Front ROW issues

JeffHoi

15 posts in this topic

First off, I'm a recent switcher so I might not be as knowledgeable of mac yet.

I'm a big fan of the front row in Tiger and now, that I've installed Leopard(beta, the latest one, can't remember.. 9a5 something...) into my Macbook, One of the first things I used was, of course the "new and improved" Front Row. However,

There are several issues with my Front Row that I need help with. I know Leopard is still in beta but the front row has gotta at least be working decently. Right?

Anyways,

1. Front Row language/ itunes store choice. I know for the US, you guys get the itunes Top music, top music video, top tv show and all that. I live in Canada and for some reason, my Leopard decided that I'm Japanese? All my top music stuff is in Japanese. AND I HAVE NO idea how to change it. I made a new user and it is in English but it has no top tv shows and stuff(US) so I'm guessing, Leopard made that user a Canadian. Then, I experimented more with more users and found that Leopard randomly chooses a default itunes store for the front row. If I could find where front row reference the store and change it, would be great but I'm not sure where it is located. The Front Row app can be found in System/Library/Coreservices... or something like that.

2. Audio CD. I put in a CD, I CAN'T PLAY IT IN FRONT ROW!!! WHAT??!!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.. oh but it is.. I couldn't believe it myself...

3. Volume control for music.. Okay this is just plain weird. I have volume control for my movies... I have volume control for my slideshows... BUT WHY NOT the MUSIC section??? I can't use my remote to control the volume for my playing music in Front Row.

4. Movies folder. Is there a way we can clip cover art for the movies in the movie folder so it looks all pretty and "coverflow" like in front row?

5. Since audio CD didn't work, I'm afraid to test DVD. I'm not sure if it works.. will test it soon.

6. The invisible podcast. Sometimes, randomly when I look into my podcast directory, they can appear missing, well not really.. you can still scroll to them, but you can see them.. like there is no text to tell you which podcast is highlighted before you proceed. Weird glitch..

Thats about it, besides that its great but I think this Front Row should not be released yet until all these issues are fixed!.. If anyone knows of any solution to any of my issues please, don't hesitate to say something.

Peace.

1. Front Row language/ itunes store choice. I know for the US, you guys get the itunes Top music, top music video, top tv show and all that. I live in Canada and for some reason, my Leopard decided that I'm Japanese? All my top music stuff is in Japanese. AND I HAVE NO idea how to change it. I made a new user and it is in English but it has no top tv shows and stuff(US) so I'm guessing, Leopard made that user a Canadian. Then, I experimented more with more users and found that Leopard randomly chooses a default itunes store for the front row. If I could find where front row reference the store and change it, would be great but I'm not sure where it is located. The Front Row app can be found in System/Library/Coreservices... or something like that.

Proposed solution. Open iTunes, and select "store". At the bottom, there is a drop down menu.

2. Audio CD. I put in a CD, I CAN'T PLAY IT IN FRONT ROW!!! WHAT??!!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.. oh but it is.. I couldn't believe it myself...

For me, Audio CD works great... just let the disc mount, open FR, and select Music. It will appear at the top. Unlike DVD, which appears on the main menu, audio CDs only show up in "Music". For consistency's sake, Apple should have stuck DVD into the Movies menu. (I think)

3. Volume control for music.. Okay this is just plain weird. I have volume control for my movies... I have volume control for my slideshows... BUT WHY NOT the MUSIC section??? I can't use my remote to control the volume for my playing music in Front Row.

Volume control works fine for music.

4. Movies folder. Is there a way we can clip cover art for the movies in the movie folder so it looks all pretty and "coverflow" like in front row?

No. This is because Front Row gets it's picture data from iTunes. If it's not in iTunes, no art. Sorry.

5. Since audio CD didn't work, I'm afraid to test DVD. I'm not sure if it works.. will test it soon.

DVD works great. Just pop in a DVD and it will appear above Movies as the first option.

6. The invisible podcast. Sometimes, randomly when I look into my podcast directory, they can appear missing, well not really.. you can still scroll to them, but you can see them.. like there is no text to tell you which podcast is highlighted before you proceed. Weird glitch..

definitely a bug.

Thats about it, besides that its great but I think this Front Row should not be released yet until all these issues are fixed!.. If anyone knows of any solution to any of my issues please, don't hesitate to say something.

If you're using 9A527/528d: these issues might occur. Upgrade to 9A559. Check which version you have by going to "about this mac", and then clicking on "10.5".

Hope this helps!

Sorry for the double post, but this deserves it own.

iTunes 7.4 now supports adding album art to ANY movie ending with mp4, m4v, or mov.

So, yes you can add album art to your AVI or MKV movies by saving them as QT Refs, and then adding them to iTunes. This is wonderful! (I think it's new in iTunes 7.4, not specifically Leopard).

I've just checked, I'm not using the 9a559 build. It was the other build you mentioned. So if I download the 9a559 build, can I just do an upgrade install over my current build?

Also, I've tried changing the avi movies into QT references but it doesn't add to itunes for some reason. :D so.. boo on the cover art for avi movies.

Um... Itunes store.. Yes.. I've changed it a couple times but it still doesn't affect Front Row in any way.. like.. Front Row has its own itunes store setting or something... :| I did almost everything I could think of to change the store.. but failed... :(

the audio CD... STill doesn't work. I can see it as an option but when I click play on remote or enter on the Macbook, it doesn't proceed. and I still can't control the volume when I'm playing music using the remote... but I'm able to.. without the remote...

DVD Works!!.. Hooray!!!

Cheers

Yes, *find* the 9A559 (someone tossed it overboard) and do an archive & install over your current system. All apps and files will copy over, and most of your problems will be solved!

Before 9A559 FR was incredibly buggy. It's now just slightly buggy :huh:

I HATE the new way of scrubbing back and forth still. Aaaaah.

And still no UI sounds.

I find it pretty good, actually. However, the scrubbing does take some getting used to.

And to turn on UI sounds? Just go to the settings menu!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the insanelymac forum People,

I have Leopard.. 9a559... -_-:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Its AWESOME!!!!... I love it.. love it.. Love it...

The front row is great and I can now enjoy my music, pictures, podcasts, movies.. and its really responsive and fast and stable...

thank you for letting me know there was another beta build otherwise.. I don't think I was going to purchase Leopard. BUt now. I like Leopard a lot. I wouldn't say its "better" than windows... but its different.. Great stuff people.. I've got to enjoy some music now.. (with volume control.. can I get a HooRAH?)....

p.s: my itunes store thing doesnt show up. maybe I need to restart the com..

Hi,

my remote control doesn't seem to work in Leopard. It works fine just with iTunes, and I can even use the MENU button to start FR, but once I'm in FR I'm stuck. I can navigate with my keyboard but the IR just bricks like an unlocked iPhone.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Super

9A559, 1.83 Intel Core Duo, 1.5 GB

well i've the impression that the problem with IR and FR is something like buttons are not correctly assigned...maybe localization...just my impression. ok to clarify:

Did an upgrade from 10.4.10

language: german

System: imac 17'', 1.83 Core duo (early 2006) 2GB, ATI

remote works great for me.. trailers and all are good.. but I think they took out the itunes top stuff things in this beta build (9a559).. like top movies.. top tv shows.. top songs.. top music vid... I thought that would be a pretty cool addition to FR but all in all.. its still great because I am navigate through my media in a very slick and stylish way..

Still want that cover art option for my avi movies though.. :( .. oh well..