New to Mac and very confused. Getting started, how?

rodluvan

78 posts in this topic

i would reconmmend buying this book: Mac OS X: The Missing Manual by David Pogue. Its there to help anyone get used to a mac. YOu can also download it at the usual places.

Welcome to the mac world. You will never regret your decision and you will never go back to windows ever again.

Tried

What about this then (which I wrote above, but I think got lost in another message):

"When trying to download a torrent the torrent managet Transmission says "Error: insufficient permissions". Is this maybe some feature in Mac which denies programs from writing to disk without specific permission?"

Never mind, I'm doing it the hard way; Copying the files from the PC-external HD to 4GB SD-cards :(

I guss it'l save me some time in the long run anyway.

Thanks for all you help anyway! Ill be back :censored2:

I do not use torrents, so unfortunately no :( You could try that other site I posted a link for yesterday. They might know something about it.

Ok, thanx, I will! Acctually, I've already posted a question there. Coincidently, what's the focus of this site (since it's not technical questions)?

Do you have any idea about the problem I'm having with Transmissions (the torrent-tracker). "Insufficient Permissions"?

Ok, it's fixed. I deleted transmissions and installed it again.

One question though; When I reinstalled it it 'remembered' what I was downloading before I deleted the program and to which folders, this makes me believe it wasn't really deleted in the first place or that some residue-information was left on the HD. This annoys me! How do I delete a program from Mac? I thought it was just to delete the program file (which I in this case had put in the Applications-folder.

Speaking of idiots... :hysterical:

Of course anyone with a high school diploma and a little bit of common sense knows that this is not true, yet this distorted, exaggerated, and sensationalized rhetoric about 'market share' gets repeated over and over again by misinformed computer users, and is now officially an urban myth. The main reason why Macs aren't susceptible to viruses has NOTHING to do with their market share :hysterical: I've already covered in this forum why Macs aren't susceptible to getting viruses so I won't continue to repeat myself, but I will ask you a couple of simple questions to prove that it has NOTHING to do with market share, but first a little history;

• There was a thriving virus scene for DOS in the 1980s & early 1990s, even though there was only a small fraction as many people using DOS as people using windows today. How could this be? It certainly had NOTHING to do with the small size of the DOS community back in the 80's.
  • Mac Systems had roughly 1/10th of the PC market in the 1980s - which means a fraction of the number of installed Mac's of today, and a vanishingly small number compared to the Windows computers today - Yet viruses still came out for Mac Systems back then. Why? It certainly had NOTHING to do with the small size of the Mac Systems community back in the 80's.
  • Virus writers are still writing the occasional virus for AmigaDOS! Now ask yourself, how many people do you know that use AmigaDOS today? Yet viruses are still being released for it. With such a insignificantly minuscule small market share of the AmigaDOS, why would there still be viruses written for it if 'market share' was of any importants? It isn't, and it certainly has NOTHING to do with the small size of the AmigaDOS community.

There are many more examples of where OS's with small market size were getting plenty of viruses - so obviously the market share argument isn't all it's cracked up to be! Consider this, Virus writers write viruses that exploit ANY vulnerability that they can find, regardless of the popularity or size of the platform. For example, the "whizzer worm" is a complex and sophisticated virus designed to infect a computer by exploiting an obscure flaw in one particular version - of one particular company's software firewall program. The total number of people in the whole entire world who used this version of this program was ONLY around 50,000. Yet the virus writers still took the time, found and exploited that flaw. Why? Well... because they could!

I think we can all agree that infinitesimally 50,000 users is a far, far smaller number than the number of people who buy a Mac every month for the last several years. The point is that virus writers write WHERE-EVER they can find a vulnerability. They do not care about it's market share. They do not care about the platform. They do not care about it's size. They only care about the vulnerabilities that they know they can exploit. Rule number one: an operating system can only be as secure as it's framework allows it to be. Apple understood this from the beginning. Microsoft does not.

1. yes, if you hadn't cherry picked a sentence from my reply, the quote would reflect that i was acknowledging the structure of the OS has a lot to do with it too.

2. yes apple know that the structure of the OS plays an important role in relation to susceptibility to viruses, so they took core components of BSD, a notoriously secure system, and then try to take credit for it, supported by protoges like you.

