Dell M90 (T660, NVidia 2500M, 4GB RAM)

wf9

16 posts in this topic

Here are specs for my laptop:

Dell Precision M90

Intel Dual Core, 2.16 Ghz.

4gb of ram

Nvidia quadro fx 2500m 512mb

I think that's all you need to know to tell me whether or not I will be able to install Kalyway's or koolkal's 10.4.10 dvd?

I don't care about sound atm, running through an external interface.

I have read about problems using the nvidia 2500m card, that only 256 mb shows up. I don't have a problem with that as long as I get a proper resolution. So my question is:

will I get proper resolution (1920x1200) after installing? Or will I need to flash the BIOS?

if the answer is flash the bios, then what risks are there, I googled it and many people said it was risky, so i'm not sure if i want to try it.

Thank you.

so you think this is the only option?

I checked the thread and no one followed up on the BIOS flash.

what will happen if I don't flash my bios?

will I still be able to use full resolution/quality?

so you think this is the only option?

I checked the thread and no one followed up on the BIOS flash.

what will happen if I don't flash my bios?

will I still be able to use full resolution/quality?

natit is included in uphuck dvd's, i know that much. as far as working correctly, youll probably get resolution change, but no qe or ci. and if you get a black screen after startup, try deleteing this: /system/library/extensions/geforceGA.kext. without that, though, you should be able to boot ok but you wont have graphics acceleration.

now, about flashing, i dont have any knowledge to give to you about flashing, i dont have any experience with it myself. although ive heard that its easy, you might not want to risk your card, because if the flash fails, youre done for.

hope that helps.

Cheers, osx86rocks & pcwiz

I don't think I will flash it, too risky I agree.

What do you mean by Graphics Acceleration?

I checked out QE/CI and this means that without flashing the ROM I won't be able to enable it, but will I be able to receive a clear, sharp image, with full 1920x1200 resolution?

Thanks again.

Cheers, osx86rocks & pcwiz

I don't think I will flash it, too risky I agree.

What do you mean by Graphics Acceleration?

I checked out QE/CI and this means that without flashing the ROM I won't be able to enable it, but will I be able to receive a clear, sharp image, with full 1920x1200 resolution?

Thanks again.

Without QE/CI, or just drivers in general the screensaver won't load very good it will lag a lot, you won't be able to do do anything graphics related (ie. games, frontrow, anything related). And overall you'll get a huge performance jump for everything else with QE/CI, you need it! :P

There is no other way. You have to flash the ROM but two things: I don't know where you can find a patched ROM and I don't know much about the procedure, although I do know that it involves using a DOS utility called nvflash. I read that post by nixblicker and apparently the info and patched ROM file for your card is at www.macvidia.com, which is currently down and has been down for a while.

So I guess you're gonna have to wait for MacVidia to get back and running to be able to use QE/CI :P

welllll....... just yes or no - will I get good enough quality to use Logic without qe/ci enabled?

in theory, it should work enough to be usable, since you have a pretty good processor and lots of RAM. but i can't say for certain. im actually looking into flashing my card right now, and if i do flash it, i'll tell you how it goes.