Mac OS X v10.4.9 (Uphuck v1.4i r3) Installation

steelerdean

10 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Please bear with me, this is my first attempt at installing OS X on a PC (we all have to start somewhere right !!).

Using this guide:-

http://######.com/software/osxusbnative.htm

I seem to have successfully installed the above OS X on an external USB HDD. Followed the guide exactly and everything ran perfectly as the guide said it would. Only problem is, my computer won't boot from it. I've made sure the USB drive is set as the first boot device in BIOS, so it should be checking that before my normal HDD. I've even used the manual boot selection available on the POST screen but I can't seem to get it to boot from it.

Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks very much

Dean

when you say your "computer wont boot from it", do you mean the computer is booting off another drive as suppose to the USB drive, or do you mean that it's not booting from anything at all?

It just seems to be ignoring it completely and booting straight from my other internal HDD with Windows installed

Not all systems will boot from external usb drives. Have you ever been able to boot from windows with this drive.

Haven't tried anything else on it - in BIOS it is recognised and allows me to move it around in the boot sequence (even recognises the make/model of the hdd inside the caddy) so assumed if that saw it ok then would be ok to install onto.

Hi All,

Please bear with me, this is my first attempt at installing OS X on a PC (we all have to start somewhere right !!).

Using this guide:-

http://######.com/software/osxusbnative.htm

I seem to have successfully installed the above OS X on an external USB HDD. Followed the guide exactly and everything ran perfectly as the guide said it would. Only problem is, my computer won't boot from it. I've made sure the USB drive is set as the first boot device in BIOS, so it should be checking that before my normal HDD. I've even used the manual boot selection available on the POST screen but I can't seem to get it to boot from it.

Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks very much

Dean

i have WD 320Gb external drive.i have tryed yesterday but it stocks when begin formating the partition in "extended -jurnaled"...i follow all steps in your tutorial...less makeing the partition because i have my hdd allready partitionated ...

what was the problem? do u know? :D

Not all systems will boot from external usb drives. Have you ever been able to boot from windows with this drive.

OK, have now taken this a step further. Plugged the USB drive into another computer - boots into OSX without any problems from the USB drive - so no problems with the installation on the drive.

Formatted the drive and put win98 bootdisk files on there - booted fine on the problem laptop.

So, the problem seems to be with this laptop. The bios is fine booting from an external USB device, as proven using the win98 files. But when I try the OSX install, it seems to ignore it completely but the install is fine, as proven by it working in other machines.

As a final check I installed OSX straight onto the internal HDD in the laptop to see if it was just the laptop in general that didn't like OSX - and it worked fine !!!!

The laptop i'm having the problem with is:-

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1818

Intel core2duo T5300 1.73ghz

2gig RAM

160gb sata HDD

• 2 weeks later...