Cannot mount DMG files

lancorp

6 posts in this topic

I managed to screw up my working audio on my E1705, that had subwoofer support working just fine, by installing the latest Apple 10.4.10 audio update. I hoped it would fix the non-working mute button (which showed it was muting, but my sound would not mute).

Stupid me.

I reran the AppleHDA patcher with the Stac9200 file and got audio working again. But no subwoofer.

So, I got tbcarey's 10.4.10 fix and attempted to install it. Problem is, I cannot mount the DMG file in it, nor any DMG files.

In console, I see:

load_hdi: timed out waiting for driver to load

2007-10-07 08:46:19.445 diskimages-helper[319] ERROR: unable to load disk image driver - 0xE00002C0/-536870208 - Device not configured.

Any ideas what happened? How to go about troubleshooting and/or fixing?

Thanks!

I managed to figure out the problem, but not the solution.

For some reason, the extension IOHDIXController.kext is not autoloading.

If I use kextload to load it, I can then mount DMG files.

Can someone please help me to configure that extension to autoload?

(and what would make it stop autoloading in the first place?)

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the link. I do have a mismatch with my kernel version and system.kext.

My kernel is 8.9.1 but my system.kext 8.10.1. (I install the Uphuck 10.4.9 with updates to 10.4.10 and patches as required for my Dell E1705).

I am running 10.4.10, so which kernel should I have? How do I update it? (sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't eat,live and breath OS X!) :wacko:

Make sure you have either dmos.kext or r3d3.kext installed in your /System/Library/Extensions folder! - If you do not have this file, do not follow the instructions as the kernel will NOT work unless one of these files is installed!

Provided you follow these instructions correctly you should habe no problems what so ever!

I can not provide you with either of these files, so you will have to find them elsewhere and install them correctly. Provided/after you have one of the above files installed follow instructions as below...

Firstly back up your kernel... to do this open console and type the following:

sudo cp -R /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.bak

It will ask you to enter your password, do so, this will back up your current (8.9.1 kernel)... then if need be, you can boot using that kernel (when mac starts, use the advanced boot options, and type mach_kernel.bak - it will then load OS X using that kernel - don't do this unless the system won't boot with the 8.10.3 kernel)

Grab the OS X 10.4.10 - 8.10.3 kernel from IRC, you can grab it from irc.osx86.hu - channel #10.4.10 I believe - the 10.4.10 channel then has the 8.10.3 kernel package download, click the link and download the file, extract it to your desktop.

Now, the problem is, this zip file has a broken System.kext - if you right click it, it doesn't show the version etc. so simply download the fixed version of this from the downloads section of my website - http://www.macdotnub.info

Make sure mach_kernel and System.kext are on your desktop, not in a folder on your desktop, if they are, move them to your desktop!

Delete the System.kext provided in the package you got from IRC, extract the one from my zip file to your desktop.

Create a folder called "Backups" (if it does not already exist) in the root of your drive.

Using finder, browse to /System/Library/Extensions, and copy your current System.kext to the Backups directory you created.

Then, delete System.kext from your /System/Library/Extensions folder, you will be asked to enter your admin password to do this.

Finally, open Terminal and type the following commands:

sudo rm -R /mach_kernel
cd Desktop
sudo cp -R ./mach_kernel /mach_kernel

Open disk utility, repair permissions, reboot...

Provided you did everything correctly you will now be the using the 8.10.3 kernel! - If you wish to confirm this, open terminal and type:

uname -a

You will then see text like this:

Darwin OSx86-Inspiron.local 8.10.3 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.3: Wed Jun 27 23:29:36 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.23.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Confirm that the "Darwin Kernel Version" is 8.10.3, if it is, you did everything correctly!

~mac.nub

Thanks for the link. I do have a mismatch with my kernel version and system.kext.

My kernel is 8.9.1 but my system.kext 8.10.1. (I install the Uphuck 10.4.9 with updates to 10.4.10 and patches as required for my Dell E1705).

I am running 10.4.10, so which kernel should I have? How do I update it? (sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't eat,live and breath OS X!) :rolleyes:

There are 2 things you can do:

Replace System.kext with a 8.9.1 version

Replace the kernel with a 8.10.1 version

I personally think replacing System.kext is easier because the 8.9.1 kernel is more stable than 8.10.1.