Mac install complete- how do I make a restorable?

batcavenet

4 posts in this topic

Now that I did workaround to fix my net card, fix my monitor and video card etc- I have everything working pretty well.

I want to make restore CDs or DVD since my install is only about 3 gigs in total and I have a DVD burner.

Is there a way to make a restore DVD that I could boot off of and restore the whole machine back to this state in case I install an update or do something that totally messes up the install?

Thanks

Not saying it's impossible to create a restore DVD, but not probable. For an image as small as yours, why not just use the disk utility on your install disk to make the image file and store it on a FAT32 partition (as long as it stays under 4gb) or another HFS+ partition if you have one? That should work fine.

Possible restore method:

Use CopyCatX or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of your HD and burn it onto a DVD. Then install OS X on a USB Flash Drive and install the necessary restore program to restore from the image. If something happens, boot using the USB Flash Drive, pop in the DVD, and restore the image.

My method of restoration:

I use Acronis True Image for Windows to make a HD image of my OS X drive and then restore it if something goes wrong. MacDrive for Windows may be required for Windows to recognize your OS X drive.