3. how are people going to write viruses for a platform that you need to pay $1000 plus to get access to? (well at least until recently)

4. Many windows viruses are replicas / mutants edited by script kiddies

5. many virus writing tutorials cover windows more so than other systems. also, kits to develop viruses for Windows, without any programming knowledge

5. Month of apple bugs.

1. yes, if you hadn't cherry picked a sentence from my reply, the quote would reflect that i was acknowledging the structure of the OS has a lot to do with it too.

Cherry Picked? What are you smoking? :D No where in your statement did you mention about structure. This is what you said, and I quote:

macs can get viruses, but since the market share of mac users is so small, the vast majority of viruses affect windows.

Show us where in that sentence you mentioned anything about structure. I'll even go easy on you (because that's the kind of guy that I am) and ask you to show us anywhere in your entire post where you used the word 'structure' ;) Maybe 'technically' a Mac can get a virus, but certainly not practically. If they could write them for Tiger they would have already. They will write a virus for ANY vulnerability that they can FIND. If they can't find one, they will just move on. Leopard may be a whole new ballgame and I'm sure that they will be looking at each line of code that it uses.

they took core components of BSD, a notoriously secure system, and then try to take credit for it

LOL :D You got a link for where they made this mystical statement that only you seem to hear in your head? :P

"OS X is a Unix OS built on technology that had been developed at NeXT through the second half of the 1980s until Apple purchased the company in early 1997." Guess who started NeXT? That's right, Steve Jobs. Ring any bells? LOL :D

Parts of NeXT's software were later used as the foundation for Mac OS X. Of course they are going to base their OS on the BEST that they can find. Why wouldn't they? If microsoft would have done the same common sense thing then you wouldn't be whinning now ;)

Many windows viruses are replicas / mutants edited by script kiddies

And many are not. Viruses are BIG business, especially in places like Russia. You're at least 5 years behind the curve.

thank you for proving my point. i love how you just ignore things I say. nothing can persuade you because you are obviously biased.

however, for a mac program to do any real damage, you will be first prompted to type your password before an application can make potentially damaging changes to your system (unlike Win XP etc), so this adds a level of security.

I didn't use the word structure. "show use here you used the word structure". i may not have used that exact word but the point is the same, it is relating to the structure of the os: the fact that only root user or sudoer has potential to do real damage. this is unix concept,, carried over via BSD. the guy asking the question is new to mac os, i am hardly going to start explaining about root account, sudo etc. my point is relating to the structure of the system even though i didn't use that word.

technically, practically, whatever. mac's can get viruses. end of argument.

you ignore my point about needing to pay 1000 dollars plus to get access to OS X until the intel transition. things might change now.

NeXt was based on BSD. no disputing this. i commend apple for this choice. but Berkeley deserve credit too.

many viruses are mutants. you say many are not. brilliant argument. you really disproved my point that mutants add to the number of threats.

my original post was unbiased. you're is completely biased. you even sneak in a stab at microsoft. don't get me wrong i used every os i can get my hands on. but i do not buy into this {censored} that macs are so secure and virus free.

i love how you just ignore things I say.

Well you know, it's all about the love :D

I didn't use the word structure.

We noticed. Unfortunately for you we ALSO noticed where you said:

"the quote would reflect that i was acknowledging the structure of the OS has a lot to do with it"

So which is it? You seem to be waffling. Were you talking about 'structure' or not? And if you were, then point out where exactly you were doing it. Thanks, appreciate it :rolleyes:

i may not have used that exact word but the point is the same

Oh, so you're trying to now say that 'market share' and 'structure' are the same? Weird.

technically, practically, whatever. mac's can get viruses. end of argument.

Earth to Dr. Evil, your bank called. Seems your check didn't clear. LOL :D

NeXt was based on BSD.

Close but no cigar. NeXT was based on Mach. Mach was a replacement for the kernel in the BSD version of Unix. Big difference ;)

my original post was unbiased.

Congratulations, it was also completely wrong.

well at least you seem to have a sense of humor....either that or a god complex (often found in smug mac users who think they are immune to certain aspects of technology, lol)

anyway, let's take one point at a time....

In my first post on the topic of viruses, I said

however, for a mac program to do any real damage, you will be first prompted to type your password before an application can make potentially damaging changes to your system (unlike Win XP etc), so this adds a level of security.

the above quote is what i claimed was related to the structure of the OS, not the market share statement.

elaborating on this in a subsequent post, I said

only root user or sudoer has potential to do real damage.

you claim I made no reference to the structure of the OS. please defend your statement.

eagerly awaiting your reply good sir.

