What do you think of the Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook?

7 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. Here are the specs and the options. Please take a look and let me know if I'm going to have any problems:

PROCESSOR---Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

MEMORY---2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

HARD DRIVE---120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

OPTICAL DRIVE---8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability

VIDEO CARD---128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS

WI-FI WIRELESS CARD---Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card

WEBCAM---Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera

SOUND OPTION---High Definition Audio 2.0

I need to make sure Dual Core, Wi-Fi and video will work. Thanks!

your video card is unsupported yet. and your wifi card goes to work, i have the same and with some fixes, works like airportextreme. and the core2duo only works with one core, the problem is the dell bios... byee

oops... sorry, i misread and thought that you had a intel 3595 wifi card. :( yep, your dell card will work. My HP dv6245us had the intel card, and I had to mod the bios and install a dell card. Now wifi works like a charm. Like jostftx said, i dont think ur video is supported yet.. Right now, on a notebook, your best bet is a GMA 950 or similar...

actually, most core duo/core2duo chips will work. for example, I have an HP dv6245 which has a core2duo t5200 and an intel GMA950 gfx chip. Both work very well with osx86. There is a limitation with dell BIOS's that may not allow for both cores to work.

As for your question about ATI/Nvidia, it doesn't really matter. You just have to do some searching around these forums to make sure whatever card you decide to go with is gonna be supported with the current titan/natit drivers. As a side note, if u arent gonna be gaming or using graphic intensive apps, an onboard solution such as a GMA950 is your best bet (its the same chip used in the macbook, so it has to work :blink:)