My lecturer heard me blabbering about my hackintosh!

14 posts in this topic

OK..

My Sound lecturer heard me blabbering about my hackintosh.

Now he wants in! :D

He wants to build a very cheap machine that will be compatible to hackintosh.. yet silent...

performance is not an issue...

CPU:

I'm recommending the E6750 I think, what do you say? its rather cheap...

Mobo:

What is the cheapest mobo around that supports the CPU above, and most compatible to OSX86

Video Card:

No need for performance here... what is the cheapest most compatible and passively cooled card around?

If I'll get my lecturer an OSX86 - He will spread it amongst his colleagues ;)

Edited by ArkaPro

get a gigabyte 965 ds3 / 7300gt

Thanks very much!

OK, so you recomend this Mobo?

A: will it support the CPU I mentioned (E6750)?

B: Which onboard cards will work out of the box?

C: for those who won't.. any simple installers? he is a busy man - he wont have time messing with kexts...

About the card (7300gt):

Will it work out of the box? if not which installer is the best for him?

chears man!

A) Yes, it's fully compatible with that CPU, I have that CPU in my main rig currently, and actually it's a very nice CPU. OC's very well too, usually. Checkout here for the full motherboard specifications.

:happymac: Onboard cards? Do you mean Onboard features? If so, LAN, PS/2 and USB all work out of the box, audio can be fixed by downloading the ALC833 installer from here.

C) Answered above, if I understood what you meant correctly.

As for the card, Natit Dual v02 from here should work, as should NVinject (not NVinject Go, just NVinject), or even Titan!

There are install guides for this motherboard here, and here, I thought they may be of some use.

~mac.nub

OK..

My Sound lecturer heard me blabbering about my hackintosh.

Now he wants in! :D

He wants to build a very cheap machine that will be compatible to hackintosh.. yet silent...

performance is not an issue...

CPU:

I'm recommending the E6750 I think, what do you say? its rather cheap...

Mobo:

What is the cheapest mobo around that supports the CPU above, and most compatible to OSX86

Video Card:

No need for performance here... what is the cheapest most compatible and passively cooled card around?

If I'll get my lecturer an OSX86 - He will spread it amongst his colleagues ^_^

(my emphasis) . . depending on your lecturer's definition of 'silent' you might want to take a look at this site.

Near-inaudible cooling of a C2D is easy-peasy nowadays; but to keep audibility in the low 20s dBA you will need to specify known-quiet HDD(s) such as the Samsung Spinpoint T series or WD Caviar SE16, plus a known-quiet PSU such as a Seasonic S12II or the Seasonic-made Corsair VX450W

A suitable enclosure with adequate quiet ventilation to exhaust a C2D plus a passive NV 7xxx would be the known-quiet Antec P180/P182

. . to make a quieter system than this [ie inaudible] you will need to go to full encapsulation of the HDD(s) & passive watercooling of all widgets, including the PSU. This sort of obsessive anti-noise malarkey (see signature) is not cheap - ie costs more than a new iMac to the same sort of spec.

Wow thanks for the info.

we'll take your post into consideration.

As recommended we'll take the 7300GT (passive cooled)

The only question is the Mobo.. we are talking about a tight budget.

emphasis on compatibility to osx86 - that it'll work right out of the box...

and he should fit to the Core2Due series (E6750).

chears!

Come on people what is the (low price) most compatible Mother board around!!!

Edited by ArkaPro

. . (forgot): the only DVD-burner I know of that is quiet when playing DVDs in OSX86 is a Pioneer DVR-111 - I have tried 4 other makes/models.

Re: mobos - do you want working onboard sound? [presumably not, if for pro audio work]. If you don't need sound would look at P35 mobos using DDR2, you are more likely to get sleep working with these - search the forums for firsthand reports.

Would also recommend specifying 2x or 4x sticks of plain-jane JEDEC-standard [1.8v VDIMM] PC6400 from a big-name brand - these will be cheaper & [having standard SPDs] give less hassle than 'boutique' stuff with meaningless glitzy heatspreaders, esp in 4x configurations.

Come on people what is the (low price) most compatible Mother board around!!!

The gigabyte 965p ds3 is going to be pretty much the cheapest, most OS X compatible Motherboard that you can get for use with that CPU.

And I very much doubt you are going to find anything easier to get working, everything except sound works out of the box... and for that all you have to do is run an installer... how hard is that?

The only other motherboard I can think of that's about £5 cheaper in the UK and *should* be as compatible is the Abit IP35-E... though I haven't seen any install guides for this about, plus gigabyte is a better make IMO, so personally I'd go for that... it's only £5 difference after all, and you're going to have less problems if you have any with the gigabyte board.

Personally, if I hadn't got my current board working i'd be buying the gigabyte 965p ds3 myself.

Word of advice... avoid nForce based motherboards, they are a pain in the ass to get working properly.

~mac.nub

MB: Asus P5L-MX HK$650

CPU: Intel celeron D420 HK$275 or Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz 800MHz 1MB L2 / 65nm HK$580

RAM: Kingston DDRII 667 1GB for HK$210

HD: Hitachi 320GB 16M HK$600

DVD writer HK$300

IF u can't patched "Sound" and "Network", buy USB sound from HK$40 to HK$380 and network for HK$45

Hackintosh, total HK$2035 to HK$2930(2GB ram) :P

*US$1=HK$7.8

Thanks ya'all, He is got an external Sound card (M-Box2) so we don't have to worry about the sound...

According to your posts the "gigabyte 965p ds3" is very compatible and cheap.

But don't you think its an old cheapset?

Should it bother him that it's an old generation Cheapset/Mobo?

Also its 1066mgh will it support that CPU (the specs of the CPU are 1333mhz?

What fo you say?

chears!

It's not that old a chip set, however I just checked the CPU support list, and N/A is given for that CPU, which I guess means it's not supported - at least not officially! My motherboard said it only supported up to 1066Mhz CPUs however, and it works fine with the 1333Mhz CPU... I suppose it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.... something you'll have to checkout yourself i'm afraid, maybe you could drop an email to Gigabyte support?

~mac.nub

motherboard revisions + bios updates make it possible sometimes.. my friend has been using a e6600 / old now but u might get em cheap thats a good combo aswell... have a look @ the 6450 / 6550 with the abit ip35 e as well... there

s a thread on it workin in the buying thoughs n reviews section/ read up my friend :)