Build 8R3032

zeebe

7 posts in this topic

I run a mac lab at a school, and the teachers have iMacs/eMacs on their desks. I use Remote Desktop to control things, and I noticed something weird on a new iMac we just received. It is an Intel 17" 1.83 GHz model, but it says it is running Build 8R3032 of 10.4.10. I did a search here, but didn't find anything. Does anyone know why this is different. We have about 10 of the same iMacs in teachers/staff rooms, but they all say Build 8R2232, and there is no way to upgrade these. Below are two pictures of about this Mac I took via Remote Desktop (that is why they are black and white). I have NOT done any photoshopping on these pictures.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Any ideas what is going on???

Here is the list of computers in Remote Desktop

remotedesktop.png

You will notice, RD says they are running 10.4.9, that is an error you can read about here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305815

Thanks

I know there are different build numbers for Intel and PPC, if you look on the list, you will see eMacs and iMacs, and a G4. The eMacs are of course PPC, and the iMacs are Intel. One Intel has a different build number. Now the newer machine is NOT a newer iMac. It is the old white style, Apple still sells them to educators. We do NOT have any new iMac machines (the silver look) in our school, they are all the white style, and they all are 1.83 GHz Intels.

OK, got an answer on a different board! Go here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303315

(look at the 6th computer down on the list)

Looks like this is a machine specific, and is only on NEW computers, not computers that are updated, that gives the other 8R2232 build (Software Update).

Kind of weird I guess. I mean what could be SOOO different that it needs a different build number.