In my first post on the topic of viruses, I said...

That's not what the issue was about. The issue was that you claimed that Macs don't get viruses because they have a smaller market share. This is not true, and THAT'S all I was addressing :)

Now, as to your new point, password and structure are not the same. Structure refers to foundation, which I would agree that Macs are more secure because of their foundation or 'structure' (in that sense). The fact that the user needs to enter in a password is more along the lines of the user interacting with the interface than anything. It is one feature among thousands. It is not at the core of the foundation and certainly not something that I would be bringing up with a Mac newbee as the OP is. I was just concerned about the 'market share' myth getting spread any further than it already is, that's all :P

now you are back pedaling a little i see, not quite as verbal as before. please, continue to imply people such as myself are "idiots", and educate us, we need it professor.

That's not what the issue was about. The issue was that you claimed that Macs don't get viruses because they have a smaller market share. This is not true, and THAT'S all I was addressing

and that is ALL you quoted me on. when I corrected you, noting that I ALSO mentioned structure in first post, you accused me of waffling, saying "market share or structure, which is it?"

I believe that market share is ONE of the reasons. another reason is the structure, as i mentioned in the part about having to type your password in the GUI, use sudo at command line etc.

Now, you claim typing your password is nothing to do with the structure....

The fact that the user needs to enter in a password is more along the lines of the user interacting with the interface than anything.

no, as i said already, it is the concept that root user has full control of the system, and therefore potential to do damage. ordinary users do not. this is called user and group hierarchy. look up hierarchy in the thesaurus, i'm sure you'll find that structure is a synonym for hierarchy.

i acknowledged the structure of the OS in my very first post, and repeatedly explained how typing your password is related to structure of OS. please, feel free to continue to dispute this. it will delay the discussion of your BSD comments. i can't wait for that bit. you are digging yourself deeper man.

i invite you to move onto the next point when this one is closed or agreed upon.

now you are back pedaling

LOL :D No one but you is back peddling. The ORIGINAL post where I responded to you talked about one thing, your myth about market share. Fact.

I believe that market share is ONE of the reasons.

See, now THAT'S back peddling :D Before you said it was the only reason. Lions and tigers and bears... oh my :wacko::D

it is the concept that root user has full control of the system

No one is disagreeing with that. However that has nothing to do with market share or the foundation of the OS.

i acknowledged the structure of the OS in my very first post

Maybe in your mind, but others here are not psychic. We can only go on what you actually said, and the term 'structure' or 'foundation' was never used. You can try to weasel out of it by saying that you 'meant' to say this or that, or that you 'implied' this or that till the cows come home, but you never did, and we're not here to play "the leg bone's connected to the hip bone - the hip bone's connected to the back bone..." Deal with it :D

here is what i said in my original post:

macs can get viruses, but since the market share of mac users is so small, the vast majority of viruses affect windows. recently, there was what was called by some the first mac virus (called 'Leap' something i think), which propogated via ichat. however, for a mac program to do any real damage, you will be first prompted to type your password before an application can make potentially damaging changes to your system (unlike Win XP etc), so this adds a level of security.

and in response to this you just said

The ORIGINAL post where I responded to you talked about one thing, your myth about market share. Fact.

now, look at the quote of my post above. I make two points.

1. market share

2. having to type your password.

I have explained this repeatedly, but you keep dismissing it, and pretending not to understand, so that you will not have to admit you jumped the gun and were wrong.

just in case you can demarcate the two points from the post above, once again, let me do it for you.

first point (market share):

since the market share of mac users is so small, the vast majority of viruses affect windows

second point (OS structure)

for a mac program to do any real damage, you will be first prompted to type your password before an application can make potentially damaging changes to your system (unlike Win XP etc), so this adds a level of security.

talking about market share, you said

Before you said it was the only reason

you repeatedly deny that i talked about structure in my first post

Show us where in that sentence you mentioned anything about structure

i have clearly answered this question several times.

about root user having full control, which means you need to sudo:

No one is disagreeing with that. However that has nothing to do with market share or the foundation of the OS.

