being charged for it.

Other than that, I'd really like to know some more about the files that go in different application folders and PreferencePanes and stuff like that. But for right now, I would love to know how to locate product key info in a program. Any help/ideas?

Most of the time a product key is stored in a plist file in ~/Library/Preferences or ~/Application Support/<Program Name>/

However, don't bother trying to crack Xtorrent, it has an MD5 hash check (or so says the people whom I worked with to try and crack it B) )