Is it possible to fix MBR in OS X to bring back Vista?

stigma

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get dual booting with VISTA and OS X on my new setup (Gigabyte P35 DS4 + Intel q6600). I was trying to use Acronis, but after I install OS X, I no longer get the boot loader come up and it goes directly into OS X. Is it possible to fix the MBR and bring back the Boot loader?

*note OS X works fine.

My Partition looks like this

C: - VISTA (NTFS)

D: - OS X (was FAT32 Primary, now MAC Journaled after install)

E: - Files & docs (NTFS)

Installed OS X using JaS OS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 PPF2

Cheers

I was trying to use Acronis, but after I install OS X, I no longer get the boot loader come up and it goes directly into OS X. Is it possible to fix the MBR and bring back the Boot loader?

Try to see the darwin bootloader menu by pressing F8 as you boot in OSX: you might see a menu item (something like "other operating system") in the list, which could be your vista. If that works, do as the above user said so that you don't have to always press F8. More details here in the osx86 wiki.

Otherwise, you could use the Acronis bootable cd (that you wisely created after you installed Acronis disk director) and reboot on it; then chose to reactivate OS Selector (aoss). You'll then have AOSS back, with osx as a boot option.

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to get dual booting with VISTA and OS X on my new setup (Gigabyte P35 DS4 + Intel q6600). I was trying to use Acronis, but after I install OS X, I no longer get the boot loader come up and it goes directly into OS X. Is it possible to fix the MBR and bring back the Boot loader?

*note OS X works fine.

My Partition looks like this

C: - VISTA (NTFS)

D: - OS X (was FAT32 Primary, now MAC Journaled after install)

E: - Files & docs (NTFS)

Installed OS X using JaS OS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 PPF2

Cheers

just like the guy above me said,

you should use the vista install disk to get a command prompt, then using DISKPART just set the Vista partition as 'active' and vista should boot. if you created a multi boot file you should see the options