Trouble with HD partitions

kombucha

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm having some partitioning issues when trying to install OSX86. So far I've tried two versions of 10.4.9, and neither is working.

It starts up the installer, then asks me what volume to install to. Nothing is listed, so I open up Disk Utility.

I see all of my partitions (NTFS for Windows, ext3 and a swapfor Fedora, and FAT32 for the soon-to-be-OSX installation) and choose the FAT32 one, /dev/disk0s3. I attempt to reformat it to FAT32 and then to HFS+, but it doesn't work. I can't really tell if the FAT32 formatting is working, but after I try HFS+, Disk Utility still reports it as being FAT32. To make matters worse, after every time I try HFS+ (but not before!) and then verify, I get "Invalid BS_jmpBoot in block: 000000".

So it seems as though the HFS+ formatting system is not working too well.

I also tried formatting it to HFS+ within Linux, where I was successful (gParted lists it as HFS+), but it still shows up as FAT32 within OS X's Disk Utility.

Any ideas on how I can install this to that partition?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm having some partitioning issues when trying to install OSX86. So far I've tried two versions of 10.4.9, and neither is working.

It starts up the installer, then asks me what volume to install to. Nothing is listed, so I open up Disk Utility.

I see all of my partitions (NTFS for Windows, ext3 and a swapfor Fedora, and FAT32 for the soon-to-be-OSX installation) and choose the FAT32 one, /dev/disk0s3. I attempt to reformat it to FAT32 and then to HFS+, but it doesn't work. I can't really tell if the FAT32 formatting is working, but after I try HFS+, Disk Utility still reports it as being FAT32. To make matters worse, after every time I try HFS+ (but not before!) and then verify, I get "Invalid BS_jmpBoot in block: 000000".

So it seems as though the HFS+ formatting system is not working too well.

I also tried formatting it to HFS+ within Linux, where I was successful (gParted lists it as HFS+), but it still shows up as FAT32 within OS X's Disk Utility.

Any ideas on how I can install this to that partition?

Thanks.

. . . which of these partitions are primary, & which extended?

Technically you don't need a swap partition. Depends on the install ops.
. . yup: was curious re: OP's mathematics [XP+Fedora+Swap+OSX=4, not 3 as stated] . . suspect the Linux install is to some form of extended partition, & of course OSX won't install above such a thing.