can't startup

Kdubz

16 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has been posted before or not. but basically i put a whole bunch of files on my mac partition and now i can't boot to it.....(stupid me) i tried booting natively and virtually. Is there anyway i can get those files off so I can boot? Is it even the fact that I only left 120 MB on the partition? or is there some underlying problem to it?

Can anyone help me out?

please!

Try this:

When OS X starts loading after the BIOS logo screen start tapping F8 until you get to a prompt that says:

boot:

In the prompt, type in:

-v

Now record any error messages that you get, or if it freezes at some point, take a picture of the error screen and post it up there. Also try typing this at (again) the boot prompt:

-x -v

See if it boots then, and again see what errors come up. Also try typing this at the prompt:

-s

And this:

-s -v

Well I've given you lots of stuff to try so try all the combos and see if any of them work and tell me which ones work. When booting with -v if there are any errors, post them up here.

pcwiz

I can't find the DVD--it's somewhere in my massive CD collection

Hehe, tell me about it. You may try booting off something else. Maybe that GParted boot disk or something.

The other alternative I can think of if you have another free temporary partition is to clone the whole disk over there.

hecker

Re-download the DVD then... Oh wait! I remember something...If you have Ubuntu Linux installed, do this: Create an OS X partition with Journaling DISABLED. Set the format to Mac OS Extended [withou journaling]. Clone your disk onto this partition. Ubuntu Linux can read and write to Mac OS Extended partitions when Journaling is disabled so boot into Ubuntu, find your OS X partition and delete the MP3s!

Alright, I have almost 8 gigs of free space on that partition. I tried booting it in VMWare and I got

"Operation on file "\\.\PhysicalDrive0" failed (Data error (cyclic redundancy check)).If the file resides on a remote filesystem, please make sure your network connection and the server where this disk resides are functioning properly.

If the file is a CD-ROM image or a floppy image connected to one of the virtual machine's drives, choose Continue, then disconnect the drive. In all other cases choose Abort to terminate the session."

Let me get this straight? So did you install MacDrive and were you able to delete the MP3s? Anyway, that VMware error doesn't mean theres a problem with your installation. Its an uncommon VMware error. Try booting OS X natively and see what happens.