i know it has nothing to do with market share. but it has something to do with the foundation, or structure, or whatever you want to clasify UNIX root user philosophy as. you are disagreeing with it,

About me mentioning structure in my first post

Maybe in your mind, but others here are not psychic. We can only go on what you actually said, and the term 'structure' or 'foundation' was never used

the word "structure" has become the foundation of your argument (no pun intended).

so what if i didn't use the word "structure". that word only came up after your post responding to my post. it doesn't take away the fact that

1. market share was not all i mentioned

2. i mentioned typing your password, which is inherently linked to the structure of the OS, not "along the lines of the user interacting with the interface than anything. It is one feature among thousands."

sucks to be wrong, i know, but the sooner you can accept it and move on the better, it shows character.

Not much of a debater are you? Please allow me to explain some of the fundamentals. If a person was to say "1+1=3 and 2+2=4" and somone was to correct them about the 1+1=3 part and NOT the 2+2=4 part, do you think there is a chance that maybe, just maybe, it's because they are only addressing what was wrong in their statement, and not the entire statement? :)

I didn't debate you about the password part in the original post because I did NOT disagree with it. I was only correcting where you repeated the market share myth. Can you not at least comprehend that much? :unsure:

i mentioned typing your password, which is inherently linked to the structure of the OS

No, you mentioned about the password BUT it has NOTHING to do with the foundation of the OS. Big difference! You could remove the password feature and the OS would work the same. It's an important FEATURE of the OS, I agree, and one that makes a big difference in security, but it is no more and no less than a FEATURE. It is not at the core of the foundation of the OS. You're whole argument is to try to blur the lines and to trick people into thinking that because it's such an important security feature that it's part of the core, but it's NOT. So again, you did mention about the password BUT it has nothing to do with the foundation of the OS. You are making a straw man argument. Sorry, but that dog don't hunt ;)

i am not going to repeat myself anymore. anyone reading this thread will have enough intelligence to decide for themselves.

You think typing your password is more along the lines of interacting with the GUI, simply a feature. I think it is related to the concept of root user in unix environment, which i argue is related to the structure of the OS. let's agree to disagree.

You think market share has nothing to do with there being virtually no viruses on Mac OS X? Correct?

i am not going to repeat myself anymore.

I'm sure the sites server appreciates that :angel:

anyone reading this thread will have enough intelligence to decide for themselves.

Not worried about everyone else. I'm sure they do have enough intelligence to understand the fundamentals of this topic. It's Dr. Evil that I'm concerned about. A little common sense goes a long way.

You think typing your password is more along the lines of interacting with the GUI, simply a feature. I think it is related to the concept of root user in unix environment, which i argue is related to the structure of the OS.

If what you said was true, then removing or turning off the password feature would stop the rest of the operating system from working. It does NOT. Let's examine your word 'structure' to see why. Everyone knows that you can build a house with good grade wood and it will be secure. That's it's fundamental structure, its foundation. If you were to build the same house out of balsa wood it would weaken it's structure and possibly collapse with the first strong wind that came along. That's because you are removing a key element of a strong structure - the high grade wood. The same analogy applies to all structures. Remove something fundamental and it will collapse or stop working. You can remove or turn off the password feature of the OS and the OS will still keep working. Hense, it cannot be part of its fundimental structure. The only thing that you will weaken is whatever that particular feature represents, in this case it's security (password=security). I don't know how to explain this in any more basic terms. If you don't get it, then you never will.

let's agree to disagree.

For you and me that's fine. For everyone else I'm sure they actually already understand what I was talking about above.

You think market share has nothing to do with there being virtually no viruses on Mac OS X? Correct?

Why do you insist on playing these parlor games? It's not a 'all or nothing' kind of thing. Even if it was you would STILL be wrong because your original statement is already in the history books and has been disproven. Give it a rest. Sucks to be wrong, I know, but the sooner you accept it and move on the better, it shows character ;) There are simply too many variables to consider and it cannot be a 'all or nothing' kind of thing. It's going to be different for each country because each country has a different level of being corrupt.

as i said, not going to try to convince you of anything. you have already exposed your ignorance in your statements to date.now, write one final childish reply, and we'll call it a day.rod,I am not a mac guy, trust me. just read maddox's homepage, the entry about macs. but i do love playing with different operating systems, particularly *nix. how's your new system treating you anyway?